Replacer for VNR (visual novel reader)

Jordick

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2015
Hi folks.

First, let me apologize if I posted this to wrong place. So feel free to move it elsewhere if that's the case.

I've been using the Visual Novel Reader (VNR for short) to translate and play j-rpg games for several years now, though I haven't used that software for quite a long time. When I finally started playing those J-RPGs and VNs again, I only found out that the VNR stopped working. I've tried everything, but couldn't get it to work again.
After doing some research I noticed what appears to be like the Sakuradite website has been shutdown and the VNR stopped working along with it. I've also read numerous reports that says the same that the VNR is dead.

So, is there any other program out there similar to VNR that can translate J-RPG and VN games in real time?

I've tried the following programs and method:
- RPG Maker Auto Translatornslator (the program didn't seem to work at all, the games turned out un-translated. I've read that this happens for most games due different script engines)
- ATLAS and Translation Aggregator (couldn't find working DL links for the ATLAS program and the guide post seems to be over 7 years old now)

So, here I am with bunch of games ready to be played, but without a program that can translate them for me like the VNR did.
Any suggestions or recommendations for programs or methods that could replace VNR?

Thanks.

ps. The VNR wasn't perfect. It was buggy, it crashed often and the translations were messy as hell (in other words, they lacked grammar). But it did its job, which was to help me understand what's going on in the game. Now that its gone, I kinda miss it for how easy it was to use. :(

Last edited:
Hmm, I gave it a try and managed to install it somewhat properly using this ITH installation guide I found by googling around. Though I couldn't update the damn thing due connection issues (I guess ITH isn't supported anymore or so I've read, hence the problem the updater v3 couldn't connect).

But when I gave the ITH a try, I noticed it also requires the Atlas software so I ultimately ended up with the same problem as I did with the Atlas & Translator Aggregator in the first place: Fujitsu stopped supporting Atlas back in 2015, so Atlas is nowhere to be found. I did try to find it from some ..other.. sources, but apparently I'm either lousy searcher or Atlas really has gone underground for good.

So I'm back to square one.

Are there any other translation programs out there that are capable of translating RPG Maker games in real time? (that's what VNR did and that is what I'm looking for)
I've tried to search one for coupld weeks now, but I haven't been so lucky with it.

Thanks.

But when I gave the ITH a try, I noticed it also requires the Atlas software so I ultimately ended up with the same problem as I did with the Atlas & Translator Aggregator in the first place: Fujitsu stopped supporting Atlas back in 2015, so Atlas is nowhere to be found. I did try to find it from some ..other.. sources, but apparently I'm either lousy searcher or Atlas really has gone underground for good.
Please read my previous post. Download links are included in the tutorial I linked.

Hmm, after few hours of searching and tinkering, I managed to get it working somehow. The translations aren't perfect (cause they lack grammar for most time), but I can at least somehow understand what's going on with in the game.

It will take some time to get used to using these programs. But it's better than nothing until I learn to read japanese on my own, though that will take few years to accomplish. :akazukin_down:

Thanks for sharing.

edit. After playing some games for a while, I learned how messy and un-accurate those Atlas translations are. So I was forced to ditch the Atlas entirely and use the Google translations instead for time being. I don't know why Atlas did, maybe outdated version, missing dictionary or messed up installation, but for time being it seems that Google manages to translate the game better. =/

Last edited:
read the raw games with jisho.com
you'd get the hang of it after a few titles
I've been reading Danganronpa 2 with it and it works for me
've been wanting a good text hooker program tho

read the raw games with jisho.com
you'd get the hang of it after a few titles
I've been reading Danganronpa 2 with it and it works for me
've been wanting a good text hooker program tho

I normally use ITH + Translation Aggregator, but the latter is more like a mixer of other programs such as ATLAS and Mecab.
Jisho.org is very interesting stuff.
How do you work with "Jisho.org" when hooking it with ITH/ATGH?... I usually play offline but I'm kinda interested how this work.
I don't see any clipboard/autopaste option with the site so I don't think it's very useful without it.

HAT (Hook Any Text) + Translation Aggregator. HAT requires Cheat Engine (read installation instructions). Using it may seem a bit complicated at first, but there are very detailed instructions, they will help you to get the hang of it. After using it a bit I liked it even better than Visual Novel Reader. Also, you can use it with any emulator, for example, I can read PS2 games emulated in PCSX2 with its help now. As for Translation Aggregator, I only use 2 windows: JParser and Google, it's enough to understand most of the text. JParser is especially helpful since it shows grammar for every highlighted word.

I normally use ITH + Translation Aggregator, but the latter is more like a mixer of other programs such as ATLAS and Mecab.
Jisho.org is very interesting stuff.
How do you work with "Jisho.org" when hooking it with ITH/ATGH?... I usually play offline but I'm kinda interested how this work.
I don't see any clipboard/autopaste option with the site so I don't think it's very useful without it.

i dont know how to use a text hooker and i am using jisho the old fashioned way

fortunately my knowledge of kanji and kana are good enough to carry me through dgrp 2 without any particular inconvenience

basically i use the microsoft ime to type japanese and also the wiriting pad for difficult kanji

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks