View Poll Results: What should we have for the next round(s) of WOW?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Normal: host (Ignis) decides on a theme and participants write accordingly

6 85.71%
  • English assignment: host writes a premise in a short paragraph and participants build thereupon

0 0%
  • No theme: participants can write about whatever as long as it's fiction

1 14.29%
  • Something else: please specify in the thread

0 0%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: WOW #4 - June 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,294 Posts
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveYour first GroupCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    SOTM #34 WinnerSOTM #36 WinnerSOTM #38 WinnerSOTM #39 Winner

Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

Wow 2 entries from the start! I'm glad I choosed this theme. Both entries are lovely and I liked reading them, it's going to be a hard decision choosing the winner~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to |♚|KK|♚| For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

just wondering, is course language allowed?

I've written one but it has a few coarse words inside and also the consumption of a little alcohol.

wanted to ask before I posted it to see if it's okay.
    Ignore This Signature

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pandachuu19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 946 Posts
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pandachuu19 View Post
    just wondering, is course language allowed?

I've written one but it has a few coarse words inside and also the consumption of a little alcohol.

wanted to ask before I posted it to see if it's okay.
    I think it's okay if it's within reason and in a proper context. Like, for example, an event critical to the story features A drinking alcohol and then lashing out at person B with profanity and such in a drunken rage. Though, if person A is the kind that just inserts profanity everywhere between their words, probably nope. It'll be up to @|♚| KK |♚|; to determine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 889 Posts
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

Well, that was a fair bit of work!

The Legend of the Two Chairs is a fantasy story about the power of friendship.

As is my habit, I write something, let it sit for a time, and come back to it.

One problem I had was size. The original story was around 2000 words, that I could have easily doubled. However, the rules say max size is 1500.

It did give me a chance to streamline parts, and tighten my ideas, but some major cuts still had to be made. I finally got it to 1500 words exactly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hope you like it!
    Gamerguy and Ignis like this.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    Well, that was a fair bit of work!

The Legend of the Two Chairs is a fantasy story about the power of friendship.

As is my habit, I write something, let it sit for a time, and come back to it.

One problem I had was size. The original story was around 2000 words, that I could have easily doubled. However, the rules say max size is 1500.

It did give me a chance to streamline parts, and tighten my ideas, but some major cuts still had to be made. I finally got it to 1500 words exactly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hope you like it!
    Awesome entry! It was pleasant to read. Most short stories, not excluding ones I've written myself, tend to focus on characters and build plots around them. Yours makes use of this certain style that from the outset defines the focus of the story, but then goes around and around, putting pieces that slowly form a cascade of events. In this case, the pieces aren't necessary part of a puzzle, but they line up together in an orderly manner nonetheless.

I guess I can see why this kind of writing style isn't very common in short stories; it's pretty much the recipe for a legend or a fairytale or any other "they say..." kind of story. I don't know if it was the generous use of line breaks, but I could feel the length in your story (not necessarily in a negative way―1500 words are nothing anyway, comparatively speaking).

I don't have any useful advice to offer at the moment, but I'd say you did well in streamlining your story and shortening parts of it. It has a nice integrity and didn't feel like something was excluded from it. Well done
    Leggy likes this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 889 Posts
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

@ancer_nyaa; Nice slice of life story!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Awesome entry! It was pleasant to read. Most short stories, not excluding ones I've written myself, tend to focus on characters and build plots around them. Yours makes use of this certain style that from the outset defines the focus of the story, but then goes around and around, putting pieces that slowly form a cascade of events. In this case, the pieces aren't necessary part of a puzzle, but they line up together in an orderly manner nonetheless.

I guess I can see why this kind of writing style isn't very common in short stories; it's pretty much the recipe for a legend or a fairytale or any other "they say..." kind of story. I don't know if it was the generous use of line breaks, but I could feel the length in your story (not necessarily in a negative way―1500 words are nothing anyway, comparatively speaking).
    Thanks! Yes, the vignettes are not a puzzle, but an orderly procession to the finale.

You're comment on feeling the length in the story is spot on. After I finished, I realized I have the nucleus for a much longer story, possibly even a novel, based around several vignettes. The last two lines leave the door open for more to come.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    Thanks! Yes, the vignettes are not a puzzle, but an orderly procession to the finale.

You're comment on feeling the length in the story is spot on. After I finished, I realized I have the nucleus for a much longer story, possibly even a novel, based around several vignettes. The last two lines leave the door open for more to come.
    Ah, yes, vignettes. I hadn't thought of that word when I tried describing my view of your story and its structure.

Yes, while your story may seem complete here, it's only "complete" in the sense of a legend, not a fairytale where the villains die and the Good Guys™ live happily ever after. There remain events to be interpreted by the reader or expanded upon by the writer. In a larger story, the entirety of your entry here may serve only to provide but a background story, like how so many stories start with character A reading to character B a legend/fairytale/ancient tale of sorts as character B's bedtime story.
    Leggy likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

There's a little bump in this month's ride―KK just informed me that due to personal reasons she'll be on hiatus for a while. She asked me to "freeze" the writing contest, but I'd like some input beforehand. So, a simple yet pointed question: should the WOW keep going?

I have no problem at all keeping it going. I can overtake KK's role and run the contest. It's something we started together and I can assure you I'm fully in touch with all its intricacies. However, I also acknowledge that writing (especially with restrictions like themes and word limits) isn't exactly easy nor for everyone. While I'll keep to my word and keep this sweet small competition going if that's what people would like, it'll also be pretty sad if we get no entries (not saying that's ever happened; just an if).

I've added a poll to the thread. If this matters to you, please cast a vote and/or give some input. While we're at it, if you'd like to keep it going but there are things you'd like changed, like the rules or word limits or theme ideas whatever, please do speak up. I welcome any input.

Some mentions... @Leggy; @ancer_nyaa; @8Laelia8; @Gamerguy; @samyeung46; @Velenora; @JaxxBlaxx; @Frankincense; @Rain Summerfields; @pingtoryan; @Holler; @aienma;

Thanks
    Thanked 2,530 Times in 2,205 Posts
    Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassYour first Group
    Awards:
    WOW #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 Participant

Hmm... I would suggest lowering the min line count to 3 since people cant write traditional Haiku otherwise..~ Not sure if there are any forms of poetry which use less...
    Ignore This Signature

~Do you have a wish?~

To the many friends that have come and gone...
    We shall miss you..~ Do drop by if you find yourself nearby..~

Made by an odd neko~
      Spoiler: Test your video editing skills or try a random game~ 

Thanks
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Eh. I haven't been checking the writing competition though. How many entries have we been having per month? If we have at least 6 or 7 entries every month then I say we keep it. I like having it around even if I can't participate in the near future.

BTW, about the poll, I think there's no need to take people who answer no into account. People who don't participate won't lose anything by the competition existing.

No problem about restrictions.
    Ignore This Signature

Currently playing:
    VNs -
    Other games -

Random Retro Game Stream

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information