Question about kanji readings

jeffreymgibson

Elite Member
May 2, 2012
I was looking up the on readings for 人. The on readings I found were : ジン、 ニン

I understand the 1st one, jin. The 2nd reading is what I don't understand. I know ニ is ni, but I can't figure out what to do with ン. According to Wikipedia it means ( n [n] [m] [ŋ] before stop consonants ), but I don't understand what that means. Can anyone explain?

Also, what does the wavy squiggly line mean when it comes after a character in a reading?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

The ン is just that, an n sound. That ニ is katakana "ni" and not kanji "ni" (which looks like this: 二, somewhat larger than the katakana), so read "nin" like how you would read "jin", only chaning the front "ji" to "ni".

As for the "wavy squiggly" line that comes after a character...I assume you mean by "~", it means that the sound after that line is not a part of the kanji itself.

I'm sure more advanced folks around who are better at explaining things would do a better job than me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 676387

upd
vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 1106310
lgbtgenshinasianhate wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/✨shine✨-240328-rad-revel-【10日間限定ドスケベ4大特典付き】【全編お下品オホ声】x【全編お下品ねっとりベロチュー】低音〜ドスケベワイフ〜相愛子作りお下品チン媚びドスケベねっとり孕ませ交尾-rj01166786.1461947/
Hi,Please re-upload the file as this file is throwing an error "not compatible OS", and it does not start after trying compatibility mode as well.
somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.