Hello everyone~

If you're reading visual novels and depend on translation programs and text hookers, here's a small guide into the new ITH (Interactive Text Hooker) that has been developed.

I'll update more if there are people who need help with other things. For now, I'll just show the basics of ITH and a few things about Translation Aggregator (TA).

I'm sure there are people who use Chiitrans. That's also another choice, but this thread will focus more on ITH and Translation Aggregator.

---

Updated: 16 September 2014 (EST)

A solution to the game Wolf RPG. If you have a similar game, then scroll to the bottom of this post, labelled "Solution to Wolf RPG", to find the solution.

Updated: 18 December 2017

Thanks to [MENTION=87]Frankincense[/MENTION] All images in the thread that are dead have been re-uploaded again.

---

Quick Note

- Some of the things in this guide may require ATLAS, a translation program.
- Here is the site for those unfamiliar: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/software/translation/atlas/downloads/

Like I mentioned, this small guide is to mainly help people with ITH and TA. I won't go into detail about ATLAS, but I would recommend it for 'quick, overall translations'.

---

Interactive Text Hooker

1. First thing you should check is when you open ITH and your game...

- Go to ITH and press the 'Process' button.
- Search for the name of your game.
- Click the game's name and click 'Add Profile'. Press 'OK'.

Here's an example below. My game's name is 'PersonA'.

step.png

2. To make sure it's added, go to ITH and press 'Profile'.

Here's an example below. As you can see, the game is added.

step1.png

3. Next, go to ITH and press 'Option'. Make sure these are checked and press 'OK'.

- Auto attach
- Auto insert
- Auto copy to clipboard
- Auto suppress repetition

These enable the translation from Japanese to English and captures the text.

Here's an example below.

step2.png

4. In ITH, insert the hook you have in that rectangular white box.

I'll be using my hook /HW4@42E3A2.

As you can see below, my text is all jumbled repeated Japanese...

step3.png

5. After you type the hook and press 'Enter', you then press 'Hook' on ITH.

Scroll to find your hook. It should be labelled 'UserHook' or labelled with the numbers and letters you inserted as the hook. Then select that hook and press 'OK'.

See below for the example.

Step4.png

6. Click the text/dialogue box in your game or anywhere so ITH can detect/pick up the text with its new hook you inputted.

See below... just click somewhere so ITH can generate your new hook.

step5.png

7. Go back to the front of ITH, and scroll until you find 'UserHook' or whichever new hook you inputted, and pick the hook that corresponds and displays the right text for your game.

See below for the example.

step6.png

Result: It should generate the text like this picture below.

step7.png

8. Go to ITH, and press 'Save'. This saves the hook and makes sure that if you open ITH again, the hook you used will be there the next time you play.

9. Please close/exit ITH. Then open it up again. If you did it correctly, when you press 'Profile', you should see your hook.

Here is an example.

steps.png

---

Translation Aggregator

Once you have downloaded TA and saved it in a suitable location, please check the following things to get you started.

1. Please download Mecab and the edict files for Jparser.

Mecab

- Download Mecab here: http://code.google.com/p/mecab/downloads/list
- If you haven't installed Mecab before, download the '.exe' (execution file).
- If you have installed it before, just download the updates with the extensions '.tar.gz'.
- When installing, choose a dictionary other than 'UTF16' like 'UTF8'.

Jparser

- Download Jparser here: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/edict_doc.html
- Download either 'edict.gz' or 'edict2.gz' or both.
- Decompress it and put it in TA's 'dictionaries' folder.

Please see below if you aren't sure.

la1.png

la2.png

2. Open TA, click 'Tools', and make sure these two things are checked.

- Translate from = Japanese
- Translate to = English

Here's an example just in case.

aggr1.png

aggr2.png

3. If you have done it correctly, you can open TA with ITH and your game running.

As you can see below, Jparser can translate text if you hover over the word. You can see Mecab is functioning and the other translation boxes as well.

result.png

---

Extra Tip for Translation Aggregator

If you would like to see your game's top menu bar in English, please do the following.

1. When you open TA, go to 'Tools', and go to 'Launch Text Hooker'.

If you're not sure, here's a picture.

steps3.png

2. Find your game and double-click it or press 'Open'. Once done, please click 'OK'.

Here's an example. My game is 'PersonA'.

steps4.png

3. Hover over your game's menu bar and it should change to English.

See below for an example.

steps5.png

---

Solution to Wolf RPG

Give thanks to [MENTION=84482]Abdalmaus[/MENTION] ; and [MENTION=2724]Sakimichi[/MENTION] ; for their time and effort in providing the solution.

/Ks2 should work, but if no one can answer you question I suggest using VNR. https://code.google.com/p/annot-player/
WolfEngine doesn't need any hook codes and the repetitions are already removed.
Plus Chiitrans2 is already an abandonware.
5Kz2tW4fJb.jpg

Go to preferences and do this:

Run the game and Go to options:

Update
If anyone ever run into the same problem as me:
Run the game through agth separately instead of trying to start it from Chii.
Command line I was recommended is: "c:/agth.exe" /c /x3 /kf64:16 /ks2 "game.exe"
Turn on Chii after you set it with the right monitored thread on AGTH.
Check "Enable clipboard monitoring" on Chii and "Check for repeating phrases"
If you're using ChiiTrans2, just run game and select "AGTH inject (...)"

Now I got both software working as I wanted
VNR is perfect for me to play VNs and some other games on fullscreen (specially with widescreen)
And Chii for windowed RPGs!

I take no credit on that solution, I'm not sure if I can mention other forums here.

---

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or anything else please feel free to do so.

Additional Info:

Here you can find an excellent guide to Text Hooker by Aero:

http://amaenboda.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/an-aero-gamers-guide-to-using-atlas/

Thank you for reading~

Enjoy your games. ^^

Edit: as of March 2014, Google have updated their API so TA cannot communicate with it anymore. There's a highly beta, untested fix located here
You can download them from there or the link below:
View attachment Source - Translation Aggregator 0.4.9.3.r174.zip
View attachment Translation Aggregator 0.4.9.3.r174.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Checkmate.

It is certainly much appreciated for you to take your time to look over my guide.

If there are people who require assistance and anything that may prove useful, I'm willing to update with further information.

[MENTION=2724]Sakimichi[/MENTION]

I believe that as long as you enable 'Auto suppress repetition' in ITH... It shouldn't repeat the characters.

At least, from my knowledge using ITH, if you select the right hook, there shouldn't be repeated characters.

From my understanding, /ks is applied to AGTH.

If you are using AGTH as your text hooker, then you add /ks like this:

C:\AGTH\agth.exe /HA8@41B010 /ks

You use /ks2 when your text has something like 'AAABBB'. Therefore, you need to rid of 2 'As' and 2 'Bs'. So the target name would look like this:

C:\AGTH\agth.exe /HA8@41B010 /ks2

I hope this clarifies some things. If it does not, then by all means, please share your thoughts.

Last edited:

I believe that as long as you enable 'Auto suppress repetition' in ITH... It shouldn't repeat the characters.

At least, from my knowledge using ITH, if you select the right hook, there shouldn't be repeated characters.

From my understanding, /ks is applied to AGTH.

If you are using AGTH as your text hooker, then you add /ks like this:

C:\AGTH\agth.exe /HA8@41B010 /ks

You use /ks2 when your text has something like 'AAABBB'. Therefore, you need to rid of 2 'As' and 2 'Bs'. So the target name would look like this:

C:\AGTH\agth.exe /HA8@41B010 /ks2

I hope this clarifies some things. If it does not, then by all means, please share your thoughts.

Thank you~ auto suppress did not work on my ITH because it hangs my system. IDK what happened. :)
I'll just manually add /ks2 on the hook bar instead..it still works but the it's tiresome since you have to do it everytime the game starts. ITH wont save the /ks2 parameter.

If it hangs your system, perhaps disabling some programs might help in order to increase its memory.

Like tune up utilities or a game booster.

If you do not want to do that, then it's fine.

I also wouldn't mind, if you could tell me what game you're playing and hook you're using. Maybe I'll try it out myself.

If it hangs your system, perhaps disabling some programs might help in order to increase its memory.

Like tune up utilities or a game booster.

If you do not want to do that, then it's fine.

