Thread: Visual Novel Cafe

Thanks
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points

Re: Visual Novel Cafe

Holiday sale crushed my money.
    Some game are too cheap, for example softhouse-seal 100 in. 1 is about 5 dollars!
    Now I’m crawling to buy Harem night package released in April 30...
    ----
    DLsite coupon will expire at 5/6. So if I cant find this until this day, I buy it!
    Last edited by Tu0714; May 2nd, 2021 at 12:29 PM.
    Veshurik likes this.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tu0714 View Post
    Holiday sale crushed my money.
    Some game are too cheap, for example softhouse-seal 100 in. 1 is about 5 dollars!
    Now I’m crawling to buy Harem night package released in April 30...
    ----
    DLsite coupon will expire at 5/6. So if I cant find this until this day, I buy it!
    Anything good from that softhouse-seal package or DLSite? Somehow I've associated both with cheap nukiges but maybe I'm generalizing too much.

I've played a bit of Hooksoft's ゆびさきコネクション, more specifically Natsuho's route in its entirety and bits and pieces of the common route for the other three (as well as all the random encounters). As far as the "message app" gimmick is concerned, I'm rather underwhelmed so far. It's at best a little extension of what Hooksoft already did with smartphone messages in Lovely Quest for example, but somehow less cute. The topic choice is a simple affair of picking the top choice or failing miserably, and the subsequent answers amount to either being a yes-man to anything the heroine says or being a rude-spoilsport, with little nuance in between. Maybe the other heroines are more involved in this (doubtful as Natsuho would seem like the most adept at this type of communication) but I have yet to even get their contact info halfway through the common route, I don't expect there to be too much to munch on.

Anyway other than that particular sell-point disappointment, the game is pretty okay. There's barely any common route and in fact you can finish a playthrough without even meeting half the cast. There weren't any heroine-heroine interactions in Natsuho's route and I don't expect there to be for the other three, as they all seem to have no knowledge of each other at all, let alone friendship. While I generally appreciate when protagonist are honest about their desires to get a girlfriend, I find this one to be a bit too blunt about it, as we are constantly reminded of how much our protagonist wants one. It's like he has nothing else in his life, his work is barely mentioned (we don't even know what he actually does) but doesn't seem particularly rewarding, he has no hobby, no passion, and only games a little, just enough to throw the occasional random complaint about mobages. As usual with Hooksoft the humor is rather tame, and only in the random encounters in the city do we see the SMEE influence make its way into the game. These can be pretty funny and are worth pursuing through, just beware that reaching the normal end will somehow overwrite your save n°1. During the prologue, we get a ton of advice on how to get into a relationship, perhaps focusing too much on physical appearance and first impression but that's apparently where the protagonist is lacking the most since he has no issues speaking to strangers or quickly getting on friendly terms.

Natsuho's route was, to be blunt, passable to okay. Hooksoft's previous game had a "fake" gyaru, but this time we get the real deal with typical obsession over makeup, appearances and of course, social media presence. I can't say I enjoyed the talks about fashion all that much, but they are not that overbearing either. The romance itself develops relatively fast, and for a old acquaintance heroine, surprisingly little is said about their common past. In fact, I have trouble seeing where the connection between the two was made at all, as their age is far enough apart that they really can't have attended the same school at any point (protagonist graduated university and worked for a few years, while Natsuho is still in high-school). Once the common route is over after a series of mini-events and night time messaging, things develops pretty quickly and are pretty unbalanced : the route is divided in 9 chapters, the sex begins already at chapter 2 all the way to 6, then we move on to a small amount of plot development with chapter 7, a date for chapter 8, then plot resolution for chapter 9, and we're done. This is in contrast to other Hooksoft games that generally took the time to develop the relationship at least a little bit before first ecchi, and I can't help but feel that the whole thing was rushed to some degree, and that some room was made to fit the 5 (plus one bonus) sex scenes per heroines which is 50% more than usual. I don't think Hooksoft's strength lies in its 18+ content, and that's certainly not the reason I play their game, so it's a bit weird to see them focus so much on it to the detriment of what made their games appealing in the first place. I can't say I had a bad time playing the game, but I can't say I had any "キュン" moments either, like I had in Lovely Quest or Melty Moment. Maybe the fact that the writing staff is mostly recent Hooksoft/SMEE games and noone of the old guard plays a big role in this.

I've also played bits of the common route for the other three heroines but I can't say I feel motivated to play more of any of them at this point.

