Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: WOW #2 - April 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 968 Posts
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

WOW #2 - April 2016

This is a discussion thread for WOW #2. Here you can ask questions, post comments, and even post your draft work for others to comment on. While you can edit your entry submission post and remake your entry as many times as you please before the deadline, if you think there's still something missing from your story, consider posting it here first if you'd like to ask advice from your fellow entrants.

The theme for WOW #2 is WISH.
    I wish I could make people wish that my wishes would come true.

You don't really have to write about your wishes or (anyone's for that matter). While the theme of the first round may necessitate the actual happening of a journey of some sort being part of the plot, this theme doesn't require the elaborations of someone's wish or the writing of a story centred around such a feel. You can, for example, write about a normal narrative story with hints at the desires of a character that at the end of the story come true whether through their own efforts or force majeure (which, I must stress, is not the same thing as a deus ex machina). Let's see how far your imaginative talents can take you. Best of luck to all participants!

The deadline is on 30 APRIL 2016.
    You MAY edit your entry submission post as many times as you please before the deadline.

Please submit your entry before the deadline. If you're unsure about certain aspects of your draft entry, feel free to ask around in the discussion thread. You can have only ONE post in the entry submission thread, but you're not restricted from discussing the WoW as much as you want in the discussion thread. The deadline may be extended on our discretion if circumstances necessitate it, but it won't be shortened for no reason, so rest assured and don't rush. Take your time to make a masterpiece!

This thread is only for DISCUSSIONS!
    To submit your entry, please go to this thread instead.

Last edited by Ignis; April 7th, 2016 at 11:46 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If Only I Had A Life ancer_nyaa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #1 ParticipantWOW #2 ParticipantWOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #6 ParticipantWOW #7 Participant

Re: WOW #2 - April 2016

Not being a nit picker but isn't this WOW thread #2 ?

"This is a discussion thread for WOW #1 ."
    Last edited by ancer_nyaa; April 7th, 2016 at 03:05 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ancer_nyaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ancer_nyaa View Post
    Not being a nit picker but isn't this WOW thread #2 ?

"This is a discussion thread for WOW #1 ."
    Right. Must've missed that part after copying it from the previous round's thread. Thanks.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.
      Spoiler: Stats 

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    WOW #1 ParticipantWOW #2 ParticipantWOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #6 ParticipantWOW #7 Participant

I was just wandering, I got the participant award and stuff but one thing bothers my mind. What if I get another participant award? Will it have a number beside it?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ancer_nyaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I was just wandering, I got the participant award and stuff but one thing bothers my mind. What if I get another participant award? Will it have a number beside it?
    Yes. Both awards (participant and winner) for the first round already have numbering, too. It's not visible in the small award icons shown in your postbit and profile page, but the full-size icons are available on the award list page. WOW awards will use Roman numerals.

The reason I didn't add many at once like the SOTM is due to the bug inherent in the awards system that I thought I had managed to fix but apparently kept coming back whenever I added new awards. So, instead of adding WOW awards in a batch, I'm going to only add them right when they're going to be assigned to their rightful recipients.
    ancer_nyaa likes this.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Just putting it down here, I am planning to participate to this WOW. I just have a lot of things blocking me currently.

Most of the reason I am late is that I can't think of any ideas for now. However, I will have an idea! I hope...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ancer_nyaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Just putting it down here, I am planning to participate to this WOW. I just have a lot of things blocking me currently.

Most of the reason I am late is that I can't think of any ideas for now. However, I will have an idea! I hope...
    That's good to hear. Looking forward to your entry!

Don't let me be lonely here.
    ancer_nyaa likes this.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I will review Ignis' Short Story, The Verge Of Innocence. Before I start, I am totally not neglecting any research papers, totally not.

Spoiler: Review Of "The Verge Of Innocence" 
    I know it is weird to start with an over all thought of the story but I will start in an Overall thought of the story. Overall, the tone was spot on. It got that dark and sad feeling which I really like. It was really immersive even though I had to look up couple of vocabularies in google. Speaking of vocabularies, the diction of the story was vast (at least to me) which is always good for works like Poems and Short Stories or any literary things out there that I have no idea exist.

I thought that Misha will become like a batman figure after losing Veronica and Wolfgang. "A good ending is always good" said Ancer as he tried to sound cool.

In my opinion, it is worth a read......yeah.....go read it, well...if you've already read it, I guess go do something else like.....eat a pie
    Ignis likes this.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ancer_nyaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I will review Ignis' Short Story, The Verge Of Innocence. Before I start, I am totally not neglecting any research papers, totally not.

Spoiler: Review Of "The Verge Of Innocence" 
    I know it is weird to start with an over all thought of the story but I will start in an Overall thought of the story. Overall, the tone was spot on. It got that dark and sad feeling which I really like. It was really immersive even though I had to look up couple of vocabularies in google. Speaking of vocabularies, the diction of the story was vast (at least to me) which is always good for works like Poems and Short Stories or any literary things out there that I have no idea exist.

I thought that Misha will become like a batman figure after losing Veronica and Wolfgang. "A good ending is always good" said Ancer as he tried to sound cool.

In my opinion, it is worth a read......yeah.....go read it, well...if you've already read it, I guess go do something else like.....eat a pie
    I actually tried not to be too flowery (partially due to the word limit too, and I do have a tendency to get verbose), but I'm flattered to hear your compliment on the story being immersive. As for Misha becoming "like a batman figure", though, I thought a story with a theme of "wish" having a good ending would be too common. That, and Misha is actually a recurring personage (or personification; she's not always human) in the universe that is my mind, whom I always associate with death, darkness, disasters, purgatory, stuff like that.

Thanks for your comment!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    @ancer_nyaa; Glad to see you made it I like how the girl wishes for something so simple, something that many people take for granted but is so valuable to her. Perhaps it's also a situation that can happen in real life, wherein a resourceful person who (in everyone's eyes) has everything secretly desires for something that may seem trivial to others. Well written.

@aienma; Thanks for participating! I think your story is okay; the way I read it, all the "dark" stereotyping has less to do with racism or black-white enmity and more with how brighter skin colour within people of the same race translates to "beauty". Your location says you're from Malaysia, and if I have to culturally judge from your background, it seems to support my proposition that it has more to do with stereotypically-accepted aesthetics rather than racials, as is common with Southeast Asians. Of course, that doesn't make it acceptable in terms of social issues, but for all intents and purposes, it's fine as an entry.

The part that I really liked is when the main character phased out of reality and found "her"self back in her own childhood with her mom, followed by the maddening reality that she wasn't even who she tried to identify herself as (a girl). The ending is also well done, with a rather flamboyant speech and a 'lesson' accompanying the harshness of reality the main character had to bear. The writing could use some polish, but it's pretty fine as it is, and the idea is very interesting.
    Last edited by Ignis; April 25th, 2016 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to merge consecutive posts

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information