Downloading via XDCC

By now, most if not all of you must have heard how the Megaupload takedown has caused an indirect domino effect to most other major file hosting services. For people like us involved in content sharing and downloading, this ultimately means inconvenience caused by dead links among other things. More details about this have been discussed here.

In relevance with our Fortune Arterial translation project, we have also taken the liberty of providing the game via XDCC for those having problems obtaining a copy. More details here.

What does this have to do with XDCC?
Lately, we have been seeing posts/comments/messages asking us to reupload certain ASL releases. Normally, we would just reupload the requested files, but with the current state of file hosting services, chances are you would be told to try downloading from torrent or XDCC instead. Unlike torrents, XDCC does not depend on seeds and the files will always be available on the bots unless something unexpected happens. This is especially true for older releases, which obviously are more likely to have dead links.

What do I need to download from XDCC?
An IRC client, that is all (okay, also an Internet connection and sufficient disk space). For XDCC to work, you cannot use a web client like Qchat or Mibbit. You need a standalone IRC client, e.g. mIRC, Irssi, XChat-WDK, KVIrc, HydraIRC, etc. Some clients might require you to tweak some settings first before you can download smoothly via XDCC. For this tutorial I will only be giving an example each for mIRC and Irssi, two clients that I personally use. For other clients, please refer to their respective manuals.

Please note that these are just standard settings meant for easy downloading. To connect to an IRC network (in this case Rizon), you can usually use either one of these commands:
Code:
[PLAIN]/connect irc.rizon.net
/server irc.rizon.net[/PLAIN]

Or one of these for SSL connection:
Code:
[PLAIN]/connect -ssl irc.rizon.net 9999
/connect -s irc.rizon.net 9999
/server irc.rizon.net +9999
/sslserver irc.rizon.net 9999[/PLAIN]

Note that Rizon provides more than one port for SSL if you have problems connecting to a specific one. For more elaborate details, check Rizon's server list or try connecting through a standard non-SSL connection and check the MotD to see which ports the server you're connected to allows SSL. If this paragraph makes no sense to you, just ignore it altogether and stick to using either one of the first set of commands.

If none of the commands above work for you, please consult your client's respective manuals.

• mIRC:
    Tools -> Options -> DCC. Check the "auto-get file" option and adjust it as shown on the picture below.
    20121102113052.png

Then click the "trusted" button and key in our bots' hostmasks (if you have no idea what hostmasks are, simply entering their names in the format shown below should suffice). Note that you do not need to have all bots in your trusted list; only add the bot(s) you plan on downloading from. Users in your trusted list can send you files without asking for confirmation; add any other users at your own risk.
    • AS|Sena is for ASL releases in FLAC.
    • AS|Hinata is for ASL releases in V0 VBR MP3.
    • AS|Ruri is for AST releases and related files.
    20121102113156.png

And finally, go to DCC -> Ignore. Choose the "accept only" option and key in *.rar.
    20121102113300.png

• Irssi:
    Simply type the commands below, one line at a time. Again, you do not need to have all bots in your autoget list.
    Code:
    [PLAIN]/set dcc_autoget ON
    /set dcc_autoget_masks AS|Sena!*@* AS|Hinata!*@* AS|Ruri!*@*
    /set dcc_autoresume ON[/PLAIN]
    20130806060341.png

If you run Irssi on a non-Unix-based operating system (e.g. Windows or OSX), the default configuration for directory path-related settings may not work (Irssi is, after all, inherently intended for Unix-based systems).

To change your download directory, first type
    Code:
    /set dcc_download_path
    and see what Irssi returns. This value is set by default to ~ but you can replace it with whatever path you prefer. You can use an exact path
    Code:
    /set dcc_download_path C:\Users\Adaline\Desktop
    or a relative path,
    Code:
    /set dcc_download_path ./Files/Downloads
    whereby . points to your Irssi installation directory. For example, let's say I installed Irssi to C:\Program Files (x86)\Irssi. Therefore, my download directory will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Irssi\Files\Downloads.

20130806060742.png

Make sure the target directory is fully accessible (not set to read-only; something like 755 or drwxr-xr-x if you run it on a server). For this reason, it is not recommended to set your download path to a protected directory (e.g. C:\Program Files). It is also not generally a good idea to run Irssi or any other IRC client with administrative privileges; therefore, please set your download path to somewhere writeable like Desktop, another disk drive like D:\, etc.

How do I find what I want?
There are two ways:
  1. Go to our XDCC parser and find what you want. It automatically interprets spaces as underscores, so do not worry about them. Found what you are looking for? Good. Click on the item you want and you will see a pop-up box with the syntax you need to paste in your IRC client.

20121102114105.png

And that is all you need for your download to start. You need to stay in the channel (that is #[email protected]) at least until the transfer is complete. The bots will not acknowledge your DCC request if you are not present in at least one of the channels where our bots are.

Please note that:
    • Javascript is required to use the parser, so you may want to (at least temporarily) disable NoScript and the like.
    • Static content on the parser is cached by our CDN service. This means that your search results may possibly be outdated by up to 24 hours and newly added releases may not appear immediately. For newer releases, please refer to the alternate way below.

2. Alternatively, join #[email protected] and use the !find (or @find) trigger to find what you want (e.g. !find shimotsuki). The bots will then send you a notice containing the search results.

20130806061149.png

See that each search result begins with numbers? Those are pack numbers; copy-paste the numbers corresponding to the releases you want and send a message to one of the bots with them.

For ASL FLAC releases:
    Code:
    [PLAIN]/msg AS|Sena XDCC SEND #[/PLAIN]

For ASL MP3 releases:
    Code:
    [PLAIN]/msg AS|Hinata XDCC SEND #[/PLAIN]

For AST releases:
    Code:
    [PLAIN]/msg AS|Ruri XDCC SEND #[/PLAIN]

For details on AST releases, please refer to either the info page or this thread for details regarding grabbing the releases via XDCC. Our bots automatically announce new releases as they are added, so feel free to lurk in the channel to get our new releases faster than anyone else (with the exception of staff, of course).

And that concludes this tutorial.

This thread will stay open for questions, not general and/or unrelated comments.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a bit new in IRC. I am using Mac, so I tried using IRSSI.

I have done what you have said but I am having trouble in connecting to #[email protected].

I have searched how to connect to a server and found that this command connects me to #[email protected]:

/server #[email protected]

These are the logs after running the command:

12:12 -!- Irssi: Looking up #[email protected]
12:12 -!- Irssi: Unable to connect server #[email protected] port 6667 [nodename nor servname provided, or not known]

Please help. Thanks.

Please note that the server should be irc.rizon.net
Then join channel #anime-sharing

try

/server irc.rizon.net

/join #anime-sharing

Hi,

yesterday, I was downloading 4-5 ost via XDCC and today, when i try connect to the server i can't. I got a ban. Can you tell me why did i get a ban?

Hi,

yesterday, I was downloading 4-5 ost via XDCC and today, when i try connect to the server i can't. I got a ban. Can you tell me why did i get a ban?
Please post the status message you got.

Sorry about that. There have been spammers posting similar links on Rizon and most if not all of them have your ISP's hostmask. An overly wide ban range was applied, but it has been removed now.

I'm getting an error after sending a packlist text. It says I need to register.

First change said "nickname already exists." The second change said "invalide username."
Changed it to a name without a number, still says invalid. Tried turning off a firewall too.

I don't know why but whatever you're changing into is invalid. Do not include any special character in your username, that's include any [@#$% of the signs.

Your user name was [~_] which is an invalid user name

Aside of alphanumeric characters, you can use only a handful of symbols like ` - _ \ [ ] | in your nickname. Also, AS|Sena and AS|Hinata are not channels - you are supposed to join #anime-sharing and query them your XDCC commands.

I figured it out.
1. The login name was set to _ as a default. (there was a "nickname" which I was changing. and a "real name".)
2. I was using AS | Sena as a channel.

I used my name as the login, and #anime-sharing as the channel. It's working now.
thanks~

Hi, I'm new here, I was wonder why I can't get a file that's around 2GB size, is it because my client?
I'm using ViRC, I can't find any other client as simple as this.

Edit: Found a client KVirc that can download that 2GB file... ;)

Last edited:
AS|Hinata- ** Sending you pack #1193 ("[ASL]_Various_Artists_-_Dies_irae_-Acta_est_Fabula-_Original_Soundtrack_-_Neuen_Welt_Symphonie_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar"), which is 374MB. (resume supported)
-AS|Hinata- ** Closing Connection: File Error, Report the Problem to the Owner (No such file or directory)

pm me after it gets fixed lolz

AS|Hinata- ** Sending you pack #1193 ("[ASL]_Various_Artists_-_Dies_irae_-Acta_est_Fabula-_Original_Soundtrack_-_Neuen_Welt_Symphonie_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar"), which is 374MB. (resume supported)
-AS|Hinata- ** Closing Connection: File Error, Report the Problem to the Owner (No such file or directory)

pm me after it gets fixed lolz
Try pack #1194. Seems like someone forgot to remove #1193 after correcting minor inconsistency in the naming.

Try pack #1194. Seems like someone forgot to remove #1193 after correcting minor inconsistency in the naming.

lolz did that before i did 1193

so you gonna replace it with something else?

and btw, is the xdcc the entire collection of asl to date?

No, it will be removed eventually

You have to idle constantly in #anime-sharing to find out what we have to offer. Packlist listed in the websites are only update once a week. Release on the website shows everything however, but post may be delayed anywhere from a few days to a few months or never shows up at all.

lolz did that before i did 1193

so you gonna replace it with something else?

and btw, is the xdcc the entire collection of asl to date?
Retry #1193, then. I just tried it and it worked.

06:42 [znc] DCC SEND from AS|Hinata [*.*.*.* port *]: [ASL]_Various_Artists_-_Dies_irae_~Acta_est_Fabula~_Original_Soundtrack_-_Neuen_Welt_Symphonie_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar [373MB]

06:42 [znc] DCC receiving file [ASL]_Various_Artists_-_Dies_irae_~Acta_est_Fabula~_Original_Soundtrack_-_Neuen_Welt_Symphonie_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar from AS|Hinata [*.*.*.* port *]

06:44 [znc] DCC received file [ASL]_Various_Artists_-_Dies_irae_~Acta_est_Fabula~_Original_Soundtrack_-_Neuen_Welt_Symphonie_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar [373MB] from AS|Hinata in 00:01:39 [3863.84kB/s]

so i have to thread necromancy those older singles and albums or are the oldest in the irc channel already? lolz

I seemed to be getting capped at around 30kb/s... I looked around (other xdcc related servers) and it's all the same. I'm using limechat on osx. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have a solution? Could it be ports? I have no bandwidth limiters installed either.

I hope someone can help!
Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Explore elegance with Anemoii's women's moissanite pendant necklace sets, meticulously crafted to perfection. Shop our collection to discover timeless beauty at competitive prices. Elevate your style with the perfect blend of luxury and affordability.
Ruri wrote on Shine's profile.
Hello, can you please reupload for mexashare both MP3 only and Full-Version of RJ301587? Thank you!
Link
ann10 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello could you re-upload the english version of 春に生きれば (Haru ni Ikireba) ? https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/190525-snow-ground-春に生きれば-v21-08-30.1196982/

Thanks
Otakutaku wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Would you please reupload this? Thank you for all of your effort, kind Ryzen111-sama.