Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: WOW #5 - July 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 964 Posts
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

WOW #5 - July 2016

This is a discussion thread for WOW #5. Here you can ask questions, post comments, and even post your draft work for others to comment on. While you can edit your entry submission post and remake your entry as many times as you please before the deadline, if you think there's still something missing from your story, consider posting it here first if you'd like to ask advice from your fellow entrants.

The theme for WOW #5 is MISANTHROPY.
    You DON'T have to actually write a dark or negative story to conform with the theme!

Personally, I find some fun in writing something unexpected and seemingly contrary to, but still conforms with, a certain theme or premise. If you're inclined to write something with a positive feel to it, you can. For example, you can write about someone's struggle for self-determination amidst a society that has marginalised them, or someone who came to be hateful and distrustful due to a bitter past (see an example) but gradually grows to see the beauty in life. Let's see how far your imaginative talents can take you. Best of luck to all participants!

The deadline is on 31 JULY 2016.
    You MAY edit your entry submission post as many times as you please before the deadline.

Please submit your entry before the deadline. If you're unsure about certain aspects of your draft entry, feel free to ask around in the discussion thread. You can have only ONE post in the entry submission thread, but you're not restricted from discussing the WoW as much as you want in the discussion thread. The deadline may be extended on our discretion if circumstances necessitate it, but it won't be shortened for no reason, so rest assured and don't rush. Take your time to make a masterpiece!

This thread is only for DISCUSSIONS!
    To submit your entry, please go to this thread instead.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

srebro

Re: WOW #5 - July 2016

Excuse me while I try find some inspiration by hating on you all for a second
    Ignis likes this.

If Only I Had A Life ancer_nyaa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #1 ParticipantWOW #2 ParticipantWOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #6 ParticipantWOW #7 Participant

I know a lot about war and "peacekeeping" but I did not expect this theme to come. I'll be off to research some things, e.g. a more elaborate definition of the "Misanthropy" because the definition I know is a bit lacking.

I like this theme a lot!!!

P.S. How many F word can I use before I get disqualified?

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ancer_nyaa View Post
    I know a lot about war and "peacekeeping" but I did not expect this theme to come. I'll be off to research some things, e.g. a more elaborate definition of the "Misanthropy" because the definition I know is a bit lacking.
    For what it's worth, wars are usually not held up as examples of misanthropy. Of course, they're always orchestrated by and played between powerful entities, but participants of a war tend to have certain goals (territory, resources, politics, etc) and not massacre their adversaries just because they hate human beings. Wars wherein one side is bent on destroying humanity for the sake of destroying humanity only appear in books and games.

The word "misanthropy" as commonly understood wouldn't be applicable in such cases. In real life, we haven't yet come in close contact with a sentient species other than the human race. While some other species like predatory animals and harmful bacteria can pose a threat to human beings, science hasn't been able to find evidence that they do so out of hatred and contempt for us, only that they do so to protect themselves or follow their predatory instincts.

I think you can simplify it as "human beings hating on fellow human beings for the sake of hating", regardless of the cause of the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ancer_nyaa View Post
    P.S. How many F word can I use before I get disqualified?
    Preferably none? That's the thing―write about misanthropy, but don't project your own hatred of humanity... at least not too much
    ancer_nyaa likes this.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.
      Spoiler: Stats 

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

If Only I Had A Life ancer_nyaa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #1 ParticipantWOW #2 ParticipantWOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #6 ParticipantWOW #7 Participant

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Preferably none? That's the thing―write about misanthropy, but don't project your own hatred of humanity... at least not too much
    I was not going to write about how I hate humanity. I was planning to write something that is not biased on my feelings. I thought of a line that relied on a couple of f word. I'll try to lessen it as possible.

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

@srebro; I think I see the allegorical rhetoric you're trying to make in your entry, but could you perhaps polish it here and there? I'm not opposed to personifying divinity, but when you give the personification a name based on real-life beliefs ("Jesus Christ where are you"), you stray outside the boundaries as it refers to something very specific (not just "a god", but God, the monotheistic God in accordance with existing beliefs). Thanks~

EDIT: Forgot to say, the judging post will probably take a few more days. I didn't manage to finish it during the weekend, and I'm likely going to be occupied for a few days forward starting from today. Apologies.

Rules | XDCC tutorial | Site Support (not for download problems) | Signature Contest | IRC
    I do not take reupload requests. For ASL releases with dead links/torrents, please try XDCC.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 938 Posts
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

This is a most challenging topic... and I like a good challenge!

By nature, I am an optimist. I like people, and have faith in humanity. Misanthropy is, of course, a diametrically opposite POV.

I'm currently doing research to get a feel for the topic. We'll see what comes of it.
    Ignore This Signature

srebro

@Ignis; I'll polish it up and change/add a few more things to add to the plot and make it more fictional. The topic is hard because my brain's filled with blissful ignorance so I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Take your time with the judging it won't be the end of the world.

Thank you Sensei~

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    By nature, I am an optimist. I like people, and have faith in humanity. Misanthropy is, of course, a diametrically opposite POV.

I'm currently doing research to get a feel for the topic. We'll see what comes of it.
    Oh, hey there, rare creature.

Looking forward to what you're going to come up with. It's easy to picture a litany of hate borne out of this kind of theme when it is in fact based on the writer's actual misgivings. It'll be more interesting, however, to see an optimist like yourself write about all the bad qualities of human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by srebro View Post
    @Ignis; I'll polish it up and change/add a few more things to add to the plot and make it more fictional. The topic is hard because my brain's filled with blissful ignorance so I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Take your time with the judging it won't be the end of the world.

Thank you Sensei~
    Wow, now that's a considerably more complex allegory than before. I'll have to give it a more thorough reading later. Definitely looks better now, though. The previous version gave me the impression of some sort of American sitcom.
    Leggy likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 938 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Looking forward to what you're going to come up with. It's easy to picture a litany of hate borne out of this kind of theme when it is in fact based on the writer's actual misgivings. It'll be more interesting, however, to see an optimist like yourself write about all the bad qualities of human beings.
    Exactly! It would be easy to spew a litany of hate and anger for humanity, but that would be a trap.

From what I've been reading about misanthropes, they really aren't bad people with hate in their hearts. They just seem to focus more on the negative aspects of people in general. To them, the negative outweighs the positive.

Edit:

Eureka! Just this small exchange has given me my story idea!

Now to develop it.
    Last edited by Leggy; July 5th, 2016 at 05:29 PM.
    Ignore This Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information