A puzzle for you curtesy of Rejet's ... lack of originality?

SilverAliisza

Snarky Gamer
Dec 27, 2013
I've been puzzled by Rejet recently (see attached pictures)

One is from a R18 Drama CD Yonshoku no Shihaisha to Hangyaku no Gouka
Other is from the new Criminale Rejet post http://rejetweb.jp/criminale/blog/2014/12/-ciao-signorina-rejet-6.html

>.> Those are like... 100% the same design.
Does anyone know what the actual hell? I understand the colors of hair may be the same on some characters, even the hairstyle, but these two look identical, despite being 2 different characters with different voice actors as well - and I checked for aliases, it really is two different people in two different character roles from two different series.

Anyone has any idea why they look identical to this extent? Is it a freaky coincidence?

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 204
  • tumblr_ng44tur0th1tycuhpo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ng44tur0th1tycuhpo1_500.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Both drama cd series are illustrated by Fuyuomi aka Yugumo, maybe that's why both characters look similar.

Maybe a lack of inspiration (they really do look alike) ? Maybe the illustrator wanted to give off the same impression from both characters or something...

Maybe a lack of inspiration (they really do look alike) ? Maybe the illustrator wanted to give off the same impression from both characters or something...
Yeah the only difference is that the Criminale guy has a bit of longer hair on the back. That's it. It's a bit... jarring.

Same face syndrome. It haunts anime artists frequently, because they rarely bother with fundamental art skills :rolleyes:.

You might notice how same face syndrome is progressing in Quinrose games as well.

Same face syndrome. It haunts anime artists frequently, because they rarely bother with fundamental art skills :rolleyes:.

You might notice how same face syndrome is progressing in Quinrose games as well.
It's weird because from my experience drawing even anime faces is so much easier on a sketch of a skeleton/skull; but that's not even sameface syndrome this time, their design - hairstyle/colors/accessories is so similar it's cringeworthy XD

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right about Quin Rose - the art really bothers me, it's one of the reasons I avoid their games. Weird proportions and all-too-similar faces. It's getting better with time, but still nowhere near as good as stuff like Ken ga Kimi (which is just adorably drawn and coloured) @3@

I was anticipating the worst, but it's not that bad. Though it is similar (like hairstyle and gemstone) the coloring technique seems different enough. Plus, they're making so many drama CDs people must be running out of ideas. :P

I was thinking something more blatant(?) like these:
copy.jpg
brocoli.jpg

Oh yeah, you're absolutely right about Quin Rose - the art really bothers me, it's one of the reasons I avoid their games. Weird proportions and all-too-similar faces. It's getting better with time, but still nowhere near as good as stuff like Ken ga Kimi (which is just adorably drawn and coloured) @3@

Same for me. I felt that all Quinrose games are of the same kind, with a big reversed harem (like ten guys around you !), with always the same guys. I recently tried to play one (Mermaid Gothic), but I guess I can't read further than chapter 2 (still in common route)...

I was anticipating the worst, but it's not that bad. Though it is similar (like hairstyle and gemstone) the coloring technique seems different enough. Plus, they're making so many drama CDs people must be running out of ideas. :P

View attachment 6327
View attachment 6328

I was more talking about the design of the character which is like the absolute same to my eyes (the coloring technique is just a smoke screen that 'hides' it)

The pics you gave can be just cosplays XD or characters legit made to resemble people.

BUT I do remember there being a game that blatantly copied poses for their CGs from some other place. If I find them I'll post them up.

Same for me. I felt that all Quinrose games are of the same kind, with a big reversed harem (like ten guys around you !), with always the same guys. I recently tried to play one (Mermaid Gothic), but I guess I can't read further than chapter 2 (still in common route)...

Well, the games are all similar but that's just because it follows typical otome (reverse harem). QuinRose characters all being similar is more about their faces which are all the same in shape and differ only in hairstyles, if even that. Ken ga kimi art on the other hand does have differences between characters that extend beyond eyeshape.

I was more talking about the design of the character which is like the absolute same to my eyes (the coloring technique is just a smoke screen that 'hides' it)

The pics you gave can be just cosplays XD or characters legit made to resemble people.

BUT I do remember there being a game that blatantly copied poses for their CGs from some other place. If I find them I'll post them up.

I can say for a fact that they're not cosplays, they're real singer groups and idols who just "happened" to wear clothes/hairstyles that then appeared in games. I'm not trying to make claims and accusations. It's just that a part of the internet blew up over this. ><
I think in Japan, "tracing" and "copying" are two of the bigger taboos, so similar character designs aren't as problematic.

I can say for a fact that they're not cosplays, they're real singer groups and idols who just "happened" to wear clothes/hairstyles that then appeared in games. I'm not trying to make claims and accusations. It's just that a part of the internet blew up over this. ><
I think in Japan, "tracing" and "copying" are two of the bigger taboos, so similar character designs aren't as problematic.

it's not problematic it's jarring because of how close the designs are XD

View attachment 6327
View attachment 6328

Woah, I never made that connection before! But who better to turn to than real idols when you're creating characters. I think HSJ's designer has questionable taste but that's for a different topic

Yeah, it's a common thing for a lot of artists, not only in games but also in anime and manga. Still, I have to agree that Quinrose is one of the biggest scene recycling offenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

TheB33 wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi can you please resend the games from 諾威水産? I've been looking them for some time even DLsite don't have these games
kihon wrote on Shine's profile.
Buying resources out of their own pockets, spending energy and effort, with almost no return so that everyone can enjoy the cultural and entertainment products of developed countries at almost zero cost walking in the dark to serve the light, they are real heroes
bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
darkvita wrote on ramori's profile.