搾精病棟 ~性格最悪のナースしかいない病院で射精管理生活~ : I generally don't comment on nukiges but this one was kinda special, in that of the reportedly worst personalities presented, I think the most appalling was none other that the protagonist. As a nukige the game failed utterly barely triggering any reaction, but I appreciated that the game didn't end in a harem paradise for the spineless protagonist, and I kinda liked Kurokawa in a twisted kind of way.

I've recently played through both Kanon and Clannad from Key, and they were certainly enjoyable, but I understand better now the parallels that were drawn between them and the more recent Summer Pockets. Since I played them in reverse chronological order, it turns out that these early games had their impact significantly lowered by my familiarity with Key's storytelling techniques and themes, especially in Clannad's main route. I still enjoyed reading them a lot, I am fond of Key's early game avalanche of choices, and Kanon's Nayuki and Clannad's Fuuko and suprisingly, Kyou routes really grasped me. Kanon in general I feel relies a bit too much on the paranormal and the protagonist's selective amnesia, but I really appreciated the lack of any kind of route lock or gimmick that Key embraced in its later titles. Clannad was a very fun read in its early parts, but I didn't like some of the routes (Kotomi, Tomoyo) and the protagonist's behavior in the true route was sometimes absolutely disgusting (especially with his dad and Ushio) that I don't know if he'll ever redeem himself in my heart. From Key's early titles, I think my favorite remains Air, for the impact it left on me, and for being the only with the guts to
      Spoiler: Air ending short but major spoiler 
    not forcelly deus-ex machina a happy ending

Also recently played, Pia♥キャロットへようこそ!! 3. The only thing I knew about the Pia Carrot franchise was from a manga I read a long time ago, that I stopped reading after the first volume as it was generic harem love-com all other again. Surprisingly this one has much more drama than I would have expected, especially in Sayaka's route but also in others, and presented characters with generally far more complex lives and experience that your typical moege (Miharu, wow...). While I expected a cheap cafe simulation, it turns out this simulation aspect barely matters (except in one particular basketball case) and I found myself growing fond of its characters more than I thought I would.
    Tu0714 likes this.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #1 ParticipantWOW #2 ParticipantWOW #4 Participant

Quote Originally Posted by kzel View Post

I've played a bit of Hooksoft's ゆびさきコネクション, more specifically Natsuho's route in its entirety and bits and pieces of the common route for the other three (as well as all the random encounters). As far as the "message app" gimmick is concerned, I'm rather underwhelmed so far. It's at best a little extension of what Hooksoft already did with smartphone messages in Lovely Quest for example, but somehow less cute. The topic choice is a simple affair of picking the top choice or failing miserably, and the subsequent answers amount to either being a yes-man to anything the heroine says or being a rude-spoilsport, with little nuance in between. Maybe the other heroines are more involved in this (doubtful as Natsuho would seem like the most adept at this type of communication) but I have yet to even get their contact info halfway through the common route, I don't expect there to be too much to munch on.

Anyway other than that particular sell-point disappointment, the game is pretty okay. There's barely any common route and in fact you can finish a playthrough without even meeting half the cast. There weren't any heroine-heroine interactions in Natsuho's route and I don't expect there to be for the other three, as they all seem to have no knowledge of each other at all, let alone friendship. While I generally appreciate when protagonist are honest about their desires to get a girlfriend, I find this one to be a bit too blunt about it, as we are constantly reminded of how much our protagonist wants one. It's like he has nothing else in his life, his work is barely mentioned (we don't even know what he actually does) but doesn't seem particularly rewarding, he has no hobby, no passion, and only games a little, just enough to throw the occasional random complaint about mobages. As usual with Hooksoft the humor is rather tame, and only in the random encounters in the city do we see the SMEE influence make its way into the game. These can be pretty funny and are worth pursuing through, just beware that reaching the normal end will somehow overwrite your save n°1. During the prologue, we get a ton of advice on how to get into a relationship, perhaps focusing too much on physical appearance and first impression but that's apparently where the protagonist is lacking the most since he has no issues speaking to strangers or quickly getting on friendly terms.

Natsuho's route was, to be blunt, passable to okay. Hooksoft's previous game had a "fake" gyaru, but this time we get the real deal with typical obsession over makeup, appearances and of course, social media presence. I can't say I enjoyed the talks about fashion all that much, but they are not that overbearing either. The romance itself develops relatively fast, and for a old acquaintance heroine, surprisingly little is said about their common past. In fact, I have trouble seeing where the connection between the two was made at all, as their age is far enough apart that they really can't have attended the same school at any point (protagonist graduated university and worked for a few years, while Natsuho is still in high-school). Once the common route is over after a series of mini-events and night time messaging, things develops pretty quickly and are pretty unbalanced : the route is divided in 9 chapters, the sex begins already at chapter 2 all the way to 6, then we move on to a small amount of plot development with chapter 7, a date for chapter 8, then plot resolution for chapter 9, and we're done. This is in contrast to other Hooksoft games that generally took the time to develop the relationship at least a little bit before first ecchi, and I can't help but feel that the whole thing was rushed to some degree, and that some room was made to fit the 5 (plus one bonus) sex scenes per heroines which is 50% more than usual. I don't think Hooksoft's strength lies in its 18+ content, and that's certainly not the reason I play their game, so it's a bit weird to see them focus so much on it to the detriment of what made their games appealing in the first place. I can't say I had a bad time playing the game, but I can't say I had any "キュン" moments either, like I had in Lovely Quest or Melty Moment. Maybe the fact that the writing staff is mostly recent Hooksoft/SMEE games and noone of the old guard plays a big role in this.

I've also played bits of the common route for the other three heroines but I can't say I feel motivated to play more of any of them at this point.
    What I get from Yubisaki Connection so far (going after Natusho too) is just how much of a bitter old coot I had become lol. She goes against everything I stand for, to be blunt, but I'll forge ahead anyway...will come back later on this.

That, and how it totally contrasts Houkago Cinderalla in the sense that it cuts all the crap of meaningless socialization and gets straight to picking during common.

Don't you always have to do the yes man in most cases in things like this...but this one does come across more blatantly than others, indeed.

I kinda like the 18+ to be there...the cases that no 18+ is worth it for me tend to be in something that is already 18+ to begin with...like Otoboku 2 Portable's Hatsune route that isn't there in the regular, 18+ version because she's interesting to begin with and even then I wish for 18+... I should try revisiting ToHeart 1 PSE (no 18+ ver) sometime...

Spoiler: hobby... 

Protagonists' hobby hunh... StrawberryNauts's an epic cook that keeps the girls' dorm fed for the year's time in exchange for a private quarters (not really, but it worked out to that effect), Lovely Quest does bonsai (although it doesn't really come to forefront, that's something), PriministAr's does handicraft and heads that club, IxSheTell's got some BBQ skillz, and ISuki is an amateur fisher...yeah, blank slates in this regard seems more norms than exceptions here [Hooksoft]...or they exist in an equal measure, I can't remember all...maybe if we include SugirlyWish's tendency to layeth the smackth down on his sister...

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by pingtoryan View Post
    What I get from Yubisaki Connection so far (going after Natusho too) is just how much of a bitter old coot I had become lol. She goes against everything I stand for, to be blunt, but I'll forge ahead anyway...will come back later on this.

That, and how it totally contrasts Houkago Cinderalla in the sense that it cuts all the crap of meaningless socialization and gets straight to picking during common.

Don't you always have to do the yes man in most cases in things like this...but this one does come across more blatantly than others, indeed.

I kinda like the 18+ to be there...the cases that no 18+ is worth it for me tend to be in something that is already 18+ to begin with...like Otoboku 2 Portable's Hatsune route that isn't there in the regular, 18+ version because she's interesting to begin with and even then I wish for 18+... I should try revisiting ToHeart 1 PSE (no 18+ ver) sometime...

Spoiler: hobby... 

Protagonists' hobby hunh... StrawberryNauts's an epic cook that keeps the girls' dorm fed for the year's time in exchange for a private quarters (not really, but it worked out to that effect), Lovely Quest does bonsai (although it doesn't really come to forefront, that's something), PriministAr's does handicraft and heads that club, IxSheTell's got some BBQ skillz, and ISuki is an amateur fisher...yeah, blank slates in this regard seems more norms than exceptions here [Hooksoft]...or they exist in an equal measure, I can't remember all...maybe if we include SugirlyWish's tendency to layeth the smackth down on his sister...
    I remember you had serious issues with Houkago Cinderella's gyaru, I'm surprised you went for Natsuho first in this one considering she is in some way worse in all aspects. It gets better as the route goes on but never really goes away so... yeah, my inner bitter old coot here too wasn't particularly amused by all of this, and many times I was actually thinking to myself how much high maintenance a girlfriend like her would be, both in terms of time and money.

I'm not against a short common route, but in this one even the most basic act of meeting two of the four heroines requires you to pick them. I would actually be okay if that translated into an actual proactive action from the protagonist to get to know them, but most of the time this just triggers a random encounter with said heroine without any particular protagonist intent, something that could have easily fitted into a common route format, at least for the first two or three episodes.

I agree about the yes-man thing in communication, especially on a shallow level so as to not make too many waves and risk stepping on a landmine topic. What I meant was that the choices offered here are so obviously divided between right and wrong (hint: top one is the way to go, always) that there's really no opportunity to feel the "thrill of romance via the latest means of communication". Instant messaging was already around during my own youth (not smartphones though), and Line apps have been in eroge for more than 10 years now, so this is hardly anything new. Moreover, there's not really any point in seeing wrong topics get shot down in one line (if even), or anger the heroine by being a spoilsport as she talks about her interests. To give a recent example, when talking about Hokkaido's specialties, rather than just agreeing or bluntly dismissing the topic, having the opportunity to choose between seafood or dairy products, and triggering short comments on either and maybe discovering a hidden trait (allergy) would be much more engaging. Kinda like Fureraba did it in its communication phase. I much prefer the way previous Hooksoft games made timed choices influence the intent and outcome of any particular line or action, and made worth it the time invested into seeing all the variations. Even in the limited message sequences in Lovely Quest and the like, while the protagonist wrote essentially the same thing, he could be either super blunt or teasing, triggering some variation of the same reply, something that isn't really available here.

I didn't mean to say that no 18+ content was the way to go, although some of my favorite heroines are indeed from games without any adult content. Maybe I'm also influenced by my recent playthrough of Key games with notoriously bad H content (Kanon's especially was really awkward, and I enjoyed the innuendo in Clannad much more). What I meant to say was that Hooksoft didn't build its brand by making nukiges, and shifting the ratio of content more towards H scenes isn't the way to make their games better or more memorable, especially if it's just to stick it all in the middle of the route without any plot development in between. A more interspersed, standard 4 scenes per heroine would have been much better in my opinion.

You're right that Hooksoft protagonist generally don't have much dedication to any particular hobby or passion. But it would help to have a little something to flesh out the character, even if it's just mentioned one or two times. In this game this absence is especially painful as there are no group of friends (or even any friend, the superior gets a sprite but doesn't even get a name...) or common route events to help flesh out the protagonist's personality. Again maybe I'm spoiled by Key and their actually fleshed-out protagonists (in good and bad ways).
    Last edited by kzel; May 3rd, 2021 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points

Anything good from that softhouse-seal package or DLSite? Somehow I've associated both with cheap nukiges but maybe I'm generalizing too much.
    I bought it from DLsite, cause I had 18% off coupon.

I'm playing Renai Royal and Kimagure Temptation now.
    I cheer Mari and Shione, they have mood of "Loser"
    I like Mari's funny face

hengao.png

and Shione's Crazy love

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I remember you had serious issues with Houkago Cinderella's gyaru, I'm surprised you went for Natsuho first in this one considering she is in some way worse in all aspects. It gets better as the route goes on but never really goes away so... yeah, my inner bitter old coot here too wasn't particularly amused by all of this, and many times I was actually thinking to myself how much high maintenance a girlfriend like her would be, both in terms of time and money.

I'm not against a short common route, but in this one even the most basic act of meeting two of the four heroines requires you to pick them. I would actually be okay if that translated into an actual proactive action from the protagonist to get to know them, but most of the time this just triggers a random encounter with said heroine without any particular protagonist intent, something that could have easily fitted into a common route format, at least for the first two or three episodes.

I agree about the yes-man thing in communication, especially on a shallow level so as to not make too many waves and risk stepping on a landmine topic. What I meant was that the choices offered here are so obviously divided between right and wrong (hint: top one is the way to go, always) that there's really no opportunity to feel the "thrill of romance via the latest means of communication". Instant messaging was already around during my own youth (not smartphones though), and Line apps have been in eroge for more than 10 years now, so this is hardly anything new. Moreover, there's not really any point in seeing wrong topics get shot down in one line (if even), or anger the heroine by being a spoilsport as she talks about her interests. To give a recent example, when talking about Hokkaido's specialties, rather than just agreeing or bluntly dismissing the topic, having the opportunity to choose between seafood or dairy products, and triggering short comments on either and maybe discovering a hidden trait (allergy) would be much more engaging. Kinda like Fureraba did it in its communication phase. I much prefer the way previous Hooksoft games made timed choices influence the intent and outcome of any particular line or action, and made worth it the time invested into seeing all the variations. Even in the limited message sequences in Lovely Quest and the like, while the protagonist wrote essentially the same thing, he could be either super blunt or teasing, triggering some variation of the same reply, something that isn't really available here.

