Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Getting a new laptop

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group25000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    SOTM #37 WinnerSOTM #50 Winner

Getting a new laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    You're welcome. If it's just a brightness/calibration issue, I doubt you'll need a new laptop. If it turns dim as DA mentioned, though, it may be early signs before dying. Though, if you use your laptop as desktop replacement (i.e. you don't need the mobility/portability), and other than the monitor the laptop is still otherwise fine, you may want to look into getting a cheap monitor.

Budget 1080p 22" monitors are pretty cheap nowadays; I don't know the price standards over there, but you may be able to get one below $100 (plus an additional $5 for the VGA cable or whatever connector you choose). This is getting a bit off-topic, though.
    I took my laptop to a repair store and the told me that the inverter? or something like that is damaged and they wants 100 euros to change this inverter thing with a cable and and a new LCD Screen 15.6 1280x800 it's a very old panel they told me that it cost a lot to find the same. And the replacement for the panel is another 90 euros and all together plus 45 euros the money for the hours to repair the machine costs 235 euros i can buy an new laptop with that money! So it's time to graduate from my old hp.

i am looking for a new laptop now and my price range is up to 400 euros. I have found one that i like.

http://www.e-shop.gr/laptop-hp-15-ba...0-p-PER.901396

And i am awaiting also for Shishou to tell me his opinion about this machine.

My needs is always word excel power point the Blackboard from my university some photoshoping and some music internet browsing etch... i won't playing any games... but i remember Shishou saying to buy a machine with plenty of ram and with an SSD drive.
    Konstantinos likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Evdokia For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 102,965 Times in 26,452 Posts
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Community AwardMost PopularSOTM #30 WinnerSOTM #31 WinnerSOTM #32 WinnerSOTM #33 WinnerSOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #23 WinnerSOTM #52 WinnerSOTM #54 WinnerSOTM #58 WinnerSOTM #61 WinnerSOTM #62 Winner

Re: SOTM#50 - March 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Evdokia View Post
    I took my laptop to a repair store and the told me that the inverter? or something like that is damaged and they wants 100 euros to change this inverter thing with a cable and and a new LCD Screen 15.6 1280x800 it's a very old panel they told me that it cost a lot to find the same. And the replacement for the panel is another 90 euros and all together plus 45 euros the money for the hours to repair the machine costs 235 euros i can buy an new laptop with that money! So it's time to graduate from my old hp.

i am looking for a new laptop now and my price range is up to 400 euros. I have found one that i like.

http://www.e-shop.gr/laptop-hp-15-ba...0-p-PER.901396

And i am awaiting also for Shishou to tell me his opinion about this machine.

My needs is always word excel power point the Blackboard from my university some photoshoping and some music internet browsing etch... i won't playing any games... but i remember Shishou saying to buy a machine with plenty of ram and with an SSD drive.
    Seems decent in the first glance BUT the Shared Memory of the Graphics Card plus that it's an AMD Processor based machine i can't come to like them. But for the price range that you aiming it's definitely a good machine.

But anyway, i believe if we want to take further this conversation let's do it via VM or PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group25000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
    Seems decent in the first glance BUT the Shared Memory of the Graphics Card plus that it's an AMD Processor based machine i can't come to like them. But for the price range that you aiming it's definitely a good machine.

But anyway, i believe if we want to take further this conversation let's do it via VM or PM.
    OK I will send a vm to both later.
    Konstantinos likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Evdokia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

@Ignis; & @Dark Angel; I know it's off-topic that i will ask both of you, but please give me an option about this laptop. I will be going to Athens at Thursday and i might buy it from the store.

Thank you in advanced.

HP 15- ba037nv

AMD A10 P9600 2.4GHz
    8GB Ram DDR4
    256GB SSD
    AMD R7 M440 2GB Dedicated Memory
    Screen 15,6 1366x768px

Is it better than the other this one HP 15- ba071nd

Thank you,

I am very sorry for the off-topic.
    Konstantinos likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Evdokia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 979 Posts
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

@Ignis; & @Dark Angel; I know it's off-topic that i will ask both of you, but please give me an option about this laptop. I will be going to Athens at Thursday and i might buy it from the store.

