Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Thought to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Thanks
    Thanked 102,965 Times in 26,452 Posts
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Community AwardMost PopularSOTM #30 WinnerSOTM #31 WinnerSOTM #32 WinnerSOTM #33 WinnerSOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #23 WinnerSOTM #52 WinnerSOTM #54 WinnerSOTM #58 WinnerSOTM #61 WinnerSOTM #62 Winner

Thought to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3

So i am in search to buy a Tablet i have had an iPad in the past but i wanted to try and a Windows based tablet. So i thought About Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

I found at store in my country Greece and they have stock and i am thinking to buy it. at 699 Euros.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3
    Screen 12'' Clear Type Full HD 2160 x 1440.
    CPU Intel Core i5-4300U (1.90 GHz).
    VGA Intel HD 4400 shared μνήμης.
    SSD 256 GB.
    8 GB RAM.
    Windows 8.1 Pro.

And i am also going to buy and the Microsoft Keybord-Cover

The machine is not for any kind of gaming it's strictly for my work email, word, power point, skype, web browsing.

@Ignis; your thoughts? Should i go for any net-book?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I Am Admin, Hear Me Roar! corocoro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 37,487 Times in 20,466 Posts
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdriveThree FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points

Re: Thought to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Why a Surface 3 and not a 4?
    Anyway, I for one enjoy my Surface. Depending on your eyesight and distance to the screen, you might find it too small for prolonged office work, though. It's great on the go, but for longer stints get a dock and a real screen or two.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corocoro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Community AwardMost PopularSOTM #30 WinnerSOTM #31 WinnerSOTM #32 WinnerSOTM #33 WinnerSOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #23 WinnerSOTM #52 WinnerSOTM #54 WinnerSOTM #58 WinnerSOTM #61 WinnerSOTM #62 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by corocoro View Post
    Why a Surface 3 and not a 4?
    Anyway, I for one enjoy my Surface. Depending on your eyesight and distance to the screen, you might find it too small for prolonged office work, though. It's great on the go, but for longer stints get a dock and a real screen or two.
    Coro, because i wanted a cheap solution and only for mobility reasons for those days that i will leave the office the iPad it's good but all the time sync with itunes it's became unreasonable. I won't work at the office with Surface i had many pcs that i do my work there. And as for the reason why 3 and not 4, well the 4 has starting price 1000 euros in Greece and i don't want to waste so much money in mobile solution.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdriveThree FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points

Well, go for it then.
    While you can sync with OneDrive on the Surface, it's optional and I found the experience to be pretty seamless (and very much in the background, so you don't have to wait until it's done) too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corocoro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Well, go for it then.
    While you can sync with OneDrive on the Surface, it's optional and I found the experience to be pretty seamless (and very much in the background, so you don't have to wait until it's done) too.
    I see, that's good. If the iPad Pro 12.9 OSX and not iOS (a huge i phone) i might go that way... but i can't stand this way to have a program to let you add what this think supports... And i sold my iPad Pro for this reason i felt that i don't have the freedom of a real OS like Windows or OSX.

Anyway the only that bugs me is the cover-keyboard / mouse pad, is this covering only the screen, and i wonder what i should do for the back-plate.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:

Yes, the keyboard only covers the front side. The back side is pretty scratch resistant, but if you're worried, you could always use a small laptop case to protect it. Given the Surface's size, there are a lot to choose from.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corocoro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Yes, the keyboard only covers the front side. The back side is pretty scratch resistant, but if you're worried, you could always use a small laptop case to protect it. Given the Surface's size, there are a lot to choose from.
    I will buy it ASAP online, they have 3-4 left and tomorrow the price will be 1000 euros... so i might better to get it now rather to loose the 300 euros discount offer.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 979 Posts
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Looks like I was late, and coro's already provided much more helpful replies (something I can't match since I have an Android tablet and not a Surface). If you still need an opinion, I just think it's a bit too powerful, especially when you already have a work PC and a laptop, and are looking for "a cheap solution and only for mobility reasons". I seem to recall seeing Surface Pro 3 with similar specs, but with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, retailing for around $500 or less (perhaps that's $600 for Greece, but still cheaper).

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.
      Spoiler: Stats 

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Looks like I was late, and coro's already provided much more helpful replies (something I can't match since I have an Android tablet and not a Surface). If you still need an opinion, I just think it's a bit too powerful, especially when you already have a work PC and a laptop, and are looking for "a cheap solution and only for mobility reasons". I seem to recall seeing Surface Pro 3 with similar specs, but with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, retailing for around $500 or less (perhaps that's $600 for Greece, but still cheaper).
    The one that you are talking has starting price 759 euros. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Core i5/4GB/128GB/W10). And the one i got with better specks is starting at 1000 euros. But It was a good offer from this specific internet store (e-shop.gr) they gave 500 pieces with 300 euros discount and because i knew a person that works as a salesman at the store here at my hometown. He said to me that it was a good deal and a few pieces left. And this e-shop.gr store has a very good reliability and the most important they have opened stores in all the cites of my country and that's a very good thing. I suppose that was an offer to boost their sales for the Easter Vacations. I know it's too powerful for for a mobile solution but it will free me from having a tablet to be in slave from a specific program aka itunes and ipad pro... That's the reason i sold my iPad Pro 6 months old i got tired to trying to sync some files that i wanted and i need to convert in the type that Apple want's As i said in a previous post IF the iPad Pro 12.9" that i had was Running a complete OS like the OSX El Capitan whatever i would never have thoughts to sold it. But as it is the iPad Pro is nothing more than an iPhone or an iPod in 12.9" inches. I want to have my i shortcuts or some files to my desktop and not to open a file manager or the iPhotos to see photos. I also want o have my Folders at my desktop and not again open a a file manager. Those things made me to go at Windows side.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 979 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
    The one that you are talking has starting price 759 euros. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Core i5/4GB/128GB/W10). And the one i got with better specks is starting at 1000 euros.
    Well, fuck me, I didn't think the price difference would be that much (it's $532 on Amazon). Sorry. Still, while it's nice that you got a discount, I don't think the difference in RAM and SSD size is worth that much price increase, especially considering that you get integrated graphics (no rendering, I guess?) on both the 4GB and 8GB editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
    I know it's too powerful for for a mobile solution but it will free me from having a tablet to be in slave from a specific program aka itunes and ipad pro... That's the reason i sold my iPad Pro 6 months old i got tired to trying to sync some files that i wanted and i need to convert in the type that Apple want's As i said in a previous post IF the iPad Pro 12.9" that i had was Running a complete OS like the OSX El Capitan whatever i would never have thoughts to sold it.
    That I agree. For all the things I despise in Windows in particular and Microsoft in general, I'd still get a Surface than an iPad or any other Apple product.
    unownHGSS likes this.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.
      Spoiler: Stats 

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information