I didn't mean to say that no 18+ content was the way to go, although some of my favorite heroines are indeed from games without any adult content. Maybe I'm also influenced by my recent playthrough of Key games with notoriously bad H content (Kanon's especially was really awkward, and I enjoyed the innuendo in Clannad much more). What I meant to say was that Hooksoft didn't build its brand by making nukiges, and shifting the ratio of content more towards H scenes isn't the way to make their games better or more memorable, especially if it's just to stick it all in the middle of the route without any plot development in between. A more interspersed, standard 4 scenes per heroine would have been much better in my opinion.

You're right that Hooksoft protagonist generally don't have much dedication to any particular hobby or passion. But it would help to have a little something to flesh out the character, even if it's just mentioned one or two times. In this game this absence is especially painful as there are no group of friends (or even any friend, the superior gets a sprite but doesn't even get a name...) or common route events to help flesh out the protagonist's personality. Again maybe I'm spoiled by Key and their actually fleshed-out protagonists (in good and bad ways).

I picked Natsuho for the looks this time...I braced, and I'm done. Turns out skipping the Hscenes chopped the length down enough to push through...more on that later.
    She got better - yes, but overall the incessant teasing is pretty much borderline abuse...to me, anyway. That aspect really is down to the reader so it doesn't matter much. That and the focus on being fashionable...ugh.
    Still though, there actually isn't much content. Could be that above factor clouding me, but I feel there aren't anything noteworthy all the way through. Nothing to the feelings either. The final chapter feels like an exposition dump of the heroine's growth, and that's it.

They're pretty upfront about heroines' themes this time as they're literally the OP song arrangements in the gallery. It kindles my interest to go forward, more or less.

Point taken now that I've seen how the thing play out. Like I said before, having 5 Hscenes in 9 chapters means that over half of the route content is H, and those can be accessed via memoir so you don't really lose much by skipping. May have worked in older, longer titles but not really with these 9-parters, it indeed makes it somewhat of nukige in disguise, especially with the pacing of Natsuho's route...
    Come to think of it, the "more real H experience with pubic hair" seemed to be a point touted in the game's page...

Spoiler: on the scenario of YubiCon 

The first scenario writer did ISuki and Houkago Cinderalla
    The second scenario writer did MakingLovers and SugarStyle
    Something to ponder on...

Thanks
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Tu0714 View Post
    I bought it from DLsite, cause I had 18% off coupon.

I'm playing Renai Royal and Kimagure Temptation now.
    I cheer Mari and Shione, they have mood of "Loser"
    I like Mari's funny face

hengao.png

and Shione's Crazy love
    If you liked Ren'ai Royale, you may also want to try Ren'ai, Karichaimashita that is very similar, provided you're okay laughing about money matters. I prefer older Asa Project titles, they are quite different from what the studio is putting out now but one of their trademark is that there's usually at least one heroine doing a "funny face" (変顔). If you like that then you may want to check them out as well. As for Kimagure Temptation, I was not a fan of the way the route branching was decided but overall had no issues with the scenario. Still, from the same author あけいろ怪奇譚 and to a lesser extent なないろリンカネーション are much better games in my opinion.

I picked Natsuho for the looks this time...I braced, and I'm done. Turns out skipping the Hscenes chopped the length down enough to push through...more on that later.
    She got better - yes, but overall the incessant teasing is pretty much borderline abuse...to me, anyway. That aspect really is down to the reader so it doesn't matter much. That and the focus on being fashionable...ugh.
    Still though, there actually isn't much content. Could be that above factor clouding me, but I feel there aren't anything noteworthy all the way through. Nothing to the feelings either. The final chapter feels like an exposition dump of the heroine's growth, and that's it.

They're pretty upfront about heroines' themes this time as they're literally the OP song arrangements in the gallery. It kindles my interest to go forward, more or less.

Point taken now that I've seen how the thing play out. Like I said before, having 5 Hscenes in 9 chapters means that over half of the route content is H, and those can be accessed via memoir so you don't really lose much by skipping. May have worked in older, longer titles but not really with these 9-parters, it indeed makes it somewhat of nukige in disguise, especially with the pacing of Natsuho's route...
    Come to think of it, the "more real H experience with pubic hair" seemed to be a point touted in the game's page...

Spoiler: on the scenario of YubiCon 

The first scenario writer did ISuki and Houkago Cinderalla
    The second scenario writer did MakingLovers and SugarStyle
    Something to ponder on...
    I didn't feel anything noteworthy or emotionally impactful either, but maybe that's just Natsuho's route. Since you finished it, maybe you can help me understand her past relationship to the protagonist since you tend to notice details I miss. What exactly is their age difference and where exactly did they form this senpai/kouhai relationship? The protagonist keeps making a big deal out of being way older than her but if they attended the same school it can't be that much, at most 2 years apart. And yet he attended university (only mentioned in other routes so maybe not?) and worked for a few years while Natsuho is still in high-school, presumably 3rd year. That's mean at least 4 to 5 years difference, if not more depending on how far he went in his studies. Then again, in Natsuho's ending
      Spoiler: Natsuho ending spoiler 
    It seems she got hired straight out of high-school by the protagonist's company without needing any university diploma, so it could be then attended the same high-school, and he was 3rd year when she was first.

I've played a bit of Mikoto's route (not even past common) but I don't like how the protagonist is constantly playing dumb, like when he asks "how do you know where I live?!", or when he keeps calling her perfect when she has shown, proven and said multiple times that she is not. Another thing I noticed about the message gimmick is that the topic seems to be chosen at random, and therefore the discussion isn't affected at all by how much the two know of each other. I think that's another reason why these feel so detached from the story and another missed opportunity to display the couple growing closer by having more and more friendly messages or topics that only a close relationship would allow.

Hooksoft has been advertising 18+ sell-points for a while now, I remember the clothes on/off all the way from E-school Life, and I-suki's leading/lead choice, while also impacting the route as whole, was also kind of a choice of sex scene orientation. Was there also a clothed option in Houkago Cinderella? I don't remember. Anyway it's certainly an angle they're been pursuing as of a few games ago.

I've briefly skimmed through 幼馴染のいる暮らし from Azarashi Soft. The beginning was incredibly worrying given how generic and fast-paced it was, but the game quickly gets back on track for being essentially a light version of Chitose's route from Amakano 2 (I say that but I still didn't get past first ecchi...). Not surprising considering its text is authored by Ryuu Gakuru, the same writer as this game. It was very sweet but nothing that really grasped my heart, I think getting the two characters in a relationship in the first 10 minutes of the game didn't let me get endeared to the characters enough to care about their (minor) issues. There are quite a lot of cameos from メイドさんのいる暮らし, that game was terrible but its characters are more bearable in this one, and they mostly ignore the elephant in the room. I kinda wish for a low-price game featuring Aikawa now.
    Last edited by kzel; May 5th, 2021 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added 幼馴染のいる暮らし comments

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I didn't feel anything noteworthy or emotionally impactful either, but maybe that's just Natsuho's route. Since you finished it, maybe you can help me understand her past relationship to the protagonist since you tend to notice details I miss. What exactly is their age difference and where exactly did they form this senpai/kouhai relationship? The protagonist keeps making a big deal out of being way older than her but if they attended the same school it can't be that much, at most 2 years apart. And yet he attended university (only mentioned in other routes so maybe not?) and worked for a few years while Natsuho is still in high-school, presumably 3rd year. That's mean at least 4 to 5 years difference, if not more depending on how far he went in his studies. Then again, in Natsuho's ending
      Spoiler: Natsuho ending spoiler 
    It seems she got hired straight out of high-school by the protagonist's company without needing any university diploma, so it could be then attended the same high-school, and he was 3rd year when she was first.

I've played a bit of Mikoto's route (not even past common) but I don't like how the protagonist is constantly playing dumb, like when he asks "how do you know where I live?!", or when he keeps calling her perfect when she has shown, proven and said multiple times that she is not. Another thing I noticed about the message gimmick is that the topic seems to be chosen at random, and therefore the discussion isn't affected at all by how much the two know of each other. I think that's another reason why these feel so detached from the story and another missed opportunity to display the couple growing closer by having more and more friendly messages or topics that only a close relationship would allow.

Hooksoft has been advertising 18+ sell-points for a while now, I remember the clothes on/off all the way from E-school Life, and I-suki's leading/lead choice, while also impacting the route as whole, was also kind of a choice of sex scene orientation. Was there also a clothed option in Houkago Cinderella? I don't remember. Anyway it's certainly an angle they're been pursuing as of a few games ago.

