Over power CPU + suck ball GPU? What the hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflower

A.C Milan Fan Club
Elite Member
Feb 24, 2012
Every time I shopped around for a decent pre-built gaming machine, I usually came across this kind of system configuration: take Compusa for example, they are having a discount for Acer and Nyx system for less than 1k, the CPU for both machine is i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB to 1.5 TB HDD
sound good? yes, until I look at the motherboard and graphic card
nVidia GT 550
PCI x16 slot -1, available 0
Come on, this is a gaming system for God's sake. Can't they put in a better graphic card? An i7 CPU can cost around $300, but what is the point to have a kick ass CPU while the GPU suck balls? I noticed that it is a trend in pre-built machine. They dump a lot of power in the CPU and RAM which is TOTALLY unnecessary. For most home user, even heavy gamers, an i5 2500k is overkill and it's $100 less. I can even save more with 2400 or even 2300 and spend that money on a decent GPU. Of course a slow CPU can drag the whole system down but a decent one like AMD Phenom II X4 only cost like $130 and not many game today can take advantage of all cores.
Oh and I still haven't touched the motherboard. Most motherboard they offer only have 1 PCIx16 slot, and they call it a gaming machine?
Long story short, with around 1k, I can build a much better PC myself, which can totally kick all of the above in the nuts when it comes to gaming., an i5 with 6GB RAM, a GTX 570 (Or at least a GTX 560Ti) and a motherboard with 2 PCI x16 slots. Not exactly a dream machine but it can easily chew all the games today on highest setting and still have enough room for upgrade later.

Custom built PC is always my preferable method.

I say, you'll be more satisfy with PC that you build your self, coz you choose every pieces of hardware for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha