View Poll Results: What should we have for the next round(s) of WOW?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Normal: host (Ignis) decides on a theme and participants write accordingly

    6 85.71%
  • English assignment: host writes a premise in a short paragraph and participants build thereupon

    0 0%
  • No theme: participants can write about whatever as long as it's fiction

    1 14.29%
  • Something else: please specify in the thread

    0 0%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: WOW #4 - June 2016

  1. #71
    srebro
    Guest

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    @Ignis;

    One only makes girly references if they are a girl.

    Like all other people, the winking was a bribe to make you agree with my suggestions.

    My suggestion was an earnest idea worded in a way to miscontrue. It referred to other participants not just yourself.

    Like all suggestions they aren't made to be set in stone.

    In terms of stalking you I just read your profile, assumed you were a boy and played games with your mind.
    I have no interest in being a stalker although playing mind games, yes I don't mind.

    But I guess I see your point, jokes get old so I will stop.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
     

  3. #72
    Ignis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Misericordia
    Posts
    4,401
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 948 Posts
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by srebro View Post
    One only makes girly references if they are a girl.

    [...]

    In terms of stalking you I just read your profile, assumed you were a boy and played games with your mind.
    I have no interest in being a stalker although playing mind games, yes I don't mind.

    But I guess I see your point, jokes get old so I will stop.
    Are you saying that you're a girl, then? If so, good―if not, that's also equally good

    I'm a man. There's a whole world of difference between the two. Anyway, in case there was any confusion, I didn't mind the jokes. I was just curious as to where you came from as it felt like you were making references, winking and nudging and hinting at something, something I wasn't sure what. That's all.

    For your suggestion, it's not a bad one at all. As I stated, I can see how it could help people improve (and probably also get themselves to know each other better in the process, that sort of thing?), just like how blogging can help (and, from what I've read, has helped many) improve writing and communication skills. If someone (you?) decides to start something like that with relation to the WOW, I may join in; I just won't count on myself to start it. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

  4. #73
    srebro
    Guest

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Are you saying that you're a girl, then? If so, good―if not, that's also equally good
    Am I? Did I forget to mention I'm a devious Joker who likes to speak in riddles?

    Like most authors who go by secret pen names we can leave it to the reader to decide who the author is or what gender they are, it makes the reader less pretentious that way.

    Theoretically I think my suggestion is actually a bad idea. Let's say I proposed that everyone try invoke a childhood memory by climbing a tree. Who knows how tall the tree may be or if the branch will break. Not to mention they might be an incompetent climber and get detained for being a public nuisance

    Besides my point I don't see myself taking any initiative right now, I was actually relying on someone else to do my bidding. I'm actually tired of making suggestions for now zzz...

    In terms of where I came from, I actually got bored spamming in other threads before I stumbled upon this thread. I was just contributing a writing piece because it seemed sad this competition would disappear. After a while I thought I'd be a little mischievous and try influence you into giving me one of those shiny diamonds.

    Anyway, things are to be expected when you word things into silly sentences to test a grown man's patience. So I must apologise because I caused the misunderstandings to come about in the first place.

    In reality you will never get me to apologise so easily, so now we're even.

  5. #74
    Ignis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Misericordia
    Posts
    4,401
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 948 Posts
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by srebro View Post
    Am I? Did I forget to mention I'm a devious Joker who likes to speak in riddles?

    Like most authors who go by secret pen names we can leave it to the reader to decide who the author is or what gender they are, it makes the reader less pretentious that way.

    Theoretically I think my suggestion is actually a bad idea. Let's say I proposed that everyone try invoke a childhood memory by climbing a tree. Who knows how tall the tree may be or if the branch will break. Not to mention they might be an incompetent climber and get detained for being a public nuisance

    [...]

    Anyway, things are to be expected when you word things into silly sentences to test a grown man's patience. So I must apologise because I caused the misunderstandings to come about in the first place.

    In reality you will never get me to apologise so easily, so now we're even.
    That could be a selling point; though, much like how pedantry rarely helps make friends, phrasing words in a convoluted manner on purpose isn't something I'd recommend in everyday interactions. Unless, of course, you happen to make a living as a speech writer or a corporate fast-talker.

    The problem with having people invoke their memories relating to certain subjects is that we don't know what kind of memories they have on a given subject. Taken to the extreme, your example of tree-climbing activities could've been a traumatic experience for someone in the past. Even without that, everyone has bad days every now and then, on which it's probably better for them not to write about how their day was, as it could easily devolve into something more resembling or a blog or social media post.

    That's what I meant by my "blogging has been around for millennia" comment earlier.