Spoiler: On Natsuho 

Natsuho's going to graduate that year, and protag had been working for unspecified years and got used to his job since finishing university...my thought on the matter is that the school they went to probably is at least a full secondary school (middle to high school taken consecutively in same school without needing more entrance exams)...or for more margin of error, it could be primary-middle-high all in one escalator school.

Since the protag was quite explicit about going to university, him getting hired straight out of high school can be ruled out.

Or Natsuho may have repeated a year or two at some point in addition to the already large year gap. It is shown in-route that academics isn't her strength, she's just in it to make friends and have fun.

Remember, from SugirlyWish, Anna repeats second year (slightly implied to be intentional) while her best friend Akane is on third year and the latter's explicit about them formerly being classmates. Repeating a year is not likely out of the question.

Normally it takes 4 years for a non-medical bachelor degree...an assumption that the protag worked extremely hard to finish a year early could be made. This guy worked so hard to get used to work life he forgot all about enjoyment, after all...although that'd be a tad far-fetched. He worked part-time in his university days, so was told in a conversation with Yuzuki just before getting her contact...for a normal guy to pull that off in such condition is very, very unlikely.

If Natsuho was 1st year and the protag's 3rd when they met as you think...Natsuho has 3 years maximum to remain a 3rd year student assuming one year repeated as she would have become 2nd year by the time the protag starts university. Even if the guy finishes university in 3 years and get hired straight out of there it wouldn't add up as he'd just be starting out with his job. Natsuho's got serious about her "goal" just a few months before graduation and said goal being getting into her boyfriend's company, being hired straight up, won't even make sense.

A likely scenario is that she was just entering secondary education and he was about to finish for a 5 school year gap, but what Natsuho says at one point "I just can't leave him be. I thought if he smarten up just a bit he'd be great" or something of that effect wouldn't make much sense then. I very much doubt that her 12-13 years old self would think of him like that...and I also doubt that one would become gyaru that early, too, but in this swirl of madness might as well assume that anything can happen...

If there is a 5 school year gap and she repeated, say, sixth year that'd give enough time for the protag to work for two years, which is probably the most sensical answer I can come up with.

Could she be so dumb that it takes her two attempts to pass each year (would that make her group of friends as dumb too?)? Did she pull an Anna and planned all her repeats just to get be able to dress up and troll her senpai when he's got a job?

Could he actually be a dropout and lying to us about it?

Remaining pen (touchscreen) pals for this long though...???

Either I'm thinking way too deep into this or the writers didn't think things through...
    I failed at formal logic in uni myself...that would have been very helpful here...

Yuzuki's a much more pleasant character so far...will this be a Yuu-Yuu combi?
    Natsuho's swift entry into route seems to be an exception because you get to text her right from the first night which appear to chop off the time needed to get others' contact details and start texting them at night (I just got to the point that I can text Yuzuki at night and it took four parts).

Yes...if you follow walkthrough religiously you'd be save scumming (quickjump works too) for the desired chat topic. It takes a while in Fureraba for the stare option to show up, like...

Houkago Cinderalla's H gimmick is clothed/naked just like E-School Life.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Spoiler: On Natsuho 

Natsuho's going to graduate that year, and protag had been working for unspecified years and got used to his job since finishing university...my thought on the matter is that the school they went to probably is at least a full secondary school (middle to high school taken consecutively in same school without needing more entrance exams)...or for more margin of error, it could be primary-middle-high all in one escalator school.

Since the protag was quite explicit about going to university, him getting hired straight out of high school can be ruled out.

Or Natsuho may have repeated a year or two at some point in addition to the already large year gap. It is shown in-route that academics isn't her strength, she's just in it to make friends and have fun.

Remember, from SugirlyWish, Anna repeats second year (slightly implied to be intentional) while her best friend Akane is on third year and the latter's explicit about them formerly being classmates. Repeating a year is not likely out of the question.

Normally it takes 4 years for a non-medical bachelor degree...an assumption that the protag worked extremely hard to finish a year early could be made. This guy worked so hard to get used to work life he forgot all about enjoyment, after all...although that'd be a tad far-fetched. He worked part-time in his university days, so was told in a conversation with Yuzuki just before getting her contact...for a normal guy to pull that off in such condition is very, very unlikely.

