Why do you have to choose a resolution after editing a video?

GenKiDan

おわり
Elite Member
Apr 12, 2012
Note: I wasn't quite sure whether to post this here on in the amw section.

As the title says: Why do you have to choose a resolution after editing a video?

The few times I've edited a video, I just want to trim a bit here and there perhaps, but it would ask me what format and resolution I want to save in, and it annoys me so. Cause I have no wish to change anything besides the actual trimming or whatever it is I've already done. And ofc there is no "original" saving option.
I don't necessarily even know what the original resolution/bit rates ect is.

So why is it like this, and how can I keep everything the same as the original video ?

P.s. do me a favor ? and make a mention if you reply to this.

As the title says: Why do you have to choose a resolution after editing a video?

The few times I've edited a video, I just want to trim a bit here and there perhaps, but it would ask me what format and resolution I want to save in, and it annoys me so. Cause I have no wish to change anything besides the actual trimming or whatever it is I've already done. And ofc there is no "original" saving option.

So why is it like this, and how can I keep everything the same as the original video ?

Depending what the format is you will have to re render the video to make the changes correctly.
Can you please say what software you are using as it would make it alot easier to answer your question lol.

GenKiDan said:

You can view the properties of the video you are working with in Media Players like MPC or VLC, usually just right-click and there should be a "Properties" option, so just copy whatever properties you see listed there when saving/exporting your edited video. Also, like Ren said, it would help if you could state the software that you are using :)

Last edited:
Depending what the format is you will have to re render the video to make the changes correctly.
Can you please say what software you are using as it would make it alot easier to answer your question lol.

You can view the properties of the video you are working with in Media Players like MPC or VLC, usually just right-click and there should be a "Properties" option, so just copy whatever properties you see listed there when saving/exporting your edited video. Also, like Ren said, it would help if you could state the software that you are using :)

To you both, thanks, I'm a bit lost with these things, and if it isn't intuitive enough I sometimes end up being frustrated. This was something I remembered frustrated me a long time ago, like last year. Pretty sure it was just windows movie maker I was using ><

There are usually too many options to choose from, and no explanations why one should pick one thing over the other I feel.

I think WMM only has bit rate and no size i am not sure as i dont tend to use it at all.
Also forgot to ask what format the video is.

VirtualDub allows you to cut sections out and do a direct stream save without any other changes but only really caters for AVI files.

As with most other software you will have to render it as a specific size unless you choose the settings to use as the originals if not mistaken. Anyway find the default size of your videos and plan what the max size/resolution you can have.

use Sony vegas to Cut out the sections of the videos you want down to the frame then add then add them into 1 video as you can edit many videos in it at once for bits and pieces then when you go to save it render it as your max resolution with a nice bitrate.

Forgot to mention you may have to convert the videos to a readable format for sony vegas to see them.

Yes. This is because in general you can't just chop off pieces of a video from the start or end and just save it like that. You are completely changing the encoding, so you have to re-encode it at the end. In general, just choose whatever resolution you had before (should be fairly obvious). It is called up-scaling when you choose a higher resolution than you had before (normally little point in doing this).

The other very important thing is the bitrate. A good bitrate will vastly differ from what container and codecs you are choosing to render your video too, because they all apply different compression. A safe bet is too look at the properties of your video and see what the average bitrate of that was, and then either use that or bump it up a bit higher (assuming you are using the same container like mp4 or m2t or whatever).

If you are using something professional like Sony Vegas or Final Cut, there will be a lot of options because people like to micro manage these things (myself included). If you want to learn about certain settings, you should look at your program's documentation (or whoever developed the setting).

I think [MENTION=37707]FinalPyre[/MENTION]'s explanation is as good as it gets! To retain quality I think your best bet would be to copy your sources' properties and export. Or, you could do some reading on codecs and their respective properties to get a final video with better quality/smaller file size etc.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

TasogareHentai wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry for disturb, but can you please reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
リクエスト
これのアートCGをお願いします。
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?