View Poll Results: What should we have for the next round(s) of WOW?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Normal: host (Ignis) decides on a theme and participants write accordingly

6 85.71%
  • English assignment: host writes a premise in a short paragraph and participants build thereupon

0 0%
  • No theme: participants can write about whatever as long as it's fiction

1 14.29%
  • Something else: please specify in the thread

0 0%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: WOW #4 - June 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 893 Posts
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

Re: WOW #4 - June 2016

Oh my! While sitting back, relaxing, I've had an intriguing idea for a friendship themed story!

It will take time to develop, but it's an interesting concept. Let's see what I can do with it.

|♚|KK|♚| likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    WOW #3 Winner

It's certainly a heart warming theme :3 not sure it's one I can participate in though since I've only really witnessed friendship and never truly obtained it myself T_T and I definitely don't wanna go off on one all dark and moody about not having a true friend cos that would just depress everyone xD Watching anime makes me sad when I see how close a lot of characters are, I just wish that that could be my life haha.

PS. Really surprised and grateful to have won the previous WOW so thank you very much for that! After reading the other entries I certainly didn't expect to go far, I personally thought others were way better than mine, but then I guess all that sorta stuff is down to opinion in the end. I would suck at judging anything... way too hard and I'd never be able to come to a decision!!
    Leggy likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

http://www.quotev.com/story/8442735/...rdian-x-Reader
    Yandere x Reader text adventure/future otome W.I.P. <3

Thanks
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    WOW #4 Winner

To tell the truth i never experienced frienship that much either but for me that's makes this even more exciting i mean without knowing how it is i can let my fantasy go and come up with somekind of story about friendships
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 948 Posts
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    Oh my! While sitting back, relaxing, I've had an intriguing idea for a friendship themed story!

It will take time to develop, but it's an interesting concept. Let's see what I can do with it.

Good to hear. Looking forward to your entry!

I kinda have one too, just not sure if I should carry on. Looking back, I kinda felt like I was a party pooper for writing stories with a dark slant despite the positive themes two times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerguy View Post
    To tell the truth i never experienced frienship that much either but for me that's makes this even more exciting i mean without knowing how it is i can let my fantasy go and come up with somekind of story about friendships
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Laelia8 View Post
    It's certainly a heart warming theme :3 not sure it's one I can participate in though since I've only really witnessed friendship and never truly obtained it myself T_T and I definitely don't wanna go off on one all dark and moody about not having a true friend cos that would just depress everyone xD Watching anime makes me sad when I see how close a lot of characters are, I just wish that that could be my life haha.

PS. Really surprised and grateful to have won the previous WOW so thank you very much for that! After reading the other entries I certainly didn't expect to go far, I personally thought others were way better than mine, but then I guess all that sorta stuff is down to opinion in the end. I would suck at judging anything... way too hard and I'd never be able to come to a decision!!
    It doesn't have to be based on what you've had first-hand experience with, really (of course, I'm saying this as someone who likes fantasy stuff, so). How about something like the ideal friendship in your mind? The kind of friendship that you don't think you've ever truly obtained but is what you think how "friendship" should be defined? I think that'd make for a great plot, too. Just like what Gamerguy said.

With regards to the previous WOW, you're too modest Though yes, judging isn't easy either (and I'm actually glad KK is writing short posts for it instead of the TL;DR stuff I started the contest with). We were weighing our options between judging and having open votes... though in the end we still can't decide on the latter because we're afraid each entry may not get much attention due to writings naturally requiring more time to appraise properly.
    Leggy likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    WOW #3 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #4 ParticipantWOW #5 ParticipantWOW #6 WinnerWOW #7 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    Good to hear. Looking forward to your entry!

I kinda have one too, just not sure if I should carry on. Looking back, I kinda felt like I was a party pooper for writing stories with a dark slant despite the positive themes two times in a row.
    Thanks!

That's fine, actually. Exploring both the light and the dark sides of a concept is that writers do.

Two examples of this come from the writings of master novelist Steven R. Donaldson.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a very dark series, even though the ultimate message is one of hope.

On the other hand, the Mordant's Need series is overall upbeat, showcasing the inner growth and ultimate triumph of the protagonist, even though it gets quite dark at times.

So I say go for it, Ignis. I'm sure you're interpretation of the theme will be an interesting read, like you're last one!
    Ignis likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassOverdriveRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    WOW #2 ParticipantSOTM #1 WinnerWOW #3 ParticipantSOTM #40 WinnerSOTM #51 Winner

Thanks!

That's fine, actually. Exploring both the light and the dark sides of a concept is that writers do.

Two examples of this come from the writings of master novelist Steven R. Donaldson.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a very dark series, even though the ultimate message is one of hope.

On the other hand, the Mordant's Need series is overall upbeat, showcasing the inner growth and ultimate triumph of the protagonist, even though it gets quite dark at times.

So I say go for it, Ignis. I'm sure you're interpretation of the theme will be an interesting read, like you're last one!
    Well said! Donaldson is sure a good example. I didn't really look at it that way when I wrote my entries, but it sure is an interesting angle: how would a person who normally is shunned by society (or, for that matter, themselves shuns society) see high values such as blessing, hope, friendship and the like in their pessimistic worldview?

Whether said person is inherently and wilfully pessimistic or is a 'victim' of society had done to them could perhaps both make for an interesting theme―the former resulting in constant antagonism and the latter possibly in their 'search' for what makes values valuable, what makes norms normal, what makes mores moral.

...If that makes sense, anyway. I probably went a bit off track in rambling there. Still, what you said is encouraging and sure enough made me think, so thanks!
    Leggy likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

@Gamerguy; A interesting story! Sacrifice is a classic take on the theme!
    Gamerguy likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Leggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    WOW #4 Winner

@Gamerguy; A interesting story! Sacrifice is a classic take on the theme!
    Oh thank you for giving a read to my story
    Well call me a bit childish or a big dreamer but i always imagined real friendships to be like in my story
    Leggy and Ignis like this.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerguy View Post
    Oh thank you for giving a read to my story
    Well call me a bit childish or a big dreamer but i always imagined real friendships to be like in my story
    I find nothing childish in your story; as Leggy said, sacrifice is always a classic for this kind of theme. Whether a story with such a premise ends up becoming another tired and overdone trope or a bittersweet encouraging tale depends entirely on how it's conveyed, but here, I'd say you managed to nail the latter. Is it intentional that you didn't use double quotation marks (" ") for dialogues, though? In any case, it's a nice story―thanks for participating!

@ancer_nyaa; Thanks for taking part again! This part also made me chuckle:
    I don’t blame him for not going after me since I tackled him harder than an american football player.
    It'll be up to KK to judge how much an entry fits with the theme, but to me, I personally find it a nice twist. A girl who after a failed confession (or, more accurately, what she one-sidedly perceived as a failed confession before she even actually confessed) explored the possibility of being the "significant other" of her best friend instead (also a girl) is just, well, nothing less than perfect. But that's just a matter of personal tastes, of course.
    Gamerguy, ancer_nyaa and Leggy like this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    WOW #4 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
    I find nothing childish in your story; as Leggy said, sacrifice is always a classic for this kind of theme. Whether a story with such a premise ends up becoming another tired and overdone trope or a bittersweet encouraging tale depends entirely on how it's conveyed, but here, I'd say you managed to nail the latter. Is it intentional that you didn't use double quotation marks (" ") for dialogues, though? In any case, it's a nice story―thanks for participating!
    Oh well to be honest i not wanted it to end up as a depressing story of self sacrifice so i'm glad to hear it not ended up as one
    Well about double quotation marks i would say that it's my own lack of knowledge about writing that resulted in me not using them. i should pay more attention to things like that. Thank you for the heads up
    Ignis likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information