If Natsuho was 1st year and the protag's 3rd when they met as you think...Natsuho has 3 years maximum to remain a 3rd year student assuming one year repeated as she would have become 2nd year by the time the protag starts university. Even if the guy finishes university in 3 years and get hired straight out of there it wouldn't add up as he'd just be starting out with his job. Natsuho's got serious about her "goal" just a few months before graduation and said goal being getting into her boyfriend's company, being hired straight up, won't even make sense.

A likely scenario is that she was just entering secondary education and he was about to finish for a 5 school year gap, but what Natsuho says at one point "I just can't leave him be. I thought if he smarten up just a bit he'd be great" or something of that effect wouldn't make much sense then. I very much doubt that her 12-13 years old self would think of him like that...and I also doubt that one would become gyaru that early, too, but in this swirl of madness might as well assume that anything can happen...

If there is a 5 school year gap and she repeated, say, sixth year that'd give enough time for the protag to work for two years, which is probably the most sensical answer I can come up with.

Could she be so dumb that it takes her two attempts to pass each year (would that make her group of friends as dumb too?)? Did she pull an Anna and planned all her repeats just to get be able to dress up and troll her senpai when he's got a job?

Could he actually be a dropout and lying to us about it?

Remaining pen (touchscreen) pals for this long though...???

Either I'm thinking way too deep into this or the writers didn't think things through...
    I failed at formal logic in uni myself...that would have been very helpful here...

Yuzuki's a much more pleasant character so far...will this be a Yuu-Yuu combi?
    Natsuho's swift entry into route seems to be an exception because you get to text her right from the first night which appear to chop off the time needed to get others' contact details and start texting them at night (I just got to the point that I can text Yuzuki at night and it took four parts).

Yes...if you follow walkthrough religiously you'd be save scumming (quickjump works too) for the desired chat topic. It takes a while in Fureraba for the stare option to show up, like...

Houkago Cinderalla's H gimmick is clothed/naked just like E-School Life.
      Spoiler: Natsuho's Past Mystery 
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the protagonist mentioned specifically any university education *in Natsuho's route*. My thoughts on this is that in this specific route the company he works in hires straight out of high-school, just like Natsuho was in her ending. If we assume the protagonist graduated high-school and got hired when Natsuho entered 2nd year of high-school, he would have had a bit more than a year of work behind him at the start of the game, which could explain his comments.

EDIT: then again, the protagonist has been drinking alcohol in an official capacity (after work) for a while and has no issues getting served alcohol at that bar alone, which would imply he's at least over 20 and has been for a while now. High-school typically ends around 17 so my first theory doesn't really stand anymore. Not that ages are a thing to go by in eroge logic anyway (so many "18+" 1st year high-schoolers), but still.

If he did attend university, then the only way is as you mention if they attended a combined middle-school/high-school establishment, but then again the age gap at this early age would make contact between the two extremely unlikely, especially if they are both on the far ends of the age spectrum (likely different buildings, areas, etc...). In Natsuho's words the protagonist then was nothing special, and I don't see him being noticed by a 12/13 year old girl.

I guess they could have both been in the same high-school and she then could have repeated a lot of years but I think that would have been reflected in her circle of friends, and for someone as conscious about her image I really don't think that's the intended explanation. Even assuming the protagonist attended a vocational school and only did a 2 year cycle, that's two years repeated for Natsuho at least, enough to be quite the odd one in a classroom, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I still think this is just a case of mismatch of protagonist setting between route writers. One assumed he attended university, one did not. We know so little about the protagonist's past or his position in the company, he could be anything really. We know he works with numbers to some extent and can be tasked to write presentation materials, but apart from that? Maybe it's kept deliberately vague so as to fit multiple explanations depending on the heroine of the moment. Maybe that's also why the game avoids speaking directly about this period the protagonist and Natsuho supposedly spent together and how they became friends. I think it's a pretty serious lapse in information to understand the characters' relationship, though.

Is there even any point in getting particular topics in the night-time messaging sessions? Apart from reading them all that is, but that is easily achievable by save-scumming at any of the messaging opportunities. I think there's about a dozen topics or so, but it's all surface level and the more intimate messages are always initiated by the heroine at specific points in their stories. As far as I could tell there were no additional topics unlocked in the later stages (before confession, because after that the opportunity goes away), but I admit I haven't experimented with the system for hours on end to make sure.
    Last edited by kzel; Yesterday at 06:10 AM. Reason: more theory

Thread Information