LazyCat

Elite Member
Apr 1, 2012
Anyone watching Hyouka?

Since I don't see any thread on this anime I figured I'd start one to see if anyone else is as intrigued by this little gem as I.

To start with, I did not planned to watch it, I dl'd 1st episode on a whim after seeing a screenshot of a certain scene (hint: green flowers, kininarimasu-face)

It's a very ordinarily boring story. Some normal people meet and ends up in situations that'd actually be pretty normal to occur somewhere.

Then as I finished the episode, I found myself, to my own surprise, intrigued.

It's a seemingly boring situation, on the boring everyday live, with 'mystery' that also turned out to be not very mysterious.

It's got nothing that is extraordinary nor is it a moe-fanservice anime. Yet there I was, wanting to watch more.

So that's my story, so far 7 episodes in and I haven't lost interest. It's almost like when I watched Nisemonogatari that I'd sit down, then the next time I look away 30 minutes would've passed, yet without the insanity that is Shaft's animation.

Re: Anyone watching Hyouka?

[MENTION=18549]LazyCat[/MENTION]

Hi. Sorry for the lateness, probably no one around's kind enough to create a discussion thread.
Maybe I will create one shortly then I would probably ask an admin or mod to move your comments over. :)

[MENTION=18549]LazyCat[/MENTION]

I am also watching it.

I feel quite similarly about the 'slow start', but it is a good watch.

I mostly watched it because ChouCho was singing and then I watched it for the anime itself.

I can start the thread [MENTION=77]Terumi[/MENTION] I wouldn't mind.

EDIT:

Thread has been made.

http://www.anime-sharing.com/forum/anime-talk-9/hyouka-67752/#post393694

I sent a message to Checkmate to see if he would merge the threads as well.

Last edited:

I've fallen behind in the anime since I'm currently watching Fate/Zero, Lupin III and SKET Dance and catching up on other anime. Though my friend [MENTION=27460]Bloodhorn[/MENTION] is up to date with the anime.

Hyouka

氷菓

38273.jpg

Adapted from Honobu Yonezawa's light novel, Hyouka.

Oreki Houtarou is a minimalistic high school boy. One day, he joins the Classic Literature Club at his elder sister's request.

There he meets Chitanda Eru, Fukube Satoshi, and Ibara Mayaka. Chitanda is a calm beautiful girl but she turns into an embodiment of curiosity once she says, "I'm interested in it (Watashi, Kininarimasu)". Fukube is a smiling boy with a fantastic memory who calls himself a database. Ibara is a short girl and is strict with others and herself. She loves Fukube, but he always dodges her approaches.

They begin to investigate a case that occurred 45 years ago. Hints of the mystery are buried in an old collection of works of the former members of Classics Club. The collection is titled "Hyouka."

---

Opening Theme:

1. "Yasashisa no Riyuu (優しさの理由)" by Choucho
2. "Mikansei Stride (未完成ストライド)" by Saori Kodama

Ending Theme:

1. "Madoromi no Yakusoku (まどろみの約束)" by Satomi Satou & Ai Kayano
2. "Kimi ni Matsuwaru Mystery (君にまつわるミステリー)" by Satomi Satou & Ai Kayano

---

Main Seiyuu Cast: Satomi Satou, Daisuke Sakaguchi, Ai Kayano, Yuuichi Nakamura

Supporting Seiyuu Cast: Ryotaro Okiayu, Aki Toyosaki, Atsushi Abe, Yui Ogura, Yukana, Ami Koshimizu and many more respectable seiyuu

---

Producer: Hideaki Hatta
Director: Yasuhiro Takemoto
Series Composition: Shoji Gatoh
Music: Kouhei Tanaka
Character Design: Futoshi Nishiya
Planning: Yoko Hatta
Animation Production: Kyoto Animation

--

Credits go to MAL. Please visit the site for more information about this anime or other series.

Reactions: AhGwee
Yuuichi Nakamura, Daisuke Sakaguchi and Satomi Satou :3

Really love the mood this anime gives off, and Oreki is such an interesting main character.

Must, catch up, soon.

Yeah, the seiyuu are top notch.

I think most have noticed by now, but Yuuichi as Oreki and Daisuke as Satoshi has a similar reflection to Clannad. (Tomoya and Youhei)

Thanks for the heads up Bloodhorn.

Just in case for those new to this, please put 'spoiler' if you have any 'specific/relevant' information about the episodes in case we have not watch them.

Thank you. ^^

Episode 8 seem to be a 2-episode arc, setting it up now and resolve it in episode 9 (at least I don't see how it'd extend it further, unlike the initial arc)

So those that don't like cliffhanger, you might want to wait until next week and watch the 2 episodes together.
I'm a bit sad there's not enough Houtarou's inner thought moment though.
-Episode 1's green flower is beautiful
-Episode 2's restaurant moment is...impactful
-Episode 6's little Eru is stuff for nightmare, as linked in 10 minutes by Kou earlier

On a different topic:
Anyone interested in solving the mystery of the video? According to the dialogue and how the plot has followed the proper rule of mystery story we can summarize this much:
1. One of those 6 is the culprit.
2. The culprit (should) act solo.
3. We've seen enough clues to figuring out the crime.

I'll probably edit this post later for my own take.

I didnt like this episode in any particular.

Yukana (Irisu) in yet another high school girl role. Lovely. The horror depiction of summer in Japan, when weather gets hot till you dont want to do ANYTHING. Houtarou's monolouge still remains golden, he would still need a lot more lines to compare with Kyon though, but his conclusions have been perfect till now.

The self-directed movie was bad enough, I suspect KyoAni's motives in delivering this 2 episode cour. Well, we will see who's the real culprit next week then.

In order to draw some conclusion into what happened in the short film il have to rewatch it a few times, give me some time

Last edited:
Out of the 5 remainings:
Glass guy (Sugimura Jirou)
Tall guy (Katsuta Takeo)
Girl with bow in her hair (Yamanishi Midori)
Brown hair girl (Senoue Mamiko)
Black haired girl (Kounosu Yuri)

At the start, Yuri get some suspicions:
+She finds the map (seemingly before they split up)
+She can tell where the office and the keys are
+During the key picking, she skip the key seemingly closest to her to one slightly next to it.
(The map shows 3 windows to the office, meaning anyone who goes outside can drop in there and get the master key)

The split
Yuri, Takeo and Midori return first.
Mamiko return next.
Jirou doesn't return until called, despite his room being close by and rather small.
(There's balcony on second floor he can use to go around the building unnoticed)

Waiting Room
On the second one, there seem to be a slight gap to the right, a bit past the paper screen, that might suggest the window can be opened/was opened), this might be the entrance for the culprit.

The door
Takeo only grabbed the knob, he didn't seem to turn it (lacking the clacking sound)
Although the later unlock sound when they put in the key suggest he was right .- .

The corpse
He's near the window, with glass shards around him.
There's a hand nearby, most likely the victim's, with a key next to it.
When Takeo opened the window, the grass outside had no blood/didn't look disturbed, implying the window was not used by the culprit (as well as requiring a fair amount of strength to open, thus less likely the girls to be the culprit)
The other 2 route into the room (through another room and the hall behind) are blocked, the spider web being intact imply the hallway wasn't used either.
Meaning it's a locked room scenario.

Assuming only one culprit and no partner, as well as the culprit must get arrested (culprit who committed suicide in the end is part of a bad mystery):
Takeo and Midori are not likely, since they were together (also Takeo and Mamiko get killed in the preview, and a 3rd girl who's not part of the group is shown, but she's most likely part of flashback for the culprit)
Meaning it's Jirou or Yuri, both seem to have enough time to go murder Kaito if they use the 2nd floor to get to 1st floor 2nd wairing room, kill Kaitou then swap THEIR key with Kaitou's on the floor so nobody notice it's the wrong key, lock the door, then return (using the paper door's shadow to hide a ladder or something)

The option of saying the dead person is one's older/younger sister is plausible for both Jirou and Yuri as well (both black hair)

Right now, my vote is on Yuri since she's got the key setting up (she grabbed the second floor room above the side Kaitou will go)

Episode 9 is out...which didn't end this arc unlike what I thought .- . can't believe 30 minutes disappear that fast...

Turns out those scenes in the preview from ep 8 is actually just imagination from other characters whose theories are all wrong anyway (using the rules of mystery and such)

New informations in this chapter are:
-The character of Yuri is actually part of a mountaineer club.
-The script was VERY detailed, such as preventing some actions as to not make false evidence.
-The blood at first requested by the writer was a lot less than what's used in the scene.
-The writer asked for a strong rope as part of the prop.

Well, my guess is still with Yuri, again because she's the one that grabbed all the keys and thus can sort of setup where everyone go (more so if she planned to murder Kaitou to start, she could've setup a meeting in that room and such)
If she's the one with rope and is as strong as the information suggest, then instead of finding a ladder to climb down she can just use the rope to go into that second waiting room.

And I still think after she murder Kaitou, she replaced his key with hers in the severed hand, and can thus leave and lock the door on the way out.

.- . Well, I'm still not sure how he was killed or how/why the murderer cut off his arm (I don't think a guy will just fall over from having his arm cut off...especially with how little blood was requested...

Maybe the murderer actually use the rope to strangle him THEN cut the arm off so the key switch will be less obvious...

Drunk Chitanda is cute Chitanda.

Nice theories by second and third senpais. Yet, we still dont know the answer, and it stretching from 2 to 3 episodes now probably does not bode well for the series.

Drunk Chitanda is cute Chitanda.

Nice theories by second and third senpais. Yet, we still dont know the answer, and it stretching from 2 to 3 episodes now probably does not bode well for the series.

There's a few details that were different

For example, in the LN instead of all 3 in a single day, the club actually spent 3 different days to meet them one by one.
The moment where Eru's face suddenly changed from red to paler than her normal face before dropping with a thud was there. HOWEVER!
They didn't show the moment where she woke up later and get embarassed for getting so drunk she passed out.

So they stuffing all 3 meetings into one day and one episode (as well as a few step into the next chapter for Houtarou meeting with Irisu) is probably at a good speed already.
.- . While this means they might not get everything done, it just means there's still materials for future seasons

This anime just gets more and more interesting, the cliff hanger in episode 10 is probably my most favourite ending so far in the series.
I was also wondering who everyone's favourite character is, mine is Chitanda due to her curious attitude, how about you guys?

in episode 8.. did anyone hear "mama" or something similar in the background, after the characters were introduced?

Yea I heard it too although I have no idea why it was said, anyone have any ideas?

Turns out EVERYONE IS WRONG, and that includes Houtarou (he realizes it later which will probably get covered in the coming episode)

Turns out, the whole thing's a ploy by Irisu to have someone, anyone, to finish the plot in a satisfactory way.

What happened is that Hongou wrote the script til now, wanting a story with no death.
Then the filming crew turn that into Kaitou dying, thus implying a murder and throwing her plan out the window.

So Hongou is stressed, since she don't want to disappoint the filming group that they did it wrong and she herself doesn't want/can't continue the murder plot line.

So she asked Irisu for help.

Irisu in turn ask her sempai for idea on what to do (double spoiler: Houtarou's sister, the "A-ta-shi" in the chatlog part)
Irisu then ask Chitanda to bring the Classic club to watch the preview, then plan it from there to get Houtarou to create the scenario.

What a twist that was '. '

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3