Please recommend anime for mature viewers

redryder74

Jul 29, 2011
My wife and I used to watch anime 10 years ago, but stopped. Needless to say we've lost touch with the current anime scene. Could you recommend anime series with mature themes, non-hentai, that we can watch together? Comedy, romance, slice of life type. No scifi, horror or mecha. An example that we both enjoyed was Usagi Drop.

I also have all the Ghibli movies already, but welcome any other anime movie suggestions.

Also, can you recommend a clean anime that my 9 yr old girl would enjoy? I recently downloaded Card Captor Sakura and she loves it. Any other shows suitable for her?

Natsuyuki Rendezvous comes to mind as an ongoing series for you and your wife. I also heard good things about Kuragehime, but haven't watched it myself.
Hmm, as for movies - 5 Centimeters per Second, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Recollections of a Certain Pilot. They should fit your preferences pretty much in that order.

As for your daughter - the Precure franchise might be interesting. Not sure if those have been dubbed, though. Sailor Moon might also be something for her if she didn't watch it already.

Reactions: redryder74
If your daughter likes Card Captor Sakura, would magical lyrical nanoha suit her? That's just an idea.

I suggest Spice and Wolf and Mushishi. Man those are awesome.

Could you recommend anime series with mature themes, non-hentai, that we can watch together? Comedy, romance, slice of life type. No scifi, horror or mecha. An example that we both enjoyed was Usagi Drop.

Here's a longer list with few that are not so mature in setting but still you might find enjoyable when you watch it together:

Also, can you recommend a clean anime that my 9 yr old girl would enjoy? I recently downloaded Card Captor Sakura and she loves it. Any other shows suitable for her?

Not necessarily the best choices, but I hope she'd might like some of these:

:goodluck:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a rather good show. Though not the cup of tea of many adults, it is rather serious at times and is not just another fantasy anime but has pseudo-scientific explanations for alchemy and other alchemy/fantasy themes.

xxxHolic is also a good choice for any mature person, really. Starting as not very serious, it is a spirit themed show which focuses on a teenager who must work for an ageless witch in return for her making the spirits that want to eat his soul stay away.

FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is also an anime most can enjoy. It is widely regarded as among the best anime and is quite short and just generally great.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll keep a look out.

What about recent anime for adult males? Anime that I loved in the past - Rurouni Kenshin, Kimagure Orange Road & Cowboy Bebop are three of my all time favorites. I've watched Full Metal Alchemist and give it a 7 or 8/10. Don't mind ecchi anime as long as the plot is good.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll keep a look out.

What about recent anime for adult males? Anime that I loved in the past - Rurouni Kenshin, Kimagure Orange Road & Cowboy Bebop are three of my all time favorites. I've watched Full Metal Alchemist and give it a 7 or 8/10. Don't mind ecchi anime as long as the plot is good.

Gonna try a known and obvious one, have you seen Black Lagoon? That shit is totally badass.

how about Elfen lied...the blood..the orgel..the..chopped head..and chopped limb..kukukukuku:evillaugh:

I got a whole list.. Yuri, tentacle bestiality 1 on 1... Just ask what you preffer.

Rin, Blassreiter, Hellsing Ultimate... the list for guys is decidedly longer and easier. :P

The parents watch Fate/Zero and her child watching Ghibli-animes!

I suggest Spice and Wolf and Mushishi. Man those are awesome.
But Spice and Wolf have nudity in it, on the early part of the anime. I don't think that would be suitable for little girl.

The parents watch Fate/Zero and her child watching Ghibli-animes!
Aye, agreed on ya about Ghibli animes for the child, but I would recommend you keep Grave of the Fireflies away until she old enough to understand. The story is too touching and disturbingly sad. If a 30yo man can cry watching it, imagine what it will do to a 9 years old.

If your daughter likes Card Captor Sakura, would magical lyrical nanoha suit her? That's just an idea.
How about Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle? It got characters that she familiar with - Sakura, Syaoran, Tomoyo(briefly) & Kero-chan(in 1 episode).

But Spice and Wolf have nudity in it, on the early part of the anime. I don't think that would be suitable for little girl.

I thought it was clear I recommended something for the parents. :(

I thought it was clear I recommended something for the parents. :(
I guess I accidentally skipped that part, since there were so much posts suggesting which anime good to watch, before it's my turn to post. Silly ol' me.:sowwy:

Sailor Moon whould be perfect for your 9 year old, and the most perfect whould be sugar sugar rune I was watching it when I was 7 and I loved it! Its a nice anime colorful and many episodes!
For you and your wife I whould watch the amazing but sad love story clannad! and I whould sugest Air and EF Tale of memories to!

Last edited:
Not sure about what to recommend, but just want to give a precaution:

Whatever someone else say to you, do NOT let your daughter watch Madoka Magica...

(seriously, if a little kid watch that show, she'll probably be scarred for life, especially that episode 3 moment - -')

This is a creepy anime.. mature content expl.
watch "Gyo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
This one is so buggy, do you have the update for this?
アナスタシアと堕淫の呪い to v21.08.02
tahmurath wrote on amaimono's profile.
Hi. amaimono. What if you have it savedata Boku No Elf Oneesan "My Elf Elder Sister" just now,
Can you Give me It Savedata ??
Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks