What do you feel will happen if we lost our technology?

Perplexing

Elite Member
Elite Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lets face it in this day in age technology reigns supreme. I mean who would have thought 10 years ago that we could control virtually every piece of hardware via a smart phone?

Sure we had the sci fi shows that made these ideals that numerous people have acted upon thus creating such wonderful devices, however what would happen if suddenly everything we knew and had from today's technology became extinct?

A couple of months back I found a highly interesting program on some cable channel that explored this possibility. They gathered together about a dozen "experts" and they formulated a hypothesis of what would happen and to be quite honest it was frightening to consider the possibilities they presented.

So out of curiosity I would like to know what others think about this very possible reality.

Do you meant as in, all our modern technology no longer working, functional?
People will spend more time outdoor, and socialized in real time and face to face, instead of online.
As for economy, we might have another Great Depression, except it's gonna be worst.
Though some machinery will work, the type that didn't required electricity that is.

In other word, we might goes back to the way of the 19th century again, unless if our knowledge on technology also gone, then it's back a few centuries further.
Think of those people from the *Destiny when they evacuated to a planet without any of their modern technologies with them.
How they make civilization just based on the knowledge that they know an applied it to their survival.

One thing for sure, we'll not gonna back to Stone Age.

*Referring to the final episodes of Stargate Universe.

Reactions: Perplexing
Living in slowly decaying houses, using non-recyclable plastic bags as clothing and pillaging the nearby supermarket for food. Until that runs out and it's back to gathering and hunting. Luckily I live in an area with plenty of nature (sometimes too plenty), so I'll survive a bit longer than those city kids who have to fight over a rat with a million other city inhabitants. ;)

Reactions: Perplexing
i guess back to square one..

hard life begins. life would be difficult.. and work would be time consuming and laborious ~

leisure stuffs will be traditional and plain... though it would benefit the nature if technology is lost/disappeared... less hazards.

Since our lives are no longer bound by tech,
maybe we will have all the time in the world to admire
the magficence of our earth.
With no or less light pollution maybe we could look at
a more brilliant starry sky than we see today!

Or,
half of the population would go crazy and commit suicide!

[Just a thought. A scary thought.:th_093:]

^^,

One thing for sure, during the 1st 1-2 years(or more) there's gonna be anarchy all over the world.
It's all depends on how the government of the countries handle the situation and the mindset of the people.

Then there's gonna be wars between nations. The high demand for natural resources like oil especially will be the cause/excuse for the action taken.

The following things are what I believe would happen:
------- Right after the technology blackout --------

People are questioning why the technology has failed. They try to find a cause and see how they can fix it. After getting home hoping to turn on the news and find out what happened they discover their tv is not operational, as well as their lights, electric heaters, AC units, washers, dryers, and security systems. People begin panicking and go to a relative or friend for help. This process however may be difficult as cars will no longer work (the older models will but newer ones will not). Items that are mechanical and still function become highly sought after and looted. Electronics depreciate in value and become paperweights. Social class breaks down as money is no longer available from the bank or through plastic. Bartering becomes the new norm as people adjust to a world without electronics. Guns become highly prized and those who have them already will try their best to fend off those who band together to form gangs in an effort to survive. Some people leave the city in an effort to find food after the cities food supplies are exhausted. Farmers on the other hand become vigilant as they own the food and animals (hiring of guards for their farms is an option). After the initial crime spike those who could not protect themselves may become slaves or end up dead; however, some communities will hold on to their moral fibre and band together to fend of criminals. After the population has dispersed or centralized a new era begins, and those who know the old ways of survival prosper.

---------- 10 years after the blackout ----------

Humans go back to the days in which technology was not so advanced. Books are valuable and libraries become popular again. By now businesses have adjusted and are functioning (at a less optimal level but still working) Older industries come back and abandoned factories are upgraded and brought back into production. Currency is brought back and markets return. People are less lazy in these days and become more aware of the community around them. Cities are returned to and order restored. The people are adapted and have the skills necessary to survive and humans start trying to bring back what they used to have. The electronics and computers we now consider old are built again. After the initial jump we quickly return to the electronics age, but this time they are accessories instead of being relied upon. We are more cautious in how they are implemented in critical infrastructure. We learned of our dependence and we take measures to ensure such an event will not have catastrophic consequences.

Reactions: faceless
Interesting theory you got there, neko.
From what you've posted, I presumed that you theory was based on EMP discharge in the atmosphere of even solar flare(like the one that hit the East Coast few years ago), which coz all electric blackout throughout the world.

Somehow at the end, you have positive thought on the outcome of this catastrophe, like where humanity manage to regain their technology.

Yeah the EMP from a nuclear weapon (detonated above the Earth), or a solar flare is kind of what I had in mind since that's the only way I could see Perplexing's situation happening. Anyway, humans inherently avoid stagnation, and since I'm sure our electronics manuals and reference books would survive (kept by educators or home electronics hobbyists) getting back to the electronics age won't be such a daunting task. We have the knowledge and after the tools to build electronics are rebuilt (soldering irons, flux, solder, and components) we can begin again.

If we lost our technology, I think we'd be able to make better relations with people in our own islands. We'd treasure our contacts with people from other countries because we'd have to use some man-made boats or walk long distances. If we lost the technology that we highly-value because of convenience, we'd realize how foolish we were investing a large part of our time that, although entertaining, isolated us from our neighbors. If we lost it, people will dream some more and overcome this technology-less period. We'll start from scratch. :)

It would be very stressful, but that is the 1 thing humans have over any other specie, we can adapt faster. Remember it was not that long ago, we did not have anything like we have now.

Ever country develops faster than the one before because the one before does all the basic troubleshooting and they learn from those other's examples so if the world lost all technology the next would develop similar technology quite quickly. As for just the plain lack of technology i would say my generation being the technological wizards we are would suffer until we adapt. Anyhow the next versions of history textbooks would just have a new section with a fancy name and the world map would look different.

Assuming that it were to occur, pretty sure things will go out of control for a while. Like it may end up being a free for all where people will slay each other to get an easier living till they realize that you have to work together now to cultivate harvest and so forth. Then later you will be living back in the middle ages where there is a supremacy of class occurs and wars will break out in turfs and so forth.

Regardless of age, humans can never get along with each and will always be in some sort of conflict. Personally I will do what I must to ensure my own survival and if I can care about my family, I will also attempt to take care of them while this world without technology goes to ruins. That's more likely the case if you remove people of luxury. Some people actually rather commit suicide than live a hard life without technology.

A few months would pass, then we would have all updated technology better than before. It could fix some problems we currently have. It would be unpleasant for the first week or so though while we start remaking everything.

I think the world would go into chaos. Losing all technology also include medical tech which would be devastating because it saves so many lives from simple things that would be an automatic death sentence before. Honestly the kind of suffering that would be unleashed would be unbearable and it would make some people lose it from stress and get violent and hurt others. There would be a lot of suicides too I'm sure. I hope it never happens. I couldn't bear to see a world like that.

I honestly would appreciate some points of it. I think we as a society have become too embroiled in our technological pursuits and have forgotten things that used to be vitally important to us; such as family and social interaction.

We've also become dumber with technology, i think. Plus many mentally handicapped or otherwise genetically defective humans have been permitted to survive despite their weakness and that has ruined natural selection, slowly creating a weaker species.

but in that situation many of the weak would die off pretty fast. It also depends on the extent of technology we lost, if you are speaking of going back to basically caveman days with 0 technological advancement, it'd probably be a repeat of history.

Most people these days are weak, overweight, unused to extreme work or operating in outside conditions for extended periods. Could you sleep in the woods all night long without modern amenities such as beds, air conditioning etc? Many couldn't. Citizens from wealthier countries would suffer the most under these circumstances i believe. Especially those in urban areas, they would die off pretty fast.

Even former soldiers with the exception of special forces wouldn't survive very long, they are trained to survive for a minimal period of time with issued kits, meaning their long-term survival, although greater than the general populace would still be bleak.

You would be left with a degrading infrastructure, any semblance of civility would disappear overnight and raving bandits would attack people who have stores of food or shelter, when things start getting scarce after the first 24-48 hours.

The military would collapse pretty much overnight without the ability to deploy or supply troops, individual units would probably band together to create small communities or become roving bandits themselves. They'd probably be stuck in their localities of wherever they were stationed when the event that resulted in the removal of technology occurred, American soldiers overseas would at best meak out a living but most would probably be slaughtered by the locals without support from the American homeland, as with all other deployed soldiers around the world.

The police would collapse pretty much instantaneously as well, they'd probably abandon their posts immediately to attend to their families. When the populace realizes that things are collapsing, they'll probably rush in and loot local stores for food. The scarce food they gather from these places won't last more than a month, however.

