Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignis

Administrator
Admin
Oct 16, 2010

SOTM31.png

sotmsectionheader1.png

SOTM (alternatives include SotM and sotm), short for signature of the month, is a graphics competition held monthly at Anime-Sharing Forum. The term "SOTM" is also used widely at other online forums having similar competitions.[citation needed] In a typical SOTM competition, the forum staff member responsible for maintaining it decides a theme and other criteria for the month. All interested members have to do to participate is submit their signature entries in accordance with the criteria.

―Ignispedia, the nonexistent encylopaedia​
Following the massive success of my SOTM management debut, which received praises and laudations from an astounding grand total of zero news stories, heeeere comes the thirty-first instalment in the huge anthology that is SOTM!

Signature of the Month is a simple competition open for all members. While it is focused on graphics design, it's often not the only criterion that's taken into account: there's also the issue of how well your entry represents the theme, how well all the elements you use in your piece blend together, whether it's pleasant to look at, and other such factors (as well as personal biases of the voters). Therefore, you're invited to join in and help liven up the party even if you're not very much into graphics design. This is just for fun!

Winning isn't everything, buuuuut it gives you a trophy to decorate your collections with. Or not. It's not physical, after all. But you can still brag to your friends―wait, do you have any?―and getting one gives a warm and fuzzy feel inside. Whoo, would you look at that. Pure gold! Or maybe bronze? Copper? Brass?

sotm30_32.png

Nah, not any one of those materials. Just #FFE14D.

sotmsectionheader2.png

I suppose it's more appropriate to call these "criteria", but referring to them as "rules" may help ensure that people pay attention to them. At least, I hope so. Anyway, the rules for SOTM are pretty simple:

1. Your entry must be 500x300 or smaller. This means that you can submit an entry that's 500x300, 400x200, 300x100, or any size within the limit. I changed the old SOTM rule mandating that entries be of exactly 500x300 in size. If you can achieve the kind of goal you have in mind with a smaller size, why not?
  2. Your entry must contain the words "SOTM" and either "Anime-Sharing", "AS", or "ASF". It is not necessary to append the ".com" to "Anime-Sharing". Capitalisation does NOT matter. You CAN have your username in your signature. This is another rule that I changed, because if your creativity lies with typography, why not show it by signing your authorship on your work?
  3. Your entry must be in either JPG/JPEG, PNG, or GIF. Yeah, I know BMP is big and sexy, and TIFF has this charm yung'uns just won't understand, but no.
  4. No nudity, profanity, or other such material that may be considered offensive. This isn't as vague as it may sound. Just don't flash uncovered private parts (some skin is fine, but don't go overboard either), stay away from slurs or profanity, and you'll be fine.
  5. Your entry must be your own design. Well, duh! No, you don't have to create all elements in your entry from scratch, as art isn't so much about creating something from scratch (that's inventing) as it is making use of assets available to you. Just don't ask someone else to make a signature for you and enter it in the competition.

sotmsectionheader3.png

The theme for this month's SOTM shall be...

rocket.jpg

UNLEASH YOUR TRUE SELF.

An artist's art piece is her creation. To an artist, her ideal masterpiece is akin to her child: the only difference is that, instead of flesh and blood inheriting her physical characteristics, it is an opus borne out of her heart and mind, carrying with it all the incorporeal runes and inscriptions written in her being. The expressed, the implied; the intended, the unintended. An artist's ideal masterpiece is unburdened by mundane concerns such as money, popularity, politeness, or indeed any guidelines at all. It is a manifestation of the plane of existence that is her mind and heart, with her and only her being the deciding factor in the equation.

Yes, I like to write emotionally philosophical (philosophically emotional?) stuff that looks like it would fit well with a handwriting-like font overlaying an image of a scenery in a sepia tone right after putting a silly meme image. I also fully realise the previous sentence is unnecessarily verbose. I'm weird like that.

Anyway, to clarify:

We're having an OPEN THEME.
As long as your entry is in accordance with the simple rules, anything goes.

There's nothing much to ramble about here: you're free to make any kind of signature you'd like as long as it conforms with the guidelines. Whether you prefer signatures with transparent backgrounds, good old square-shaped signatures, animated gifs... it's up to you. If you feel like you need some suggestions, hit up the discussion thread and let the other participants know what you already have in mind!

The deadline is on 1 JUNE 2015.
You MAY edit your entry submission post as many times as you please before the deadline.

Please submit your entry before the deadline. If you're unsure about aspects of your draft entry, feel free to ask around in the discussion thread. You can have only ONE post in the entry submission thread, but you're not restricted from discussing the SOTM as much as you want in the discussion thread. The deadline may be extended on our discretion if circumstances necessitate it, but it won't be shortened for no reason, so rest assured and don't rush. Take your time to make a masterpiece!

This thread is only for ENTRIES!
For discussions, questions and comments, please go to this thread instead.

Here is finally, has a bit lasted... But it counts that it done is...xD

2.0 ver. - Title: Hibiki's fight with her inner demon.

#002 - Entry of nanashi1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOTM31.png

Last edited by a moderator:
BETA version, might change it around a bit :3

#003 - Entry of unownHGSS

24v4htl.png

let's try this......

#005 - Entry of nawi

30dj692.jpg

OK here goes also mine!​

#008 - Entry of Konstantinos

WEMq5LU.png

Let's try this entry, my very first SOTM.​

#012 - Entry of Evdokia

MbNjB07.png

WINNAR.png

sotmsectionheader5.png

Congratulations to Dark Angel!
For winning SOTM #31 with an open theme.

sotm31-04-darkangel.png

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Myself."

A free theme SOTM is a good way for participants to brandish their favourite styles and preferences, some of which have become the calling cards of their respective designers. You could see unownHGSS with his tendency to give an alluring/enchanting impression―or, in less vague words, portraying girls with lowered eyelids; kinseker with strong, solid colours and an overall 3D-esque feel; xyzapy, who―probably working in evil, evil pharmaceuticals―clearly has a hobby of inducing diabetes to unsuspecting observers; Pekie with his traffic light three-coloured boxes, and more.

This reddish hottie of an entry, however, is what greeted me upon awakening from my beauty slumber. Absent as I was when the poll was conducted, I managed to see this winning entry as well as other attempts by Dark Angel that preceded it―which, I recall, were an Ao no Exorcist-themed signature and another one with Love Live's Nishikino Maki―before people started thinking I had changed my name to "Mia" or lived in an area named as such. ("Ignis is MIA." "Where's Ignis?" "MIA.")

"This world is merciless, and it's also very beautiful." Indeed; pretty things have thorns, but he who dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose.

Again, congratulations to Dark Angel!

Reactions: Dark Angel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha