My Planned Build

shinigamidaiko

Mastermind
Elite Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hi everyone, i'm going to change most of the components of my Desktop. And i would like to have your opinions concerning this build. I don't plan to use it for gaming, here are the tasks which it will handle :

- Convert files from Lossless Formats (FLAC,WAV) To Mp3
- Watch 10-bit 1080p anime and Blu-ray music videos
- Decompress huge files
- Convert M2TS blu ray files to high quality MKV rips

The build is made of :

Mobo : Asus B75M-A

CPU : Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2

CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

RAM : G.Skill F3-1600C9D-16GAR

SSD : Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB

I already have a PSU, an nvidia 8400 GS graphic card (since the Xeno doesn't have an integrated GPU), two external USB 3.0 HDD for storage and an internal DVD writer.

I'm not the right person to ask this but wouldn't you be better off also asking this build in a more computer technology forum as well? I haven't ever used this build for what you're trying to achieve but I feel that there's something off. Like you might want to check compatibility and if you have enough power to supply it to start off. If you haven't considered a UPS for what you're doing, consider it.

The first 3 points can be done on a normal desktop computer that comes in the price range of 1000 USD to 2000 USD. The forth point is something I haven't tried since I don't own BD DVD to test that out. In-fact, if you're going to use Blu-Ray DVD, in physical media, you'll still need a Blu-Ray DVD writer as well.

Also consider getting at least 8 GB of RAM. Lately a lot of programs been using large amount of resources from RAM.

Anyway, there's a few more computer technical people on this forum that will always correct me in this discussion. And possibly someone who have experience in encoding and decompressing large files before re-encoding the files whilst maintain high quality single file media will answer you.

Well the Power Supply Unit i have provide 500 Watts, and for the blu-rays i apologize as i forgot to put that i'm planning to buy a BD Writer. The Ram i mentioned in my post is actually composed of 2 * 8GB modules. And thank you for your opinion. (And i'm also hopefull for more answers by other members.

What I meant is UPS, consider it if I were you. This is incase you're encoding or decompressing a rather complex file and want to prevent power surges or short black outs affecting you. Has happened in my area every so often but not sure if it does for you.

Although do another run through the power calculator if I were you to make sure you have enough power. 500 Watts of power to me is a bit dicey, especially if it's 1 to 3 years old. If it's beyond that, it can be really dicey when it comes down to consumption of power required to operate safely at. Hope you meant 500 watts of RMS continuous power going through your system, otherwise I'm going to say consider a better one.

This is coming from experience for power supplies since my system actually required about 750 Watts and higher to run with all the things within my system.

My apologies, i got confused between UPS and PSU :P The power is my area is very stable, we see black outs only once or twice a year. And the for power surges, i never noticed any. My PSU is two years old, so i think i might have to buy a new one. Do you think that a brand new PSU like the OCZ Xtreme 500 Watts is good enough or should i aim higher ?

As HatoriTakaya mentioned, first 3 things could be done on most common personal computers.

I'm not completly sure, what you mean by "decompress huge files".
If you mean, decompressing 10GB rar-packages on a daily basis and time doesn't matter, there's no need to upgrade.
If time does matter and you do it like 20-times a day, i'd recommend to add additional drives and probably building a hardware-raid.

The most important factor seems to be your CPU, so maybe it's best to improve on this side.
Not quiet sure about nowaday's generations, but in general you could upgrade the amount on cpu-cores, since x246 scales to some point.
Maybe you could make better use of your money by buying an AMD-8-Core processor.

Altough there seems to be working support for x264-Encoders for NVidia-Graphic-Carts with CUDA-Cores.
I'm not informed properly, but i think it's worth investigating ;)

edit:

Without any high-powered graphics card, your psu shoudn't be a problem

It's actually close 10 GB like you suggested, i download xbox 360 iso files and soon plan to get a PS3. Both supports's games are usually available in several 1GB files. And i also download Blu-ray concerts in RAR split files. Therefore it's not a daily usage, and i don't need to have supersonic decompression speed.

Concerning the CPU, does that AMD you're talking about have 8 logical cores or 16 (i don't know if AMD has something like Intel Hyper threading). And the Xeon i mentionned has 4 physical cores and 8 logical cores (using HT).

The AMD has 8 physical cores.
But I think two of them share something together ..

I just looked it up a little bit, searching some benchmark-sites.

Some state, the FX-8350 shouldn't be much better, than e3-1230, but didn't state any measured data ..
On several sites i usually visit, the FX-8350 has about 25-50% more speed (compared to e3-1220).
Mostly in non-gameing-environment.
But on the other side, they consume much more energy. So after maybe one year of intense reencodeing you probably could have bought a much faster and more expensive intel i7.

But since i recommended a faster cpu, let's forget about amd (my fault) -.-
Maybe a 3770K would do the trick?
Should be a fast cpu with easy overclocking capabilities.

Well i have considered getting the i7-3770K frankly, but i don't plan to overclock (one of the reasons behind my choice on a unoverclockable CPU like the Xeon) and the 3770K also have an integrated GPU which i don't need and which also increases the TDP and the power consumption.

Well - since you didn't specify your financial ideas behind your build, i didn't know :)

Somehow i managed to ignore your 8400GS.
This GC is very very lowend. I say, srew this card as far away as possible.

The integrated intel HD 4000 Graphic should be much better and more important, in the end, takeing less power.
Although you can keep the 8400GS and use it, if needed.

Little story from me:

I own an i7-860 and never thought about overclocking even for a second. But recently i tried ripping some of my old DVDs, since they took too much 'analog' space. When one dvd took about 30 minutes, i decided to OC my cpu. I entered the bios and about 20 seconds later I had about 1GHz (35%) additional. So ripping tool between 10-15 Minutes less time.
And even the power-saving functions were working, if no load was applied.

Well i'm a little short on budget, so that's a bit problematic for me. The difference between the two CPU is close to $100. And since i live in Tunisia, i have to import most of these components (as they're aren't available in my country) which mean that i will pay higher custom fees for more expensive products.

Just quickly whipped through here, I may have missed something.

Other than price, why Xeon? If one of your main focuses is encoding, you may really appreciate saving up a bit more and going for the i7 3770k (and then a Z77 mobo). That way you get your hyper threading and can easily overclock to 4.5 GHz or so. You shouldn't even have to worry much about fans since you are getting an evo :) I can convert a FLAC file to an MP3 in a few seconds with an i7.

500 watts shouldn't be bad if you aren't putting in a power-hungry GPU, but remember that a PSU going bad can fry your system, so it isn't really something you want to cheap out on.

To save some money, you could probably downscale on that SSD quite a bit, unless you really want to store a lot of files on it. Half that size should be able to hold your OS and a good deal of programs. I have a 124GB SSD, and with Win8, all my programs, and a handful of files on it, I still have over 50GB free space. :)

And I think I saw something about using CUDA for encoding? No. Cuda encodes look like garbage (or need obscene file sizes). It was a big letdown for me. :P Also only for video, obviously.

Well i wasn't planning to use CUDA for encoding, the GPU would only serve for display. But i guess i can discard it if i get a 3770K. Actually i can wait if i have to, but i chose the Xeon because i'm not expert at overclocking and because i want to keep to have a powerful yet quite machine. Do you think that the even with an overclocked 3770K, i could keep the noise to a decent level ? And concerning the SSD, since i'm not planning to change the build in 2-3 years, i would like to have a solid SSD and the samsung 840 Pro has a great reputation when it comes to durability (though the results of durability are based on simulations/stress tests).
And concerning the PSU, do you have any suggestion for a reliable model ?

I have a 3770k, and my PC is extremely quiet. If I have headphones on I can't really hear it at all. That also depends on your fans and case though.

Doing a simple overclock to 4.5 or so is actually pretty easy. Just read up a bit on how to do it and you should be able to get a stable one in no time. :)

Hmm I'm not sure which ones would be best. I have Corsair Hx750 which seems pretty good, but it is probably overkill for your system (mine too, really :D). I'd just look for anything in the wattage you want that is at least 80+ bronze, and has a decent rating with many reviews (check sites like newegg to see its reputation).

Probably for the best, especially since getting the better CPU may mean it is quite a few years before you feel the need to upgrade again. :)

Reactions: shinigamidaiko
The OS i'm using is Windows 7 64 bit

I can actually help you on this one since I'm probably only one series lower than you in terms of CPU and other components in my build.

If you're worried about noise, you can always get a after market CPU cooler to reduce the fan load, if you're that worried. Although I'm not sure how much your budget is but I'll get you the approximate amount relative to US approximate in my region. But like the others said, getting a better and reasonable PSU will save you upgrading in the future, making it easier to upgrade without spending for another PSU.

Assuming we are to ignore the UPS, as you mentioned you don't have frequent blackouts, this is what I put together for general use PC. Please note the budget is maximum of 2000 USD. If you need to downgrade parts, please downgrade the ones you can't afford or just ignore the ones you already have.

Estimated Life Expectancy of this Unit: At least three years. If well maintained in terms of cleaning and other task, definitely more than three years.

Computer PartPart Name/ModelCan be Replaced
CPUIntel Core i7 3770KNo
Mother boardASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA MBYes
RAMG.Skill F3-1600C10DYes
Tower CaseCoolerMaster Storm Enforcer Black ATX CaseYes
Opitical DriveLG CH12LS28 Blu-Ray Combo DriveYes
Video Card/GPUASUS GeForce GTX650 Ti, 1GBYes
PSUAntec High Current Gamer 750W Power SupplyYes
After Market CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EvoYes

These are an idea how the build may or will end up. This comes a close to 1700 USD, an overestimate, to account for price increases if there is any. The only thing I would stick on this list is the CPU if you want something that has the potential to overclock in the future for faster processing. The entire build isn't the best so it's your best interest to figure out which one you want to downgrade to get your best performance from.

Personally, since I tend to use a lot of SATA devices, you should always have:
  • One for the Optical Device, your BD DVD Writer
  • One for your GPU
  • One for your OS HDD
  • One for a spare HDD
  • and if you have the money find a motherboard that has two or more slots ready to be used in the future

Power Supply, also known as PSU, you should focus on the RMS, in plain English continuous power output, unless you want to be ripped off with an inferior product. Make sure it has at least enough or more cables to power up the machine and enough power to supply to the tower even after aging taken into the calculation. This includes:
  • GPU
  • Number of HDD
  • Motherboard
  • Other parts you may need (Depends what need to be connected to the PSU directly)

Video Card or Graphic Card, frankly speaking, if you have spare amount of cash that is within your budget. Buy a decent 500 or 600 series if you can afford it. Otherwise you can get it later when you want it.

RAM in general, if you got RAM that works, you should use it until it runs into errors. My personal preference is DDR 3 types.

Tower Case should be only bought if you need to expand your case to fit more things in. Otherwise it's your preference.

Optical Drive, the BD DVD Writer, get a decent one. You're going to be using it for a long time unless you want to replace it every 3 to 5 years.

After Market CPU Cooler, stock is good but if you want something and have some spare cash, that's one of the choices I went with with my i7.

Although I used a different motherboard with different parts listed from here. Most of the parts here are the parts I've actually tested and used, just one or two generation lower. So consider it a guide in short and the build ends up costing close to 1600 to 1700 USD. It's pretty expensive and I'm pretty sure I got a motherboard that had more SATA slots than that one so I actually went for more.

The way you were going on before at the Opening Post, I thought you were trying to build a server which is why I hesitated. If you need a dedicated unit to be a server, than that's out of my field of actual usage at home.

NOTE: Can't make the table have borders in this forum. I'm losing my touch in HTML and BB Coding it seems.

Last edited:
Thank you for this detailed guide and here what i think :

First of all, i can't go beyond $1000 or $1200 at best for the moment, so i will have to skip on The new GPU (500 or 600 series).
I think i would stick with the i7 3770K since i can improve its performance later on.

Concerning the RAM, the one i already choose is of course is DDR3 but i has better latency compared to the one you mentioned.

My case is super huge, and i has enough room for everything that i planned to get and even for more, so i'm covered in that area.

The LG burner looks good, but i have heard that a new generation of blu-ray drives (supporting the new 128GB discs) is coming, so do you think i should wait or go ahead with the one you mentioned.

I will try to get the fund for the "Antec High Current Gamer 750W" PSU, even while it's quite expensive.

Can't we figure which one is more quite between the CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo and the Cooler Master 212 EVO ?

[MENTION=3190]shinigamidaiko[/MENTION]: Give me like an hour to answer your question. I have to research parts to keep facts at the basis of your choices. This will be updated every 10 minutes until I finish with the post.

Work In Progress

CPU
Yeah, it's the top CPU in my Market and probably around the world at this very moment. There's nothing more you can get better unless you're a computer manufacturer with high degree in skills of building something out of this world. Like a supercomputer. That CPU should last you for say... 5 years if you're greedy and 10 or more if you don't intend to goes intensive in gaming. It'll be at mediocre at ten years time and can possible work with all office programs by then.

Which reminds me I have a Intel Celeron System that still works with Office 2007 Programs. A bit slow, but it works fine. Oh by the way, Celeron was released around 1998 and it's 2013 right now, so think about it.

CPU Notes
In terms of CPU Fan Cooler, I was advised initially the CPU Stock Cooler would do the job. But since I was the guy who wants things to last longer, I ended up buying the one I suggested. Frankly speaking, the one you picked is actually better due to better design. Wasn't there when I bought my PC System so if you have the budget, it's worth investing.

BD DVD Optical Drives
Alright, there's always going to be something better. Lets say you don't intend to do anything with BD DVD and you can install your own optical drive. Then you can wait, since you have the knowledge to safely install your devices and know how to troubleshoot when things go south. It comes down to whether you want to wait for a better advance of technology or need it now.

And I really need someone to pitch in their experience with BD DVD Drives in the market. I don't intend to buy one until several years later if I actually need it. So I'm hoping someone who have used one will give their experience and opinion on it.

RAM and ATX Case
Well if you got better ones, then it's all good. I did mention ignore the ones you don't need.

Power Supply Unit
I will be honest with you here. That's the one I have, the Antec High Current Gamer 750W, which been running at 24/7 with rests in-between that can range from 30 minutes 4 to 8 hours. Depending on the season. Around 40 Degree of heat, it works well and don't screw you over unless you don't have enough ventilation or cooling in your system. That includes fans and others type of cooling depending how you want cooling in your system. I run a Fan System as a main basis of cooling.

The main reason why I bought that PSU was that I needed that many SATA cables which is now all used up. My projects back in tertiary education was huge and required it. If you don't think you will have 5 HDD, 1 Optical Drive, GPU and 3 other devices that need to be powered up. You will be fine. You can go something cheaper with less SATA cable, then you can do so. But this is my optimal build for the basis of 100,000 Hours of use. General it will still take 11 Years of running 24/7 all year round to run that thing down. But I should remind you that you should be replacing PSU when things goes south but it has a 5 Year Warranty so it should last at least that long.

Last edited:
Of course, take your time :)

Well I've done most of the explanation and research there. It didn't take long since some of these products are the ones I'm using so I only had to find facts and experience with these products. I'll see if there's a better PSU that is within your price range.

EDIT: Okay... I had a look and for my Market, we're only talking about a 10 USD to 30 USD difference. That's not a lot of leg room for this kind of purchase. For my market approximate calculation, it comes down to 150.00 USD. Give and take 20 USD in margin in error.

So lets say you need the CPU, the motherboard you need to pick something reasonable. So can you tell me what is the chances of needed more than 6 SATA slots in the system. The more internal SATA devices your system needs to run, the better the motherboard has to be. The motherboard I advised was a example.

If you want a better motherboard to suit your needs, we can use more information on how much you plan to expand in the next few years or even how long you want to use the system for.

The Current Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA MB has only 8 SATA internal ports [Corrected] from what I'm reading. I feel that's pretty bad choice I gave you honestly. So I'm looking into the other motherboards to readjust the previous list and posting the new motherboard I think you should consider.

/Off-Topic/
Also I'm a ASUS biased due to my past experience with them versus Gigabyte. Had a full Overclocked System based on Gigabyte parts and it actually went south in six months. It was a beast in High Specifications Gaming and if you got something heavy to throw at it in terms of computerizing, it will churn it and show what 'Beast Mode On' is like. Still going to troubleshoot that machine when ever I feel like to find out what was faulty in the end. Can't run without shutting down in 5 minutes flat.

Don't let that experience of mine get you down. If Gigabyte or whatever company that produces your parts worked well with you, then stick with it.

EDIT... AGAIN:
Feels bad, sorry, I'm bit skittish when it comes down to details that affect future builds. The motherboard is good. It has 8 SATA ports internally. Had to compare it to the same series of boards to make sure the information was right and why it written in that manner.

That's plenty for several years to come, if your case is what you claim to be. You can fit a possible of 6 to 7 HDD/SSD depending if your GPU, also known as Video/Graphics Card, requires a SATA Port or not. And lets be honest, you can always use one PCI to expand more SATA ports if you really need to.

If you don't need that many SATA internal ports, then there's cheaper alternatives which is still good. I simply chose that motherboard assuming you're keeping that CPU for a long time. I'm thinking on the lines of seven to ten years of no upgrading of your System parts for motherboards and CPU.

If you plan to upgrade your CPU and Motherboard in five years flat, I would heavily advise you to pick a cheaper motherboard. A motherboard with six SATA internal ports is still decent and if you're not going to add more than 2 HDD then you're better off not buying this motherboard.

A similar motherboard that is around 100 USD Cheaper in my market, is ASUS Maximus V GENE Motherboard. This motherboard is relatively the same but just be wary about having to RMA if things goes south. The same as the one I mentioned, there's reports needing to "remove the wifi module or install wifi module without the metal L bracket." This assumes you're building the system yourself.

Another Edit: This will be last one on this post in regards to motherboards. Lets assuming you're going to replace your CPU and motherboard in 5 years or better yet, you don't need 8 SATA internal ports. ASUS P8Z77-V-LK MB, Intel Z77 is much better that lets you have six SATA internal ports.

If you need another two or more ports, you can always expand it for 30 USD minimum approximately to have a one or two more SATA PCI Expansion slots to help support more SATA internal devices. This excludes all the costs of someone professional doing all the basic cleaning, readjusting all my wiring and ensuring all my cables are neat and has clear airflow within my system.

Pretty sure it's two, but I didn't do the cabling for my system so I can't tell. The said item is comes under as 'Manhattan SATA 300 RAID 0/1/5.' Does it job pretty well supporting extra SATA devices on a PCI expansion slot. But this assumes you have spent on a decent PSU to support the extra SATA devices, otherwise you need to buy a better one which is not want you want in a long term. The one I have suggested has a RMS, continuous, power supply of 750 Watts at all times with the ability to support 9 SATA internal devices. It should last until you choose to dump it.

Last Edit of this Post: Naturally this is a long post with a ton of information about expansion than anything really. If anything, before you make any purchase do all the final research on the items you intend to purchase before hitting that pay button. I'm no professional in this field but I do have experience in these parts. And when I say professional, I'm talking about being that computer technician that fixes over hundreds of systems in a year level for many years, with load of variance of system builds.

Each motherboard I suggested, however, has different performances in other areas such as integrated HD audio, external USB slots and so forth. Make sure you look it up if that's the very part you want to buy under your budget. Otherwise you can expand next time to include things that is consider extras like sound card and so forth. And if you don't plan to watch most of your media off your PC System then you can ignore features like HDMI and that stuff. It really something to get you into the loop of buying something you may never use.

Honestly it sounds like you can skimp a lot with ASUS P8Z77-V-LK MB, Intel Z77 since it doesn't seem like you're going to need a powerhouse gaming system. This will literally give you space to buy that CPU, Intel Core i7 3770K, the SSD, SanDisk - SDSSDX-120G-Q25, the PSU, Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply, and Video/Graphic Card, ASUS GeForce GTX650 Ti, 1GB, for about 1000 USD. Give or take 200 USD based on whatever factors your market pricing schemes. All the pricing comes from my nation market prices, so this excludes a lot of things like customs and so forth.

Cheaper 6 SATA Internal Ports Build (Non-Modular PSU)
Notes: All prices I've listed comes from Amazon as a base resource to get prices under the assumption of USD pricing. I've added the highest price as the standard to ensure absolute maximum on how much it will cost you. This is to date from 2013/05/19 regardless of time zone. And I ignored all price reductions, otherwise it won't be accurate.
Computer PartPart Name/ModelPrice
CPUIntel Core i7 3770K314.14
Mother boardASUS P8Z77-V-LK MB, Intel Z77149.99
PSUAntec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply149.95
Storage Device (SSD/HDD)SanDisk - SDSSDX-120G-Q25134.99
After Market CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo39.99
Video Card/GPUASUS GeForce GTX650 Ti, 1GB151.25
Opitical DriveLG CH12LS28 Internal Blu-ray Reader/DVD-Writer - GT1075119.64
Grand Total​
Account Possible Delivery and Customs200 to 400

Not too shabby for the cheapest motherboard with everything I can throw at it. If you went with 'ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA MB' switch the price with 389.00 and you get the idea on how much it costs you. This excludes everything else like shipping and customs note. So I don't really know the true final price unless you do the maths yourself. Pretty sure if you add a total of 200 to 400 USD on it it be around there. Never shipped things over or even have it sent in 48 hours deliveries so I wouldn't know.

Now, I'm want to take a day break before I go over this again. Read it over and consider your options. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
I have read your post and i'm rather impressed by the effort you have put into this post and i thank you for it, it's really helpful :)
I know that you won't be around for 24-48 hours, and i'm not in a hurry to buy either (i'm gonna probably buy in a couple of weeks).

Concerning the storage, i will only install the SSD and the BD reader/writer inside the case. All my storage will be composed of USB 3.0 HDDs and several NAS drives (with other external HDDs attached to them as well). So 8 SATA ports would be an overkill. And i'm also used to Asus products and that's why i'm planning to buy an Asus mobo. Since i'm short on money, i would buy a cheaper motherboard (maybe stick with the B75 based one even while i know that Z77 based mobos are better).

I should probably get the PSU you mentioned (Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply) to ensure future improvements. I think that i will go with the i7-3770K and an after-market cooler the Hyper 212 Evo (which is better in handling overclocked CPUs based on my research).

And i'm gonna have to get the GPU later on, because i'm not planning to do any gaming on it. And the CPU would take care of all video related processing.

Maybe you could make better use of your money by buying an AMD-8-Core processor.

8 Core CPUs doesnt make sense. A lot of software out there to convert media files still doesnt support that amount of cores. An AMD Phenom II x4 /x6 or an Intel core i5 / i6 CPU is absolute sufficient.

SSD : Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB

128GB are a little less if you dont use an external hard disk or something like that to store your media files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。
nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.