I also wouldn't mind, if you could tell me what game you're playing and hook you're using. Maybe I'll try it out myself.
The game Im playing was Garnet Cradle..it didnt need H-codes though :D I also inputted 2 on the Remove [ ] textbox.
Im using the latest version of gamebooster~

Oh and off-topic..
can you make a tutorial on how to costumize windows too? I noticed the wonderful Hyouka theme ^_^

Last edited:

Garnet Cradle... I think I downloaded the PSP version though, not the PC version.

I'll try the PC version when I find the time.

The themes are mostly downloaded from here: http://modvisc.blogspot.com/search/label/Windows 7 Anime Theme

Follow their instructions to install them.

Some links might be expired. You can search for them if you go to the official blogs or websites below.

They include Windows 7 and Windows XP.

You won't find the Hyouka theme I used or some other good ones unless you visit the official site where they make or host the original themes.

These two sites are the most common to find the themes:

http://blog.sina.com.cn/weidao455472136

http://blog.sina.com.cn/natsukyo23128

Wow, I had no idea you could get the menu bars in English. That's pretty neat ^^

It is pretty neat.

Just thought it would be nifty for some who have difficulty in navigating.

Glad you found it useful~ ^^

Thx for the guide! I'm using ITH & TA a few months now, but I never understood how I can get the UserHooks to work or how to use them ... but thanx to you I can get it to work :)

Reactions: renano
I have a question, where do you find your hook? In step 4, you say to insert the hook in the white box, but I don't know where to get that.

I have a question, where do you find your hook? In step 4, you say to insert the hook in the white box, but I don't know where to get that.
The easiest way is to search on the web. Here is a database with some hooks (search the game - "AGTH Code" is the hook).
Some games don't need/have a hook :)

And what about TAHelper and TAHplugin? (with replacements scripts and other complicated stuff ;_; )? Is it "Must have"?

And what about TAHelper and TAHplugin? (with replacements scripts and other complicated stuff ;_; )? Is it "Must have"?
It's no "Must have" :) The programm works fine without these just fine. The only "more complicated" stuff is the installation of JParser and Mecab. Then start the game, choose the process in ITH, select the hook and TA should translate it ... that's only a fast guide :D If you followed everything in renano's guide, there should be no problem :)

[MENTION=25818]Tetrahedron[/MENTION]

I apologize for the late reply.

Like pumasrevenge mentioned TAHelper and TAHplugin are not 'must haves'.

There are tutorials out there, but mine is just a basic tutorial about to get things started and head onto reading your visual novel.

[MENTION=30136]meicdon13[/MENTION]

I apologize to you as well for not replying sooner.

As pumasrevenge mentioned, ITH is good for newer visual novels and even older titles. Therefore, hooks aren't required.

That site he directed you to, is really useful if you want hooks. :3

[MENTION=13204]pumasrevenge[/MENTION]

I'm glad you found my tutorial helpful.

I'm open to suggestions if you anyone wants something explained related to ITH and TA.

I'll try to answer to all questions as best as possible.

I have a problem with the game Prima Stella and it's hook.

/HSNC*0:368@41E920 /FText@1:411149;Speaker@1:4119F8;Choices@1:4134AB ... should be the hook, found it here

But everytime I copy the link in the white box and press Enter, ITH gives me the message "Module not present." - "UserHook0" - "Unable to insert hook."

Do you know how I can get it to work?

I can use "/HSNC*0:368@41E920" alone too (it works), but what is with the remaining hook?

Last edited:
urm,im having some problem with reading vn's.....sometimes when the text is too long,it gets translated too fast and i cant even read the previous translation....is there anyway to get around this @@?

urm,im having some problem with reading vn's.....sometimes when the text is too long,it gets translated too fast and i cant even read the previous translation....is there anyway to get around this @@?
Is the text speed for the game you're playing set to max?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

mozzamezo wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please re upload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01177568.html/?locale=en_US

Thanks in Advance
coolguy12346789 wrote on Shine's profile.
Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, can you update this? New version fix the character skin chage bug. This bug will cause you can't interactive with anything.
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ315563 RJ327273 RJ367842 links were dead, please could you reupload these?
TasogareHentai wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry for disturb, but can you please reupload this game? Thanks in advance.