Thank you in advanced.

HP 15- ba037nv

AMD A10 P9600 2.4GHz
    8GB Ram DDR4
    256GB SSD
    AMD R7 M440 2GB Dedicated Memory
    Screen 15,6 1366x768px

Is it better than the other this one HP 15- ba071nd

Thank you,

I am very sorry for the off-topic.
    I don't know about the price standards in Greece, but those laptops are overpriced. But more importantly: I really wouldn't recommend HP/Compaq laptops at all. HP is infamous for having overheating issues with its laptops. Seriously, just Google "HP laptop overheat" or similar words and you'll find plenty of stories about it.

My brands of choice would be ASUS, Acer or maybe Dell. ASUS and Acer are usually the best bang for your buck; however, they seem to have better batches of products in Asia than other regions (particularly North America), while Dell is usually more expensive (at least where I live).

A few years ago I would've recommended Lenovo as it's got solid products and a good hardware:price ratio, but the Superfish scandal made me sure I'll never buy another Lenovo product.

Also of note: depending on the price standards in your area, it can usually be cheaper to buy a laptop with a low RAM (but not necessarily low specs) then buying additional RAM yourself (e.g. getting a 4GB laptop, then buying 8 or 16GB of RAM yourself) rather than buying a laptop with 8GB as stock.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.
      Spoiler: Stats 

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Community AwardMost PopularSOTM #30 WinnerSOTM #31 WinnerSOTM #32 WinnerSOTM #33 WinnerSOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #23 WinnerSOTM #52 WinnerSOTM #54 WinnerSOTM #58 WinnerSOTM #61 WinnerSOTM #62 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    @Balsa; I'll have to echo the others; yours is a magnificent entry, but the only semblance of a "white day" theme is that it features a good-looking guy

I don't know about the price standards in Greece, but those laptops are overpriced. But more importantly: I really wouldn't recommend HP/Compaq laptops at all. HP is infamous for having overheating issues with its laptops. Seriously, just Google "HP laptop overheat" or similar words and you'll find plenty of stories about it.

My brands of choice would be ASUS, Acer or maybe Dell. ASUS and Acer are usually the best bang for your buck; however, they seem to have better batches of products in Asia than other regions (particularly North America), while Dell is usually more expensive (at least where I live).

A few years ago I would've recommended Lenovo as it's got solid products and a good hardware:price ratio, but the Superfish scandal made me sure I'll never buy another Lenovo product.

Also of note: depending on the price standards in your area, it can usually be cheaper to buy a laptop with a low RAM (but not necessarily low specs) then buying additional RAM yourself (e.g. getting a 4GB laptop, then buying 8 or 16GB of RAM yourself) rather than buying a laptop with 8GB as stock.
    This is the bare trute Ignis, The price here in Greece as you see is always high! I tried to help her out but the price range that she is looking for the cheapest choice in many stores are the HPs. I also hate them and also i hate even more the AMD because also the AMD in HPs laptop are also have even more overheating issues. But for this Price range that Evdokia is looking i cheap. At list to have some performance, because there are and some even more cheap machines but those don't have dedicated memory for their vgs and they use the stock intel HD 500 series, and all of them have a shared memory with the Ram.

Asus / Acer / Dell are the "Elite" brands and for the same specs that evi is Looking they want around 200-300 euros more of the price that you have seen up to now...

Anyway because we are adrift from the thread. If only Evi's house wasn't so small with those money i would defentetly build in order a small tower pc with monitor and it would be a great.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

@Ignis; & @Dark Angel; Asus / Acer / Dell are way out of my league! That's why i said to buy again HP/Compaq because the one i bought back at 2007 hp 1.7 GHz Centrino 2 GB Ram nvidia 7400 gs 128mb worked up to this day! Even as we speak i am typing through this machine, ok the panel gave up but for over 10 years that owned this machine i was so happy working with it. It did't have any problems. Well it was warm sometimes but it didn't have any serious issues.

That's why i am thinking buying again HP/Compaq.

