Win10- Having some issues with Japanese filenames.

Souldrake

Nov 21, 2015
Hello. I've recently reinstalled windows (going from win 7 to win 10) and am having some issues with Japanese filenames. Specifically filenames that are from files downloaded from Japanese game sites such as dlsite.

Now, I have installed Japanese language support and IME. IME works and I can rename a file in Japanese and it works just fine.
Non-Unicode is set to Japanese. Locale/Location: Japan (I'm really in Taiwan, but that shouldn't matter)
Computer has been restarted (many times since)

Issues:
-- Using the Japanese IME in JWPce doesn't seem to work properly-- another issue I would love to fix as I use JWPce quite often. Notepad works just fine... not JWPce =/

-- My main issue is file names in .zip files downloaded from some Japanese sites still show up as garbled letters and this prevents games from running properly. I have contacted dlsite, specifically, and they sent me a self-extracting .exe file and *that* worked properly, however, I would like to resolve this issue so that I don't have to do this every single time for my own sanity as well as theirs.

EDIT: also of possible note. No matter whether I download a Japanese game via site or torrent, the readme.txt files are always garbled text =/

Any help available for this? I don't recall ever having this issue in Windows 7. =/

Current version: Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I've run into the exact same problem with DLsite files. I solved it by using Locale Emulator together with WinRAR or 7-zip. Strangely, the LE + WinRAR combo has sometimes failed to produce readable filenames. That is, with some archives, the extracted filenames still come out garbled. LE + 7-zip, however, has never failed me.

Note: LE only works with 32-bit exes.

If all else fails, extract your Dlsite archives in a VM running a JP version of Windows. That's what I used to do.

As for garbled text files, LE can probably help with that (but, again, the 32-bit limitation). Or you can use a text editor with the native ability to switch between character encodings. For example, EmEditor allows you to view files in any encoding (you'll usually want Shift-JIS).

I've run into the exact same problem with DLsite files. I solved it by using Locale Emulator together with WinRAR or 7-zip. Strangely, the LE + WinRAR combo has sometimes failed to produce readable filenames. That is, with some archives, the extracted filenames still come out garbled. LE + 7-zip, however, has never failed me.

Note: LE only works with 32-bit exes.

If all else fails, extract your Dlsite archives in a VM running a JP version of Windows. That's what I used to do.

As for garbled text files, LE can probably help with that (but, again, the 32-bit limitation). Or you can use a text editor with the native ability to switch between character encodings. For example, EmEditor allows you to view files in any encoding (you'll usually want Shift-JIS).

Hmmm.. Thanks I will give those a try and see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread