please help me decide which kanji dictionary i should buy

basaraneko

Dec 27, 2011
pls tell me which dictionary is better for learning japanese and playing japanese games
The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary or Kodansha's Compact Kanji Guide: A New Character Dictionary for Students and Professionals (A Kodansha Dictionary):D

do you mean for buying dictionary or you simply asking for translation dictionary site?

please be more specified!

If you're looking for a grammar guide dictionary you may want to try 外国人のための基本語用例辞典 (Gaikokujin no Tame no Kihongo Yourei Jiten; lit. Dictionary of Examples of Basic Vocabulary Usage for Foreigners) although despite its title its explanations are written in Japanese (I don't think it has an English version) and might not be suitable if you have just started learning. It's probably also as thick as the Bible with small fonts, but is very comprehensive.

I'm not sure about a word dictionary though; I don't use a physical one myself. I use software like zKanji and JED on my phone, and sites like jisho.org for online help. The WWWJDIC is a nice database.

I use an interactive dictionary called Ignis. It is very thorough and provides quick answers, though it is not available at all hours.

so you wanted to buy... if you want to pick which from those 2 link Then Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary is a decent one for starter!

and [MENTION=2736]WsE[/MENTION] yes ignis is convinient :XD:

Oh yea, Ignis is very good for translating. It is only available for half a day only though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha