[Entries] WOW #6 - August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

|♚|KK|♚|

heading1.png

We're accepting both poems and short stories for this round too. Prose may be more suitable for those with more leisure as it can take quite some time to plan, write, and proofread. Poetry may cater more to the adventurous as it can take a higher level of challenge to compose and construct. By allowing both, we hope to see more participants and more diversity without alienating anyone who leans more to either side.

As usual, all participants will get this award...
award-entrant.png

...but the winner will get this!
award-winner.png

heading2.png

I suppose it's more appropriate to call these "criteria", but referring to them as "rules" may help ensure that people pay attention to them. At least, I hope so. Anyway, the rules for WOW are pretty simple:

1. Your entry can be EITHER a short story OR a poem.
  2. For short stories: Minimum 500 words. Maximum 1500 words.
    For poems: Minimum 4 lines. Maximum 40 lines. (Line breaks don't count.)
  3. No racism, religious topics, overly obscene depictions, animal/child abuse or other inflammatory topics.
  4. You can pick any title you like for your entry as long as it conforms with #3.
  5. Please post your finished entry wrapped within spoilers in this thread.

heading3.png

The theme for this month's Weavers of Words shall be...

X4OZ46.jpg

PURE HAPPINESS.

"“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”"
― Thich Nhat Hanh,

So, What IS Happiness?

The research suggests that happiness is a combination of how satisfied you are with your life (for example, finding meaning in your work) and how good you feel on a day-to-day basis. Both of these are relatively stable—that is, our life changes, and our mood fluctuates, but our general happiness is more genetically determined than anything else. The good news is, with consistent effort, this can be offset. Think of it like you think about weight: if you eat how you want to and are as active as you want to be, your body will settle at a certain weight. But if you eat less than you'd like or exercise more, your weight will adjust accordingly. If that new diet or exercise regimen becomes part of your everyday life, then you'll stay at this new weight. If you go back to eating and exercising the way you used to, your weight will return to where it started. So it goes, too, with happiness.

In other words, you have the ability to control how you feel—and with consistent practice, you can form life-long habits for a more satisfying and fulfilling life.

Anyway, to clarify:

The theme for WOW #6 is JOY.
“When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.”

The deadline is on 30 AUGUST 2016.
You MAY edit your entry submission post as many times as you please before the deadline.

Please submit your entry before the deadline. If you're unsure about certain aspects of your draft entry, feel free to ask around in the discussion thread. You can have only ONE post in the entry submission thread, but you're not restricted from discussing the WOW as much as you want in the discussion thread. The deadline may be extended on our discretion if circumstances necessitate it, but it won't be shortened for no reason, so rest assured and don't rush. Take your time to make a masterpiece!

This thread is only for ENTRIES!
For discussions, questions and comments, please go to this thread instead.

Incomparable past existence
A verse in truth this present tense
Thoughts comprehend for things of void
A mind as empty as the known avoid
Unfathomed surrealism of things unseen
What never was or never what has been
Joy springs forth from things we cannot grasp
We come to understand nothing with no questions asked

Last edited:
The joy of love, as seen from a slightly different perspective.

Quest of the Suitor

841 Words.

Quest of the Suitor

Come to me my suitor,
Come to me, my love.
Join me in the mating dance,
Join me up above.

Dance for me my suitor,
Dance for me so fine.
We’ll share a Waltz of passion,
We’ll share a joy divine.

Come to me my suitor,
Dance for me so fine.
Join me in the mating Waltz,
Our joy will be divine.

As tradition set forth, Lilliastra’s song began the ritual mating quest, her first ever. Suitors from all sides began to approach Lilliastra, eager to be her chosen mate. Some suitors boldly fought, some suitors tremulously skulked. Tranyir lithely danced, avoiding suitors when he had to, dancing over them when he could.

Tranyir was ecstatic with joy! He and Lilliastra were from the same nest, and had grown up together. As his goddess grew in size and power, as she began to approach maturity, Tranyir’s love for his childhood playmate grew deeper and deeper. She had to be his! She would be his!

Nearby, he could see his nest brother, Bastran, fighting with any suitor that came too near. Tranyir had no love for Bastran. His nest brother was a bully, slightly stronger than other brothers, happy to beat and cow them to submission. But he could not bully Lilliastra!

Like the other goddesses, she was easily five times the size of the largest brother, and over ten times stronger. In fact, she was even larger and stronger than the other goddesses of their nest. A magnificent warrior, Tranyir had once seen Lilliastra fight and kill a flying sword dancer, dodging and evading the striped demon’s lethal sword, stabbing it’s soft underbelly with her dagger of death!

No, Lilliastra would not be impressed with Bastran’s puny (by comparison) prowess. She did not need a fighter, she needed a lover.

As Tranyir lithely approached his goddess, Bastran lunged toward him. His nest brother hated him. He was never close to Lilliastra, and was jealous of her friendship with Tranyir. Bastran would kill his nest brother if he could. But they were no longer nest brothers; with the goddess’ song, they were now rival suitors. Tranyir was no easy target. He may have been smaller, but he was faster and more dexterous. He danced around and over him, easily gaining ground. Tranyir smirked with joy as other suitors took the chance to attack his foe.

Tranyir reached his goddess, his love, first. Lilliastra looked down at him, and gently nuzzled his face.

Be with me, my suitor,
Be with me, I await.
We were two, will now be one,
Love is now our fate.

Join with me, my lover,
Join with me, my mate.
You’re the one to be my one,
Our love we’ll celebrate.

Yes! Yes! The song of acceptance! Tranyir had waited long for this joyful moment! Her suitor, her lover, climbed to the top of her abdomen, and began to stroke his goddess and kiss her in the instinctive ways known only to the successful suitor, the goddess’ mate!

The other suitors heard Lilliastra’s song, and saw her acceptance of Tranyir. They sadly moved away from their beautiful goal. Though they did not succeed here, the suitors knew there would be other goddess to quest for.

But one suitor kept approaching. Bestran was furious! How dare that puny fool try to take the prize that was rightfully his! Bastran prepared to leap to Lilliastra’s abdomen and kill his enemy, his hated nest brother. Tranyir was stunned! The quest was over; Bestran, by all the traditions of his people must quit and leave!

Lilliastra looked down in annoyance. With one arm, she shoved Bestran away. Bestran was beyond himself with rage. To everyone’s surprise, he struck her arm away, and leapt toward her back. With blinding speed and strength, Lilliastra snatched Bestran from the air, shook him, stabbed him with her dagger of death, tore him in half, and threw the pieces away. Tranyir smiled in grim satisfaction. Born a fool, lived a fool, died a fool, his people will be better off without him. The few suitors still in the area quickly moved away.

Tranyir resumed his stroking and kissing. Lilliastra hummed and trembled with pleasure. They both came to the moment.

You are mine, my lover,
Give me what we need.
Pass the future to our young,
Now’s the time we breed.

Tranyir gently moved to his mate’s most secret and special area. Joining with her he was overwhelmed by waves of pleasure! The future was his to create! Lilliastra would conceive a new generation, his children!

Locked in rapture, Tranyir barely noticed Lilliastra’a sting, as she gently sucked in his vital forces. Wonderful! Not only would he father her nest, but his children would live and grow strong, gaining their vitality from the nourishment of his own body. As his mind grew dim, he thought, Lilliastra would bear his children, but they would be strong and healthy because of his loving sacrifice.

The last thoughts that passed through Tranyir were of pure joy!

Within the meadows of the forest deep,
I wander lost in my blissful sleep,
Through my dreams of times sought,
That elusive date that I never caught,

The unending race with a vague goal,
Rest only found with one's lost soul,
So forever those around I chase,
Never fall to this quickening pace,

There is always beyond another gate,
I would never allow myself to pause,
I can never indulge in this unjust cause,
For that would only draw me further,

Unless it happens that this was fate,
Perhaps this was never meant to be,
Then in my slumber may I see,
Whether this I can leave for later.

I am sorry for flopping the previous WoW. I Hope that my entry can still be accepted.

Yeah, I am back with an another poetry, something I am extremely bad at creating.

You're mine,
You can't resist.
I'll kiss you till you're dry
I'll hug you till you die.

Don't be afraid.
You'll be indulge in me soon.
See, no need to be afraid.
I'll go into your heart.

Be mine,
You are my joy.
Please beg me to kiss you till you're dry.
Please beg me to hug you till you die.

Last edited:

headingy.png

I won't be doing the current judging system for a short time so there won't be any commentary(at least for a while), we will just announce the winner. The task of sorting the entries in order of preference proved to be anything but trivial. All six entries had their own style and approach, each differing from the others, necessitating a careful read to grasp all the nuances. Tastes will always differ and a consensus in what constitutes 'good' writing may only be as widely accepted as the influence of the group of people agreeing on said consensus. Accordingly, mine isn't an assessment devoid of sways and biases. Still, a winner must be chosen; a list of preferred entries I shall write. Even though I'm going to try to put it simple and short.

cremeliner.png

7AQjjr.png

Status
Not open for further replies.