Common (font?) error

kassandra

Feb 11, 2022
Hello!!!

I seem to have this common issue where I'll install a game, and the entire folder with be titled with "������" type characters, which sometimes is fine. But when internal files such as images, etc, are titled as such, the game naturally becomes unplayable. The directories become problems too, because other programs such as launchbox can't go to "�" files. For reference, playing with a japanese locale only seems to help if the game is boxed or packed, and even then it's no doubt a hit or miss.

I presume this is some error where I'm missing the characters from my computers internal fonts, or something like that, but I can't seem to find any sort of information on what fonts may commonly be used, or even if it's something else.

I haven't the slightest what I'm missing, and a great deal of games are just simply not playable as a result.

If anyone knows what fonts are commonly used in eroges, if I'm missing some language files, or ANYTHING that could help me fix this. That would be extremely helpful (even if I need to reinstall the games)

This symbols "������" shouldnt happen if you have your pc setup correctly for playing these kinds of games.
I think you just gotta change System Locale for non unicode programs to Japanese (under Region settings)
and also install the Japanese language pack for Windows
(it just needs to be installed on the system not selected-you can use your main language; Settings-Time & Language-Add language).

Sometimes even if you have the above it can happen in rare cases that ingame the text wont display correctly.
For that you use Locale Emulator (install it, then right click game exe, and run it with locale emulator; pc restart might be needed after first install).

Oddly enough that doesn't seem to fix it. weird.

When I'm extracting the games in the first place the text is wonky, so I can't emulate the unzipping or anything :/

So i found the solution to this now, you gotta also go under Region settings and change the Format also to Japanese, then restart PC and everything should display correctly.

First install japanese language pack under Settings - Languages, then you go here and set it to japanese:

And after that u set this one also to japanese:

Restart computer and it should work.

edit:
If its still not working after the above do the following since windows can be buggy:
Change Format under Region and also change the language back for non unicode programs to your language. Restart pc.
Then change it both to Japanese again and restart again. Fixed it for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 676387

upd
vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 1106310
lgbtgenshinasianhate wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/✨shine✨-240328-rad-revel-【10日間限定ドスケベ4大特典付き】【全編お下品オホ声】x【全編お下品ねっとりベロチュー】低音〜ドスケベワイフ〜相愛子作りお下品チン媚びドスケベねっとり孕ませ交尾-rj01166786.1461947/
Hi,Please re-upload the file as this file is throwing an error "not compatible OS", and it does not start after trying compatibility mode as well.
somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.