[Discussions] WOW #5 - July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignis

Administrator
Admin
Oct 16, 2010

heading0.png

This is a discussion thread for WOW #5. Here you can ask questions, post comments, and even post your draft work for others to comment on. While you can edit your entry submission post and remake your entry as many times as you please before the deadline, if you think there's still something missing from your story, consider posting it here first if you'd like to ask advice from your fellow entrants.

The theme for WOW #5 is MISANTHROPY.
You DON'T have to actually write a dark or negative story to conform with the theme!

Personally, I find some fun in writing something unexpected and seemingly contrary to, but still conforms with, a certain theme or premise. If you're inclined to write something with a positive feel to it, you can. For example, you can write about someone's struggle for self-determination amidst a society that has marginalised them, or someone who came to be hateful and distrustful due to a bitter past (see an example) but gradually grows to see the beauty in life. Let's see how far your imaginative talents can take you. Best of luck to all participants!

The deadline is on 31 JULY 2016.
You MAY edit your entry submission post as many times as you please before the deadline.

Please submit your entry before the deadline. If you're unsure about certain aspects of your draft entry, feel free to ask around in the discussion thread. You can have only ONE post in the entry submission thread, but you're not restricted from discussing the WoW as much as you want in the discussion thread. The deadline may be extended on our discretion if circumstances necessitate it, but it won't be shortened for no reason, so rest assured and don't rush. Take your time to make a masterpiece!

This thread is only for DISCUSSIONS!
To submit your entry, please go to this thread instead.

Excuse me while I try find some inspiration by hating on you all for a second :fag:

I know a lot about war and "peacekeeping" but I did not expect this theme to come. I'll be off to research some things, e.g. a more elaborate definition of the "Misanthropy" because the definition I know is a bit lacking.

I like this theme a lot!!!
:alice_love:

P.S. How many F word can I use before I get disqualified?

I know a lot about war and "peacekeeping" but I did not expect this theme to come. I'll be off to research some things, e.g. a more elaborate definition of the "Misanthropy" because the definition I know is a bit lacking.
For what it's worth, wars are usually not held up as examples of misanthropy. Of course, they're always orchestrated by and played between powerful entities, but participants of a war tend to have certain goals (territory, resources, politics, etc) and not massacre their adversaries just because they hate human beings. Wars wherein one side is bent on destroying humanity for the sake of destroying humanity only appear in books and games.

The word "misanthropy" as commonly understood wouldn't be applicable in such cases. In real life, we haven't yet come in close contact with a sentient species other than the human race. While some other species like predatory animals and harmful bacteria can pose a threat to human beings, science hasn't been able to find evidence that they do so out of hatred and contempt for us, only that they do so to protect themselves or follow their predatory instincts.

I think you can simplify it as "human beings hating on fellow human beings for the sake of hating", regardless of the cause of the hate.

P.S. How many F word can I use before I get disqualified?
Preferably none? That's the thing―write about misanthropy, but don't project your own hatred of humanity... at least not too much ;)

Reactions: ancer_nyaa
Preferably none? That's the thing―write about misanthropy, but don't project your own hatred of humanity... at least not too much ;)

I was not going to write about how I hate humanity. I was planning to write something that is not biased on my feelings. I thought of a line that relied on a couple of f word. I'll try to lessen it as possible.

[MENTION=127318]srebro[/MENTION]; I think I see the allegorical rhetoric you're trying to make in your entry, but could you perhaps polish it here and there? I'm not opposed to personifying divinity, but when you give the personification a name based on real-life beliefs ("Jesus Christ where are you"), you stray outside the boundaries as it refers to something very specific (not just "a god", but God, the monotheistic God in accordance with existing beliefs). Thanks~

EDIT: Forgot to say, the judging post will probably take a few more days. I didn't manage to finish it during the weekend, and I'm likely going to be occupied for a few days forward starting from today. Apologies.

This is a most challenging topic... and I like a good challenge!

By nature, I am an optimist. I like people, and have faith in humanity. Misanthropy is, of course, a diametrically opposite POV.

I'm currently doing research to get a feel for the topic. We'll see what comes of it.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; I'll polish it up and change/add a few more things to add to the plot and make it more fictional. The topic is hard because my brain's filled with blissful ignorance so I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Take your time with the judging it won't be the end of the world.

Thank you Sensei~ :happywhistle:

By nature, I am an optimist. I like people, and have faith in humanity. Misanthropy is, of course, a diametrically opposite POV.

I'm currently doing research to get a feel for the topic. We'll see what comes of it.
Oh, hey there, rare creature. :P

Looking forward to what you're going to come up with. It's easy to picture a litany of hate borne out of this kind of theme when it is in fact based on the writer's actual misgivings. It'll be more interesting, however, to see an optimist like yourself write about all the bad qualities of human beings.

[MENTION=2]Ignis[/MENTION]; I'll polish it up and change/add a few more things to add to the plot and make it more fictional. The topic is hard because my brain's filled with blissful ignorance so I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Take your time with the judging it won't be the end of the world.

Thank you Sensei~ :happywhistle:
Wow, now that's a considerably more complex allegory than before. I'll have to give it a more thorough reading later. Definitely looks better now, though. The previous version gave me the impression of some sort of American sitcom. :P

Looking forward to what you're going to come up with. It's easy to picture a litany of hate borne out of this kind of theme when it is in fact based on the writer's actual misgivings. It'll be more interesting, however, to see an optimist like yourself write about all the bad qualities of human beings.

Exactly! It would be easy to spew a litany of hate and anger for humanity, but that would be a trap.

From what I've been reading about misanthropes, they really aren't bad people with hate in their hearts. They just seem to focus more on the negative aspects of people in general. To them, the negative outweighs the positive.

Edit:

Eureka! Just this small exchange has given me my story idea!

Now to develop it. :samuraihero:

Last edited:
Kekeke…

Well whenever Sensei or any other reader for that matter wants to know the actual meaning of my story I can tell you.

… Just only until after the month is over, just ask and I will tell it like I intended. :desire:

I do hope my attempts at some dry humor brings laughter to those that read it. Or maybe a slap in the face, I couldn’t care less either way because I’m Misanthrope~

From what I've been reading about misanthropes, they really aren't bad people with hate in their hearts. They just seem to focus more on the negative aspects of people in general. To them, the negative outweighs the positive.

Edit:

Eureka! Just this small exchange has given me my story idea!

Now to develop it. :samuraihero:
Indeed. Misanthropy isn't necessarily sociopathy, the possible medical issues behind the latter notwithstanding.

It's pretty nice that our seemingly trivial conversation gave you an idea. Looking forward to your story!

Kekeke…

Well whenever Sensei or any other reader for that matter wants to know the actual meaning of my story I can tell you.
Sure, you can clear it up if I end up misunderstanding it when it comes the time to appraise it. Otherwise, as I'm a fan of the "death of the author" concept in certain contexts, I'd just leave it to your readers, myself included, to interpret your allegory on our own. /me kills srebro.

Reactions: Leggy
Rats. This theme is made for me. Unfortunately, I don't have time to even write a decent story nowadays.

Rats. This theme is made for me. Unfortunately, I don't have time to even write a decent story nowadays.
Go with a poem, perhaps? I know different styles cater to different people, and while poems aren't exactly much easier to do, I personally find that they take considerably less time to write and polish than short stories (even with the word limit of 1000 or 1500 characters). It'd take even less time if you go for a free verse instead of a rhymed/metered poem―or use the help of rhyme dictionaries to make the latter. :P

My short exchanges with Ignis helped me clarify the direction I wanted my entry to take. Definitely not hate speech.

Reading some of the writings of respected misantropes like Bill Hicks, Samuel Johnson, André Malraux, Molière, and others, shows them to be clear headed thinkers, with well thought out views, who just happen to have very low opinions about humanity in general.

Hence, my protagonist, Sensei Ro.

Hope you enjoy the story! I may be biased, but I think it's a good one! :)

My short exchanges with Ignis helped me clarify the direction I wanted my entry to take. Definitely not hate speech.

Reading some of the writings of respected misantropes like Bill Hicks, Samuel Johnson, André Malraux, Molière, and others, shows them to be clear headed thinkers, with well thought out views, who just happen to have very low opinions about humanity in general.

Hence, my protagonist, Sensei Ro.

Hope you enjoy the story! I may be biased, but I think it's a good one! :)
I have the same feeling. One of the philosophers I consider highly interesting is Nietzsche. He was nothing but controversial, sure, and I don't necessarily agree with all his views, but (his views on religion aside) he was questioning the very foundations of values and morality. Some have considered him a misanthrope for that, but the very fact that he's been considered a misanthrope drives home the purpose of questioning values and morality.

As someone who often rants about the status quo and―pardon the homage―rages against the machine, such views are, to say the least, interesting to me.

I like your entry and the shaolin-esque (not really sure how to describe this in simple words) philosophical touch to it. Very well done :)

Thanks Ignis!

This was a fun challenge. As you probably noticed, my main problem was finding the proper way to deal with the subject. I finally found a way to rationalize it.

Given, a half glass of water. An optimist will say the glass is half full. A pessimist will say the glass is half empty.

A misanthrope will say, "Who the hell drank my water?" ;)

Given, a half glass of water. An optimist will say the glass is half full. A pessimist will say the glass is half empty.

A misanthrope will say, "Who the hell drank my water?" ;)
I'd think something along the lines of "See? I knew I should've never left that glass unattended." instead, but the essence is the same. Nice way to put it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.