Denied An official ASF image( additional also video)-host service (Or whatever you mean would...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanashi1

One of countless souls...
Elite Member
Jul 5, 2012
1st: Just a side note of me (what not or at least partly with this topic to do has): At Prefix-menu needs maybe an new term, Mixed.

2nd: Well, to topic now. Well, I've since some weeks the thought/suggestion about an service at ASF thought, where maybe easier were for the Staff-members and for the members: It'd not bad, if sometime in the middle-far/wide (Or maybe you're already on planning or at least is on plan...) future of ASF an own image-host had, because to be honest: It's somewhat annoying and frustrated that with the Attachment system the pics very small (Well, I know we've just on the pics click to enlarge, but nevertheless...) are and in some cases doesn't work/appear. ASF had just an storing server to build: It shouldn't big be, it'd enough be for every member so 50~100 MB space. - On this service can then the Staff/Members their images (Siggies/Avas, photos or for threads some random pics) upload, and did already at title mentioned, video: For AMVs or private videos thought.

Until now had we always an another and further webside (Image host) open/sign in because of a or more pics to upload, and then from there the URLs of the pics copy and then here it paste. By the new service of ASF can you and the others these tasks with an webside solving, insead an further webside because of this to open.

The financing of this plan can by a donation possible be.

Well, I'm now from you interested about this idea, okay?:goodtea:

Generally, it takes more time to upload images as attachments than to use one of those external services.
Those external services have remote upload, flash upload, auto thumbnail, etc.
I use turboimagehost for example, which doesn't require login, have remote upload, and can set the size of thumbnail.
If people prefer login, imgur and minus is better. Or for some uploaders, imagetwist to earn a few bucks.

It also takes a lot of money to host an image server. Unlike yande.re that doesn't have junk picture, a regular image hosting service will have a lot of junk uploaded to it that you can't really delete without pissing off users. Not to mention needing to deal with CP which is a big no-no. I think it is going to be either a full fledged service or none at all.

Or alternatively, buy a $15/year cheap VPS then install nginx on it, then you can serve whatever image you want to show people.

Upvote 0
Just let's clear somethings: This service should to ASF connected be, not extern how yande.re (Well what Kurokaze mentioned has)... - This should instead of the Attachment system at the post-menu-bar replaced be.

And [MENTION=6343]FlowerTradeWinds[/MENTION]; - Even you maybe not in your image-host to sign in/log in have, you've then nevertheless an another webside to open because of them/this, or? - What is if you not time have (Busy are) the image-host to open, but you want nevertheless at your upload-threads (Or at an random thread) some pics (And additional also video(s) post/upload?

Upvote 0
Just let's clear somethings: This service should to ASF connected be, not extern how yande.re (Well what Kurokaze mentioned has)... - This should instead of the Attachment system at the post-menu-bar replaced be.

And [MENTION=6343]FlowerTradeWinds[/MENTION]; - Even you maybe not in your image-host to sign in/log in have, you've then nevertheless an another webside to open because of them/this, or? - What is if you not time have (Busy are) the image-host to open, but you want nevertheless at your upload-threads (Or at an random thread) some pics (And additional also video(s) post/upload?

For example, I use 350x350 for covers and 250x250 for screenshots (350x350 for DLSite because there are only 3 images)
This is usually sufficient for users to decide whether to download or skip the release.
If the screenshots are too big, it will slow down the page considerably.

You can open multiple images at the same time by ctrl+click on picture. Because the image size will still be the same, you will not really save much time by using the attachment or the external page.

Upvote 0
1st: Just a side note of me (what not or at least partly with this topic to do has): At Prefix-menu needs maybe an new term, Mixed.
First things first: no; this would eliminate the distinction between a question, a suggestion, and a bug report. You could argue that a bug report might stem from a question, such as a member asking why function X does Y instead of Z, but this thread clearly falls within the realm of suggestions. Having a "mixed" prefix would dilute the difference between the existing prefixes and effectively defeat the purpose of having different prefixes to begin with.

On to the topic: I'm going to laid bare the options pertaining to the different topics at play. At a first glance, I thought nanashi was suggesting an image host system on a separate server, something like Imgur, for the forum members to use. FlowerTradeWinds has nicely elaborated possible risks of and downsides to running such a service, especially as the only options damn us if we do and damn us if we don't. an image service without a login system is definitely easy and convenient, but also open to abuse. When you put up a service that's open and unrestricted on the Internet, anyone can and will use it. If it ever gets popular, it'll be just a matter of time until we get nastygrams in our inbox.

On the other hand, a login system would require an intensive amount of effort to figure out: ideally, if we had our own image host, it would integrate your forum accounts so that you could use your forum username and password to use for the image host, preventing non-members from using it. We've considered this idea ourselves for a while now, but we haven't been able to come up with an effective solution to accomplish this from the technical and resource standpoint. There's always the possibility of manually creating user accounts for the image host based on forum accounts and handing the details to forum members individually, but that'd just burn us out in no time.

However, from the way you (nanashi) laid out your suggestion, I take it what you want is a better attachment system of some sort. Something integrated to the forum and, more importantly, something you could access by just using a button or a pop-up window without having to open another site in another tab (which is just a few clicks away, I must add). We'll consider our options and evaluate whether this is viable at all; however, our own efforts notwithstanding, you could do this yourself with a few simple steps:

1. Open a new browser window (not a tab) and go to your favourite image host out there (Imgur, Minus, what have you).
  2. Shrink that new window as small as possible, as long as you can still see the upload button of the image host in question, so as to avoid being intrusive.
  3. Use a programme like Window On Top to keep the now-small new window on top of everything else, including your main browser window.
  4. Voila, you have your very own makeshift image uploading software you can use anytime. Allow me to demonstrate:
    public.php
As for a Booru system, an image host and an image board are two totally different animals. Sites like Imgur and Minus belong to the former category. A Booru belongs to the latter. It's a community system where uploading images is less than half the point: people can comment, annotate, make pools, and more. It was never meant to act as an everyday image host. Checkmate has a Booru in the making; however, it's totally unrelated to the meat of the suggestion in this thread. There's also the fact that a Booru is in no way a "plug-and-play" kind of system.

Finally, regarding video uploads, it's a field that's much trickier due to encoding issues. When you upload an image, you're basically telling the server to take your file, store it somewhere, and generate a link you can use to display said image. The server doesn't need to tamper with the image in any way―some services like Photobucket may scale down your images, but that's not a necessity, as a server can just display an image as is.

With videos, you get a lot more variables to muddy the water: there's the issue of different formats and containers, there's the issue of soft subs vs. hard subs, there's the issue of having closed captions and/or annotations, and more. Implementing a working video upload system requires more thorough research and cost-effective analyses into balancing the resources, costs, and efficiency. While our possibilities are by no means shut off, it's not an undertaking we wish to impose on ourselves for the time being.

Reactions: nanashi1
Upvote 0
Wow Ignis, your descriptions are always the hummer...^_^!

Anyway, well, I'll the options what you me now given have sometime try... So far thank you very much for your tricks, and I hope that some my suggestion(s) in one or other wise work will...:goodtea:

Edit: You can the thread close now!

Upvote 0
i love the ToS
Any bishoujos including, but not limited to loli, kouhai, classmates, osananjimi, miko, nekomimi, except oneechan and senpai on iWTF belong to Checkmate. You agree to waive your waifu ownership when you upload to iWTF.

Upvote 0

The site is supposedly to be used by the staff only but I decided to leave it open for friend's usage as long as nobody are abusing it.

Unfortunately, there are still some abuses lately but it's still manageable at this time. However, I cannot promise it will stay opened for forever.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。