After most of the cities erupt in chaos, it would only be a matter of time before they begin to migrate to rural areas to escape the general anarchy in the populated cities, especially the cities with millions of citizens.

people who live in rural areas, such as myself, would end up dealing with a large influx of potentially armed migrants and squatters. I live at the moment with former special forces members and soldiers, we are well-armed with AR-15s, AKM-47s etc and well-stocked, We've lived off the land for a long time, but in spite of that i believe even we would eventually be killed or die off from disease or thousands of invading migrants, it'd be a rediculous stroke of luck to survive the initial chaos.

Whatever the case, our life expectancy would be reduced for the average populace to around 20-something years of age or lower, if we're lucky. Of course most of that will only be for the first few years when the initial huge population starts to die off because of lack of food. Most farmers these days rely on technological advancements to maintain and grow huge harvests despite the relatively small number of farmers. modern day farmers have little to nothing in common with the farmers and ranchers of previous ages before technology. They wouldn't know how to run a farm with no technology. I expect a huge food shortage would result in massive die-offs. Only God knows how many people would survive the chaos and anarchy.

I've farmed before, i didn't use any technology. It was rough for me to support our family on that and during winter without some technology it would be difficult to maintain enough stock to survive on, especially with previously mentioned squatters and migrants trashing everything. Obviously without transport and roads collapsing all around you, you'll pretty much be stuck within so many miles of your home... forever probably. Also, if you're on an island nation, plan to stick there. It's too risk to try anything else.

Politically, i see small units of families gathering together. Small towns and other communities may band together and create small political units. similar to the chiefs and villages of ages past. Assuming all we know from our experience as members of modern society, such as education and knowledge of modern technology, i see it slowly evolving back into modern technology as people become more organized and effective. Small communities would grow into large ones, people would improvise.

Humanity would rebuild, we'd eventually get back to where we are today or somewhere similar. I have no idea how long that would take, though. But the nature of humanity doesn't alter when technology is removed, we are still a brilliant, adaptive and manipulative species. It would only be a matter of time. The only real question is to how much damage would be done by the collapse and how long would it take for humanity to recover?

I live in exceptional circumstances for off-the-grid living in my opinion, but obviously all plans fail when they reach contact with the enemy. It could actually happen and i find out that i'm less prepared or capable of accomplishing the task than i expected, but it would be irrelevant. Even in the best of circumstances i'd be lucky to live to 40-something without modern medical amenities.

The only upsides i can think of is you'll be alot closer with any friends or family you are with when it occurs, and you'll get to have lots of sex in order to secure your retirement. Since it'll be pretty hard to farm and therefore live when you are 50-60 something, assuming you survive that long. Better be careful though, without medical assistance mothers dying during birth are quite common. Babies are also less healthy and tend to miscarriage a whole lot more, and even if they survive birth they are quite susceptible to disease and death.

It would be a horrifying experience for all of humanity except those who already live off-grid such as natives in isolated areas or mountains, They would probably be aversely effected as well, but it's impossible to know to what extent.

Everyone can talk about the distant past with wonderment, curiosity and intrigue. But let's face it, the past sucks for the most part, even if modernity has it's downsides.

I'd be worried about my father since he needs to use an oxygen machine.

/Rather boring Joke/Skit coming in/

Brothers and Sisters, lets bear arms and knowledge to once again rebuild our technology from scratch and build a brighter future.

/Joke/Skit Ended/

If we really did lose our technology, it would also include the knowledge to use hammers and other primitive tools... this will not be nice and I'm pretty sure it will always depends on what level of technology did we drop to state what consequences and predicament the human race will be in.

/Rather boring Joke/Skit coming in/

Brothers and Sisters, lets bear arms and knowledge to once again rebuild our technology from scratch and build a brighter future.

/Joke/Skit Ended/

If we really did lose our technology, it would also include the knowledge to use hammers and other primitive tools... this will not be nice and I'm pretty sure it will always depends on what level of technology did we drop to state what consequences and predicament the human race will be in.

Going by this I think it is safe to say that the main topic of this thread is "what would happen if we all died" whereas we would be dead. The closest thing we could get to losing our tech would be some kind of solar storm with the potential to melt/set fire to most of earth's more conductive material. It would really suck for a while and cost billions, but would come back slowly in several years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Roadrunner Email Support is an astonishing email support service, you can ever get. We use the expertise of our strong support team to resolve any and all issues that may arise during the use of Roadrunner emails. Roadrunner customer service team will help our helpline number +1-844-902-0608 you to get the best out of this email service.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha
Irish99 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi if you get time can you reupload this please.