    Anyway, don't worry about that. Miscommunications are quite common, especially on the Internet where people are reduced into text and emoticons. As long as they're actually miscommunications, all is well. (If they were deliberately orchestrated, though, you probably picked a wrong target. )

  6. #75
    srebro
    Guest

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    phrasing words in a convoluted manner on purpose isn't something I'd recommend in everyday interactions. Unless, of course, you happen to make a living as a speech writer or a corporate fast-talker.
    What!! How'd you know my secret to success?!

    Anyway for me, I don't really need a predefined list to know a friend from a foe, much like how I don't use flattery in forming relationships.

    Aside from my random flattery in spam.

    In reality I am already a social butterfly of the corporate world. I have no lack of pompous soirees in this world that I actually prefer being alone sometimes. It's quiet refreshing speaking with you as you are (sometimes), because it's like I'm reading a dictionary. There's just truth and openness for interpretation. But then again don't let my corporate debauchery and hypocrisy fool you.

    For some reason all this feels like Deja Vu... anyway thanks for your clarification on your point of view.

    I'll give you credit for you advice though because one of the old ladies in my office likes my poetry, I won't deny it was a pleasant feeling to witness happiness on another person's face when they read my writing. I no longer have a desire or fascination for that diamond as I have a better reward than a piece of rock.

  7. #76
    Ignis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Misericordia
    Posts
    4,401
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 948 Posts
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by srebro View Post
    What!! How'd you know my secret to success?!
    You know the old saying―it takes one to know one.

    On a more serious note, though: no, I didn't actually expect that before. But, for better or worse, I can't say I'm not familiar with it. And I can't count how many times it's been that someone rants about how this and that customer service representative was being annoying, then I tell them something along the lines of "Mate, you were dealing with a robot. A person, sure, but one whose personhood outside following scripts involves only choosing the best words for the particular customer they're dealing with."

    Buuuut real-life rants aside.

    ...What were we on about again?

  8. #77
    srebro
    Guest

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    On a more serious note, though: no, I didn't actually expect that before. But, for better or worse, I can't say I'm not familiar with it.

    ...

    Buuuut real-life rants aside.

    ...What were we on about again?
    Maybe you should've focused on the positive words only. Perhaps then you would've seen it was actually a compliment to you and not a poignant question or a question at all.

    If words were like musical notes played on a piano, you can listen to the higher keys alone because they sound nicer. When you include the lower keys you find they complement each other and builds on the true message in the melody.

    I won't change the way I word things because they sound harsh, when I'm being seriously harsh you'll instantly know because the only words I'll use are curse words. I can only be honest when I'm being serious.

    When someone else actually has another suggestion for this thread I think that would be more relevant to your question.

  9. #78
    Ignis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Misericordia
    Posts
    4,401
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 948 Posts
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Points: 75,553, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by srebro View Post
    Maybe you should've focused on the positive words only. Perhaps then you would've seen it was actually a compliment to you and not a poignant question or a question at all.

    If words were like musical notes played on a piano, you can listen to the higher keys alone because they sound nicer. When you include the lower keys you find they complement each other and builds on the true message in the melody.

    I won't change the way I word things because they sound harsh, when I'm being seriously harsh you'll instantly know because the only words I'll use are curse words. I can only be honest when I'm being serious.

    When someone else actually has another suggestion for this thread I think that would be more relevant to your question.
    Oh, I did get you the first time around.

    Can't say I see what made you try to say what you're trying to say in this post, though. If you misunderstood something, and I suspect the following is the culprit, then I'll clarify that by "I didn't expect that before" I mean "I didn't consider the possibilities of you being an actual "social butterfly in the corporate world". Not exactly my intention, but if you did misunderstand something, that probably drove home my point that going in circles isn't particularly the best method of communication.

    Otherwise, I don't know why you made it sound like I even touched at all the subject of wording things in a "harsh" way. My reply can thus be summarised as "u wot, m8?" There, I used an emoticon. Let it not be said that I sought to argue or criticise or do anything at all that warranted a seemingly defensive response.

    On a more important note, this is digressing way beyond the point of keeping the thread open in the first place―to watch out for votes and additional input―and the context of the contest itself. Why don't we move to the new thread?

  10. #79
    srebro
    Guest

    Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

    If you mean what you said then that's fine and if it's pointless then it doesn't matter.

    I've duly noted to spam in spam sections only to keep things relevant in the best interest of everyone.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [Entries] WOW #4 - June 2016
    By |♚|KK|♚| in forum Writing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 24th, 2016, 12:16 PM
  2. [Discussions] WOW #3 - May 2016
    By Ignis in forum Writing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM
  3. [Entries] WOW #3 - May 2016
    By Ignis in forum Writing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2016, 12:54 PM
  4. [Discussions] WOW #2 - April 2016
    By Ignis in forum Writing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: May 8th, 2016, 04:53 PM
  5. [Entries] WOW #2 - April 2016
    By Ignis in forum Writing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 8th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •