[G] How to self study japanese!

Ahia

Trusted Member
Dec 10, 2012
Hello and welcome to this guide. I will like to point out I have no knowledge how to use the forum tools to make a proper guide. So if you want to you can help me format this and etc otherwise you guys would have to stick with the knowledge I know. Now that is out of the way time for explaining!

So I take it you guys want to learn Japanese but either too lazy or too afraid to commit time to it. Well too bad a good portion of your time will have to be re allocate here sadly but hey in return you can understand eroge without relying on translator. Or even score a job after this, I am sure in the future there will be people needed to help translate stuff and you might get paid!

1. Tools for learning

A flashcard type of system
  • Anki or www.memrise.com
  • Notepad (important)
  • Also checking the tip section for some help on memorization might be good

I recommend using Memrise due to my experience with it and I'll make a section on how to use it in this guide.

Dictionary of some sort to make sure you can figure out the meaning of the kanji or a sentence

2. Learning the core fundamental Skip if you know your Hiragana and katakana

You now decided to devote some time eh? This is a great time to show off the wonderful thing we call flashcards because it's amazing. Do beware you wont be able to handwrite Japanese this way, but you know how to type it and understand it this way.

So where to now? Well I have a few courses that I recommend. Provided you register on Memrise here are some courses I recommend you to take This course will pretty much set you up to hiragana Don't forget to set your keyboard to JP.
This course is for katakana

This should take you 2 weeks to master if you do this within your breaks or spare time. Or 2 days if you spent full time on these its pretty simple.

It is recommended that you stop reading here and come back until you are familiar with the basics.

3. Bread and Butter

Alright you already mastered how to at least pronounce words properly and read hiragana and katakana. But if you have not please stop reading this section and continue refining the basics. You need to be really comfortable with them before continuing.

Now you are ready to start learning kanji. There are multiple paths you can take on this. You can use the memrise function or anki to make your own vocab dump and use it to remind you the words. OR you can start by using a pre-existing course and build your vocabulary there and then do the former. Up to you however you wanna do this both path converges to one goal ultimately anyways.

Here are some pre existing course on memrise to use: learning this entire course should allow you to understand a manga or VN 50-60% This is also assuming you know all grammar words and sentence structure otherwise its really like 20%~

Since this forum has allow you to access SO MANY TEXT BASED GAMES, you literally have a treasure trove to swim on and collect to learn JP. There are no excuses to slack off now especially if you are motivated.

Stop here and learn the pre-existing course first, you may continue if you are part way on the kanji course
--------------------------------------------
So I've been just talking about tools and resources but I haven't talk about how to use them yet.

If you have not started a pre-exiting course yet I advise you do it. The following step is pretty much a method of way to grab vocab but its much safer to do the pre existing course so you don't end up multiple vocab dump when you start on it its perfectly fine to do both the pre-existing course and reading the vn at the same time. If you end up with multiple vocab at once you can choose the option to ignore it in memrise. But if you did finish its time to pick a VN.

Assuming you finish the kanji course up there
  1. Choose a very easy vn preferably a very simple nukige to start (optional if you can get a hold of a light novel raw online with copy paste functionality is also doable)
  2. Setup ITH dont set up a translator tho you won't need it
  3. have a dictionary open, also a web browser open on google translate
  4. also open notepad (details on this on its own section)
  5. any words you don't know dump into your notepad by copying the word
  6. search the words meaning and finish your vocab dump list (dont forget to try to type the words and say it outloud to help out on memory)
  7. Once you have a good size collection make a course on anki or memrise so that you can practice those words

Lastly while you are doing all this for grammar this will probably help. But for further grammar its all about reading and improving your sense!

How to format you notepad to dump it to a database on memrise: Kanji,English,pronounciation,part of sentence

When creating a course or editing it you can now just copy and paste all the vocab and throw it in there to practice. Keep doing this and you will literally be fluent on JP at your own pace. Forget those who been saying learning a language takes years, just do doing what you like and enjoy the hell out of it. You will even laugh at how easy it is to actually learn a language so simple and effective. The same process applies to any other language too. Don't forget using your knowledge and converse is very crucial. If there isn't any other places use here to chat. If one knows more then the other help them out.

*I would like to emphasize that doing things smoothly and efficient is how you learn anything in life really really fast. Don't give in to temptation on just cutting corners of basic fundamentals to go that extra mile. It is never worth it in the end.*

Extra
Useful things to use
JLPT words useful for vocab dump it also can be use for a pre-existing course on anki [MENTION=67840]pichu655889[/MENTION] for mentioning this site

Tips and tricks

Things you can do to improve learning
  • When seeing a new vocab or even an old vocab try to imagine the word and its association to a action or thing first before typing/writing it, this will help you remember it alot faster and efficient too.
  • when learning anything always always do things smoothly. Going fast is one thing but make sure you can absorb the info first.
  • Effective repetition is key to success don't just repeat things fast, repeat at the pace where your brain is keeping up with your eyes.
  • When presented the option to read or reply in Japanese take the the chance. Any exposure to the language may help you increase your effectiveness in remembering words.
  • If you ever feel learning Japanese or any language is becoming a burden take it easy and relax, no one will ever learn a language overnight its all about how well you can absorb info at your own pace as fast as possible.
  • When beginning to learn japanese be very sure you know your kata and kana to heart to the point you can picture them clearly without seeing the words on text. This also applies to the first 400 set of kanji you may see.
  • Most kanji repeat themself at certain point in a word, remember the kanji you know in those words helps you understand what the represent.
  • About 500 unique kanji that you may encounter, learning after that should be a piece of cake!

----------------------------

If there is anything you need just reply this thread or pm!

Last edited:
Thanks for this really good guide! I take lessons but it is always useful to have supplementary material :)
[MENTION=60305]zad38[/MENTION]; This should be pretty useful too

Just thought I'd add that Google Translate can be quite useful for pronunciation, since intonation is important: 箸(はし; Chopsticks)・橋(はし; Bridge)is a common example of this. This website might also help, it has some materials that might prove to be useful, depending on learning style.

Thanks for this really good guide! I take lessons but it is always useful to have supplementary material :)
[MENTION=60305]zad38[/MENTION]; This should be pretty useful too

Just thought I'd add that Google Translate can be quite useful for pronunciation, since intonation is important: 箸(はし; Chopsticks)・橋(はし; Bridge)is a common example of this. This website might also help, it has some materials that might prove to be useful, depending on learning style.

Ah I should prob elaborate more on certain part of the guide lol. But thanks for reminding me, I'll also make an extra section and put the site onto the guide as a extra course for those who prefer to use aniki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Suziiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Could you please reup this on mexashare if you have it still? Thanks

https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/100924-ローズクラウン-bloods~淫落の血族2~.23054/
vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 676387

upd
vnimlove wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
reup please - 1106310
lgbtgenshinasianhate wrote on Shine's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/✨shine✨-240328-rad-revel-【10日間限定ドスケベ4大特典付き】【全編お下品オホ声】x【全編お下品ねっとりベロチュー】低音〜ドスケベワイフ〜相愛子作りお下品チン媚びドスケベねっとり孕ませ交尾-rj01166786.1461947/
Hi,Please re-upload the file as this file is throwing an error "not compatible OS", and it does not start after trying compatibility mode as well.
somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.