Any idea on what an anime club does?

Rogue

Jan 31, 2012
Honestly i was disapointed in how my school doesn't have an anime club, despite the number of people who actually like anime at that school. my brother and i are considering making one but have trouble coming up with an idea as to what we would like to do. getting the club up won't be that much of a problem seeing as there used to be one a couple of years back.

Also, just throwing it out there, does anyone know where i could get a sweater with an anime pic on it. I don't like the ones with generally mainstream anime on it and i have a hard time finding one in black.

At my high school before, the anime club used to have a TV where you can watch anime, computers so you can watch anime, and I think they had anime games. I never went because I honestly didn't like anime and I still avoid it today.

You can always make it yourself or check ebay, amazon, J-List, etc. for a sweater.

when i joined the anime club at my school, I just had to try and be the new leader because they werent doing anything at all
all THEY were doing was watching some Studio Ghisbli stuff and draw. Rarely talking about animes aside from the MAINSTREAM stuff~
It wasnt a daily club either; they only met on Tuesdays and Fridays.
So I was disappointed in it and how i was trying to over take it was by bringing some good ol' Shana and AngelBeats!
Introducing some nearby anime party/conventions and Vocaloids
It didnt work out well because the members werent really outgoing so i quitted...

Aside from my time in the "anime Club" on towards your shirt, i custom make mine cause theres a shop in town and i order off ebay
i ordered this one awhile ago and love it:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touhou-Project-8-Remilia-Scarlet-Red-Vampire-T-shirt-/250959534459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a6e5a997b#ht_3150wt_1185
though i get really anoyed when people ask "what anime is that?"
Hope I helped;D

It is great that you and your brother are considering to bring back the anime club for your school.

I mostly see anime clubs in college or universities, not high schools... but that's just me.

Remember to gain the necessary funds, room, and equipment if you do go through with this.

Doesn't necessarily need to be anime to be discussed in the club.

You can bring figurines, model kits, Japanese drama, music, history of Japan, artbooks, and other things that influence anime or society.

Expand things outside of anime, but still has connections to it. Perhaps, that will help for people to be more interactive and to join.

Discuss about anime/comic conventions like the ones nearest your school or plan some trips to see Japanese art in museums.

Once in awhile, bring up certain issues/topics like hikikomoris, fujoshis, subs vs dubs, etc. to allow more public opinion.

Have a sort of 'anime night' in which one person brings in an anime to watch and enjoy some snacks. Have a general discussion about it.

Talk about your favorite blogs, sites, magazines, etc. so they can know where you gather your information.

Maybe making your own doujinshi or mini flash animation can get more attention as well as gaining more social status.

On the other topic of the shirt, like the others mentioned... you can make it yourself, but there are sites to purchase from if you like. Try their methods. They will surely work out~

In my experience all they sort of do is watch anime or just hang out like friends. I'd avoid if you don't want to be around the losers of the losers. Any association would likely ruin your high-school reputation.

There are anime clubs in Uni. Same with games club too. Just not too sure who to ask about the club for. I guess you discuss anime characters, scenarios, music, manga, compare to the VN and manga, what could have been done better, the bad stuff, pretty much the usual.
If you imagine it like a book club, you might be required to watch an anime series then discuss the next time you meet or so.

Adding onto what bloodhorn said, shirts can also be gotten from Tokyotoys and 1999.co.jp. I'd use google to search the last site in English.

Last edited:
In my experience all they sort of do is watch anime or just hang out like friends. I'd avoid if you don't want to be around the losers of the losers. Any association would likely ruin your high-school reputation.

I know what you mean but isn't what you saying a bit harsh, i mean you like what you like why cant you socialize with people who like the same things? You usually join a club because you feel that is where you belong, to not be seen as loser by your peers is just silly. You shouldn't be afraid and just hang with you want to hang. Leading a false life in high school will just backfire at you later on.

Sorry if ranted on, i just feel its unfair.

As for the club idea, It's a place where you all can discuss, debate and dispute about series you guys have watched and recommend series to each other. If you have access to a PC, and a projector you can watch a couple too. It doesn't have to be just anime, people can discuss, read manga novels. You could also have a drawing of the week/month and use it as your club banner. Members would either draw by hand or on the computer. To sort out outings to anime cons or shops can also be done,

For your hoodies, t-shirts try ebay, J-list or attend a convention and you can find them cheap over there.

Last edited:
We had one in my High School at one point. It usually ran as a double for animation screenings of the latest Naruto Dub at the time where Naruto was popular. With that said, I wasn't interested of the club since I'm one of those typical guys who don't join a club but is already in many or busy at the time. It's mainly a place where people can openly talk, share and/or watch animations of different sorts.

I've been to many clubs so yeah, I kind of know the basic for this club since one of my friends went into that club to watch animation with other people on a 50+ inch screen in a room with other people.

EDIT:
The loser post about animation clubs. All and honestly, it comes to society perspective. No offence, the guy who happened to run the club was the most popular guy that was elected similar to Student President. He also currently or have finished a medical degree and back at the days, he also a guitarist in the music club, good at sports and his studies for his age. But there was a common perspective that animations are uncool at the time and the xenophobic that came along with it. Didn't stop him running it.

If losers are defined what they achieve in life. Enjoying animated entertain with other people who may or may not fall under that category did not affect the results of how and what he achieved. Hell, he even wore a Rock Lee costume while doing athletics for whole period of time while his mate did Naruto's costume. And yeah, they did a drama performance of Naruto with 12-20 members taking part of it. Be it actors to back-stage crew members. Which was performed on front a live audience as well.

Last edited:
The anime club in my high school consisted of watching Cloverfield and other movies.....

The college one had one semester and closed, but it was a good run with games and screenings.

There are no anime club in our school, I'm quite disappointed too. I really envy the posters above for their experience, I think our school preferred to be otaku-free >.<

gawd, reading their posts makes me jealous D;

My advice :

The anime club should be easier to make by making it to a service club.

By that I mean holding events for people.

Example:

- Plan a screening of Kara no Kyokai

- Club members brainstorm on how to make it happen

- The moving screening should be geared to the rest of the school, those not involved in the anime club.

- After getting all the necessary equipment eg Projector/the movie itself/chairs

- Hold it somewhere on school grounds

- Charge money for it but cheaply say $2

- some of the proceeds goes to the School Fund while the rest goes to a club fund to sponsor more events.

Other ideas includes: Holding an Anime Convention in school, manga drawing competition, Some fan dubbing comedy routine, Selling Anime merchandise etc

My school has an awesome anime club well its officially known as Japanese Culture Group. They hold live event, movie screenings and partner with anime merchandise companies to sell them in school. They would have an event at every odd week or so.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try to run it based on Cybersteel's description of the Japanese Culture Club. Those kind of events would be a great way to finish senior year. Surprisingly enough, there used to be a Japanese Culture Club at my school plus I am on good terms with teachers and some students who have access to that kind of stuff so it should be easier than I initially thought.

not have any idea how to cough so. but if any anime in school I'll never learn and that's normally not good at all

I have seen the good side and the bad side of such a club. The bad thing is that such a club will no doubt atract those with no life and no friends. The "weird" people that naturally show up to such meetings or gatherings. The good is that you will also bring those who are level headed on the topic and have some good exchanges between such conversations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha