Tutorial on converting .mkv to .mp4.

Since I like to watch my anime on my 50 tv, I had to find a way to get files to work with my apple tv since that is the way I like to watch videos and movies. Took me a little bit to get things to work right and I think I have the settings correct.. I had to convert the .MKV files to a .MP4 file. If you have a jailbroken apple tv, some .MKV may work but in my case, most won't. I use hand break for the program that converts it for you, including getting the subs on there as well. So far I haven't seen a mismatch in subs to sound or sound to video. I also haven't seen a loss in quality as well. Try it out and see if it works for you, and if something is not working right, let me know so I can update the tut. FYI, i have never made these before, so don't mind the crudeness. Also it is a 2.2meg file, I'll put it in spoiler mode though.

handbreak_tut_by_shrekfx-d5aubdz.jpg

Last edited:
You have a I Phone? Mhhh... let me think...

There we go.. I do have an iPhone. I just had to get the image fixed.. For some reason when I upload it to flixr or photobucket, it made it smaller so I went to dievntart and it kept the full size. woohoo..

Oh! ... This is a different things... But let me for you a alternativ soft-ware search, okay?

Thanks for making this a sticky... :runhappy:

Anywho, these steps should/will work if you want to convert your .mkv and use them to play on your iPhone/iPads as well.. I haven't tried. I've heard that when you make them smaller, it can mess up some sync issues. I'll test it out and post the results, but I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

My PC is hooked up to my 60" HDTV, so this guide doesn't pertain to me, but thank you nonetheless. It helped me help a friend who is not registered on this forum.

that's a nice guide. if you have a ps3 or xbox 360, all you need is a program called "ps3 media server" and you can play any video file on your ps3 or xbox 360 via network

I'm surprised I rarely see people using Mediacoder on these sites. It is pretty solid, and if you want you can micro-manage just about everything you could possibly want. You can also tell it how to use your cores, so you can leave one free if you still want to be using your computer a lot, or use them all for nice speed: using single-pass ABR, I can do a 720p file at ~2500kb/s under 5 min, so I can do a full season in about an hour (though I am also using i7 3770k @ 4.6Ghz, with hyper threading I can still generally use my computer like normal even using all cores :D).
I guess the only downside is you have to at least teach yourself the basics (they have tutorials) in order to start figuring out how to get what you want from it. I still hardly know anything about encoding, but I can generally do just fine with it.

Wow thank you so much! Most of my anime is .mkv there's been times Ive wanted to change to other format.
Never know when i might want to put something on my psp to watch on the go (Road trips or the sort)

If you want to convert one file format into another TMPGenc ist still the best choice! It eats nearly every file format and convert it into a file you want. Additional you can cut video files with it, put several files together and TMPGenc provides many filters and other options to improve the look of your video file. And its very easy to handle! It costs money, but Version 2.525 ist still freeware.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

Since I like to watch my anime on my 50 tv, I had to find a way to get files to work with my apple tv since that is the way I like to watch videos and movies. Took me a little bit to get things to work right and I think I have the settings correct.. I had to convert the .MKV files to a .MP4 file. If you have a jailbroken apple tv, some .MKV may work but in my case, most won't. I use hand break for the program that converts it for you, including getting the subs on there as well. So far I haven't seen a mismatch in subs to sound or sound to video. I also haven't seen a loss in quality as well. Try it out and see if it works for you, and if something is not working right, let me know so I can update the tut. FYI, i have never made these before, so don't mind the crudeness. Also it is a 2.2meg file, I'll put it in spoiler mode though.

handbreak_tut_by_shrekfx-d5aubdz.jpg

I Use Handbrake Too - You Use A Powermac???

Well.....Mine Takes About 5 mins For a 30 mins Show........ Approx. 1min - 6mins Converted....

I use handbrake too and had a problem with "Audio: delay relative to video ~xxx ms". The source of the problem was the "H.264 Profile: Main". After I switched to "Baseline", the delay disappeared. (The warning from MKVmerge can be ignored.)

Just a info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。