And yes as Shishou said prices here in Greece are very high and we can't buy from amazon, bestgear, etch. Even if we bought an item from those stores the customs will have us to pay a penalty fee of the 24% tax of the original price of the item that we bought.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

I moved our posts into a new thread so we don't have to worry about going off-topic anymore. Let me know if you'd like the thread title changed.

Asus / Acer / Dell are the "Elite" brands and for the same specs that evi is Looking they want around 200-300 euros more of the price that you have seen up to now...
    Dell I can understand, but ASUS and Acer are "elite" brands? Really? They have a lot of budget laptops here...

At list to have some performance, because there are and some even more cheap machines but those don't have dedicated memory for their vgs and they use the stock intel HD 500 series, and all of them have a shared memory with the Ram.
    Evi mentioned that she won't be using it for gaming, right? Basic office tasks don't require a standalone graphics card; however, it becomes complicated when you throw Photoshop into the equation.

Strictly speaking, a decent graphics card is only necessary if you do tasks that require processing, like denoising (Greycstoration, Topaz DeNoise, etc), but obviously, you'll be better off with a graphics card for doing graphics design. It's arguably even more important than an SSD.

@Ignis; & @Dark Angel; Asus / Acer / Dell are way out of my league! That's why i said to buy again HP/Compaq because the one i bought back at 2007 hp 1.7 GHz Centrino 2 GB Ram nvidia 7400 gs 128mb worked up to this day! Even as we speak i am typing through this machine, ok the panel gave up but for over 10 years that owned this machine i was so happy working with it. It did't have any problems. Well it was warm sometimes but it didn't have any serious issues.

That's why i am thinking buying again HP/Compaq.
    I see, good to hear. Of course not every single HP/Compaq laptop has overheating issues; it's just that stories of that happening are so common everywhere that you should be careful about that.

Anyway, I personally would no longer trust Lenovo, but they claimed that the Superfish adware was no longer being installed on Lenovo machines. If you're willing to take the risk, how about getting a Thinkpad? Hardware-wise, it's still solid, and the prices are decent.

Oh, also:
    If only Evi's house wasn't so small with those money i would defentetly build in order a small tower pc with monitor and it would be a great.
    Small, compact PCs with mini-ITX are getting less and less hipster. I'm thinking of building one myself, because my room isn't exactly big. There are a lot of mini-ITX cases on the market, and you can pack decent power into that small size.

You just need a monitor after that. As far as I can remember, the smallest 1920x1080 monitors I've seen are at 21.5", which aren't very big physically. Of course, there are plenty of smaller LCD screens, like 17" or even 15" if you really can't afford the physical space.
    Dark Angel, Evdokia and FinalPyre like this.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Re: Getting a new laptop

@Ignis; You are the best man! Also my self i made a small but powerful HTPC i bought a new tv for the living room so i made that small tool of destruction that's what i call it...

This is the configuration and it was very chip to made 315,34 Euro.

VGA Low Profile MSI GeForce GT730 4GB
    Ram DDR3 6GB 2+4
    CPU Intel Pentium G3258
    Μητρική Κάρτα Gigabyte H81M-DS2
    SSD Kingston V300 60GB

For the work that i am using it's powerful also i thought that an HTPC like this one should cover Evi's needs!
    The only thing that i don't know is that if she wants to carry her computer everywhere so it's also and matters of mobility.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Re: Getting a new laptop

Hey thanks Yes, something like your HTPC would be good. While most people perhaps build HTPCs for home theatre uses, you can build something similar for daily needs. Just adjust the components to match your needs.

Personally, I'd go for a normal HDD instead of an SSD, especially if price standards in Greece are higher. If you want to save as much as you can, just get plenty of RAM (at least 8GB) and use your PC responsibly (don't install random programmes, etc). SSDs are fast, sure, but you have to consider whether the difference in prices is worth it. Overall, though, considering things there are overpriced, 315 EUR for that config isn't bad. It should be able to run games decently, too (just perhaps not the latest AAA).

The only thing that i don't know is that if she wants to carry her computer everywhere so it's also and matters of mobility.
    Yeah, that's also a concern. Is Evi a student? If so, she'll almost certainly need a laptop anyway.
    Dark Angel and Evdokia like this.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information