Skyrim Candle Holder

nihonbashi

Medieval Baka
Elite Member
May 11, 2016
I have spent alot of hours playing my favourite game: TESV: Skyrim. It´s a beautiful game (even more if you install the proper mods) so I thought to myself... why not make some nice replicas.
So here is my replica of a candle holder, I forged it out of iron and added a genuine bull horn I bought on a flea market. In comparison to the right is a screenshot from the game ^^.
Thanks for looking.

skyrim candleholder.jpg

It's not often I meet someone outside modding communities who still plays that game. I thought I was the only one here.

Looks nice! (Also potentially useful in certain situations.) You know, I've seen a bunch of people who forge (or commission others to forge) items out of video games—those are usually weapons, or armour and outfits in the case of cosplayers. But very rarely does anyone make pretty little trinkets like yours except for perhaps official souvenirs. Good job :)

It's not often I meet someone outside modding communities who still plays that game. I thought I was the only one here.

Looks nice! (Also potentially useful in certain situations.) You know, I've seen a bunch of people who forge (or commission others to forge) items out of video games—those are usually weapons, or armour and outfits in the case of cosplayers. But very rarely does anyone make pretty little trinkets like yours except for perhaps official souvenirs. Good job :)

Thanks! Yes, I have seen some awesome war axe replicas on some smithing forums I´m on.
I´m still playing the game because I´m a fan of all things Nordic or anything related to the Viking era.
In the evening when I have some free time for myself I just put it on the table and play by the candle light.
It really creates a great mood so I can immerse myself into the game. :)

That is very nice! Have you done other items?

Thanks, I´m glad you like it! I´m currently working on a small pocket knife inspired by the game.
It will be a small multi-layer pattern welded knife with words engraved in the dragon language on one side of the blade and the handle will be made of dragon bones (antlers) :) I´m trying to keep it small so I can carry it as my keychain.
I will post some images in a new thread as soon as I finish that project.
Plus I also would like to make replicas of the amulets of Talos, Zenithar and Julianos in the future.

That's a nice environment there you're creating for yourself to enjoy the game more. As someone who knows virtually nothing about forging, when I see official merchandise having very high prices, I sometimes wonder if such items really cost that much to make, whether it's the labour, the materials, or both. Was crafting this candleholder a particularly tough task?

Thanks, I´m glad you like it! I´m currently working on a small pocket knife inspired by the game.
It will be a small multi-layer pattern welded knife with words engraved in the dragon language on one side of the blade and the handle will be made of dragon bones (antlers) :) I´m trying to keep it small so I can carry it as my keychain.
I will post some images in a new thread as soon as I finish that project.
Plus I also would like to make replicas of the amulets of Talos, Zenithar and Julianos in the future.
Those sound great, actually. While the game doesn't have the best graphics and thus the carvings present on in-game objects are sometimes pretty low quality, I'm sure they'd be quite a challenge to replicate IRL nonetheless. Looking forward to your next craft as well :)

That's a nice environment there you're creating for yourself to enjoy the game more. As someone who knows virtually nothing about forging, when I see official merchandise having very high prices, I sometimes wonder if such items really cost that much to make, whether it's the labour, the materials, or both. Was crafting this candleholder a particularly tough task?

Those sound great, actually. While the game doesn't have the best graphics and thus the carvings present on in-game objects are sometimes pretty low quality, I'm sure they'd be quite a challenge to replicate IRL nonetheless. Looking forward to your next craft as well :)

No, it wasn´t a tough task to make this, it was rather easy. The most difficult part do was to form the loop of the piece of iron into shape so it would fit the horn. Bending and shaping the legs was not that difficult. One could manage to do that even without bringing the iron to forging temperatures, just work the piece cold but that would make things less fun :) The iron stock I used was just something I found in my scrap box and the horn was purchased on a flea market for 5 Euros which is cheap, the ammount of charcoal used was also small so the whole thing cost me less than 10€ (12$). I was finished with the project under one hour which was a pleasant experience.

Right, official merch is quite expensive, my Skyrim beer glass with the Dead Man´s Drink logo was tripple that price but I had to buy that because I don´t know how to paint glass lol. BTW I "modded" an old mousepad so I could use it as a place to put my glass so I wouldn´t mess up my desk with beer while gaming. Just sew the fabric back on the sides that was coming loose, slapped on a logo I cut out, sprayed the whole thing with bleach and left it out on the sun. And now I´m a proud owner of this unique item lol.
IMG_0770.jpg

To replicate the the amulets will be a challenge, I´m pretty sure of that. While I do have some experience in metal work, I have never attempted to make such detailed objects. I´m sure that making those will be a fun experience as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Reactions: fguelffstan
[MENTION=126597]nihonbashi[/MENTION]; Apologies for the late response.

I see. Not that I have the confidence to successfully accomplish even the 'easy' task, but I can imagine how shaping the iron to fit the horn would be the most difficult part. Wouldn't it be a bit messy without heating the iron though, since it'd be harder to shape and all?

Oh, a Stormcloak rebel I see :P Yeah, I think the prices for official goods are especially bad for items like mugs since all they have to do is slap a logo or print something on the mug. Things like weapons and trinkets like what you made, at least, need to be specifically made. That's a nice mousepad - a lot of small businesses here doing T-shirt prints with a similar method, and you did it well :)

Yes, I imagine some amulets are going to be more difficult than others. Talos', for example, looks relatively simple in shape, but it has carvings. Something like Mara's looks quite like a normal necklace, while Akatosh's looks significantly more complicated. Looking forward to what you'll come up with :)

Reactions: fguelffstan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
momoka1919 wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry, The title of "this" is different, but the correct title is"ド変態ドM&腹黒メイド服『ハイポリボディ版』+EXキャラビジュアル強化パック" This data does not contain "ハイポリボディ版". Please upload that data.
Hoppou wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
this person got some good stuff, plz upload them...https://vrsexfriend.fanbox.cc/