Votes: 33 91.7%
  • Western RPG's

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

T-ELOS

久慈川 りせ
Elite Member
Jan 16, 2013
I am curious to what everyone likes better, J-RPG's such as Final Fantasy, Tales series, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Persona. Or Western RPG's such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout. As much as I love J-RPG's, I personally prefer Western RPG's

2vboia1.jpg
s157j5.jpg

Last edited:
Re: J-RPG's or Wester RPG's

I love them both but I do prefer the less grindyness of western rpgs.

Re: J-RPG's or Wester RPG's

J-rpg too here....

Why not both ?
Soul series, Dragon Age, The Witcher series, Atelier series, Hyperdimension series,... are all my favorite RPGs :)

except Elder scroll and Tales series, i can't get myself into them. :yawn:

Both has their own quirks that I enjoyed.

In the Western one that I picked up and enjoyed was Fable 1 and its expansion. Frankly I'm pretty lazy at the start so I just went and merchant apples en-masses. In the end of one to two hours in game, I was able to unlock all the yellow skills and basically breeze through the game due to my amount of gold I had to buy everything I wanted. It was stupid and funny at the same time. And... I actually bought that game so that was interesting.

In the J-RPG, the first one I started on was Breath of Fire Series. was going to say Final Fantasy but it wasn't the first game I played in a J-RPG. Breath of Fire was a classic to me and I still liked it for the Dragon abilities. With that said, I also liked Final Fantasy series, Persona Series and other series as well.

Now if you're wondering what do I like right now that I'm playing? It would have to be Tales of Abyss and Last Remnant. Now before you start, these are the games I'm currently playing occasionally when I have down time on online games. Also I haven't decided from the PS3 generation or PS4 generation what I intend to play. Oh, Rune Factory series is another one I currently enjoy and play to top it off. There is a few others but I haven't played them or have played them and completed it. Like Mass Effect 1 and so forth.

Why not both ?
Soul series, Dragon Age, The Witcher series, Atelier series, Hyperdimension series,... are all my favorite RPGs :)

except Elder scroll and Tales series, i can't get myself into them. :yawn:

I thought Tales of Xillia was pretty good, and Tales of Symphonia also. I didn't like Dragon Age 2 as much as I liked the first Dragon Age.

I thought Tales of Xillia was pretty good, and Tales of Symphonia also. I didn't like Dragon Age 2 as much as I liked the first Dragon Age.

i tried Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Graces before but i got bored very quickly, since then i never touched any Tales games again. And yes, DA 2 is really a disaster but DA1 is one of my most favorite RPG of this gen :)

I prefer JRpg's but also enjoy Western Rpg's for their simplicity/lowered level of grinding.

Both ! since i was a child i always loved all the jrpg on my snes :chrono trigger,final fantasy,dragon quest,tales of fantasia and many many more.enjoyed these on many systems up to the present day.But i also loved wrpg from the very beginning of my player "career" : Wizardry,Ishar trilogy,Eye of the beholder,Baldurs gate,neverwinter nights,planescape torment! (all those Ad&d stuff...) i LOVE the Tes games and Skyrim...man what a masterpiece,played the shit out of it (so about 300 hours) Mass Effect,Dragon Age and one of my All time fav`s : The Witcher 1+2 ! Amazing games....so the conclusion is that i like both ! :)

I like J-RPG more in their story line but W-RPG have more interesting mechanic.

But when I choose, I think J-RPG is better for me. ^_^

Western RPGs, I never understood JRPGs mechanics; what do you mean I have to take turns attacking?! Most western RPGs are less linear than JRPGs [I'm talking about the open world ones, mostly]

JRPGs for me as Phantasy Star Online ep1 n 2 and Dark Souls have stolen my heart. I don't really think i have a West RPG I liked real time combat ones doesn't feel as engaging

I am a story person I rather play a game with lower graphics for a better storyline for this JRPGs seem to have much better stories.
I do enjoy some western RPG's but most of what I play are JRPGs

JRPGs would be much better if you could play your own character like in Dragon Age Inquisition. Actual role playing is not very common in Japan, though few games incorporate it as well as Biowares.

J-RPG has pretty much the best storylines I ever saw so i'll choose that but gotta say sometimes J-RPG's mechanics are pretty bad

Jrpg definitely, I prefer linear stories with set characters over more open ended approach of wrpgs

well, depends what time j rpg you mean

if you mean the old time, the time of skies of arcadia, chrono trigger, seiken densetsu and ff 6-10, lost odyssey and and and, yes jrpgs are a thousand time better than western rpg

in 2015 you must consider that jrpg is nearly dead (i really wish it were otherwise, but it isnt), except dragon quest, star ocean tales, or surprise hits like bravely default there arent many great games anymore (we wait perhaps still years till dragon quest comes to west anyway):
ff died a horrible death with ff13, was resurrected with ff 13-2, 13-3, only to butchered even more cruelly with these shit games square enix called "final fantasy"

if i today play witcher 3 in 4k 60fps on the pc, i must say western rpgs nowadays are better than jrpg

but i must also mention that i prefer to play ff9 in 360p on the playstation 1 to all the best western rpgs, the old jrpgs will never be forgotten, these were the best games ever made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nanashinanashi wrote on Esan's profile.
can you please reupload https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/111125-overdrive-d2b-vs-deardrops-cross-the-future.1174725/ to katefile or mexashare or rosefile.Thanks
Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.
Groups23 wrote on zhonyk's profile.
Could you upload fantia.jp/posts/2683868 ?
mozzamezo wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please re upload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01177568.html/?locale=en_US

Thanks in Advance
coolguy12346789 wrote on Shine's profile.