Wireless network issue please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naruto001

Dec 4, 2011
Wireless network issue please help?
I'm a complete noob at all this networking stuff so I will try my best to explain,Ok so I'm living in a sleep-out roughly 25 meters away from the main house where the wireless router is located and stationed which is connected to my parents desktop.Here in my sleepout I only get about 1-2 bars of wifi which usually cuts out and then resulting in me not having any internet at all ,ticks me off when I'm trying to download something and then it cut out all of a sudden(waste of bandwidth),anyway you might say get a long etherent cable out there which 1. is quite hard since you cant bury it in soil when its a concrete tiled courtyard to my sleepout and is a bit risky being exposed dangling in the air or prone to rain and that.and 2.I want to connect more than my laptop like my ipod touch and xbox 360 with inbuilt wifi to the internet at once,I don't want to folk out for a wireless range extender as I've heard they aren't the best and a kind of costly seen as I'm paying for everything and I'm just a teenager haha,also none of that poor mans wifi bullshit like making tin can satillites and what not.sooo I have resorted into a cheaper solution like purchasing another wireless router which only has to be pugged into power not a phoneline aswell.WHAT I"M REALLY WANTING TO KNOW IS HOW I WOULD SET THIS UP AND DOES IT REQUIRE THAT BOTH THE WIRELESS ROUTER IN THE MAIN HOUSE BE CONNECTED TO THE ONE I MIGHT PURCHASE TO GET WIFI IN MY ROOM? like do they have to be connected by a freaking long expensive Ethernet cable to be able to set this up please help I'm begging sorry I'm just really tired of not having internet in my room as my dad just says to me it's my problem and that I have to figure it out on my own.THANK YOU IN ADVANCE I REALLY WANT WIFI IN MY SLEEPOUT :(

I don't know what having 2 wireless router is going to do to improve your reception...they are merely hub point for hosting signals. Even if you get another one it still has to be connected to your parents' computer (the host) and you get the same connection.
If you are trying to connect from outside the home where the router is located then you are naturally going to get a weak signal because the walls interfere the signal reception.

If you don't want to get a repeater because they are pricey and don't want to use the internet in the main home then you'll need to try for non-technical solutions and hope for best, like making sure the router isn't placed close to a wall or any electronics that might cause interference (radio, phones, etc.).

But yeah, as far as I know you'll need to fork out more money if you want the luxury of having full bars outside the host building (repeater, better ISP, your own connection, etc.), much more if you want to connect several devices at once. Maybe someone with more techie background can come up with an out of ordinary solution tho.

Options, sorted by ease and effectiveness:
  1. Get a Pringles can, build a directional antenna out of it, be content in the knowledge that it works better and more reliable than most antennae sold in stores.
  2. Get a repeater.
  3. Check out if the electrical wiring allows you to use DLAN.
  4. Get routers which can act as a repeater (usually more expensive than a normal repeater).
  5. Connect the routers via LAN cables.

My recommendation is to change your pre-conceived conceptions about things, as you excluded the two best options and the third-best might not work. Seriously, the homebrew antennae are better than the store-bought ones here, especially since the ranges they reach are outside of the legal area. :whistle:

The most efficient solution would be getting repeaters of some sort to boost the signal. But efficient != cheap...

do they have to be connected by a freaking long expensive Ethernet cable to be able to set this up

Ethernet cable is very cheap http://www.monoprice.com

Buying wifi with repeater fuction will break you bank, but you can make do with 3rd party firmware - if you can find those router that do 3rd party frimware at all. Also, it is not guaranteed with wifi repeater at all

Ethernet cable is very cheap http://www.monoprice.com

Buying wifi with repeater fuction will break you bank, but you can make do with 3rd party firmware - if you can find those router that do 3rd party frimware at all. Also, it is not guaranteed with wifi repeater at all

hey thanks for all the great replies um I don't really know what everyone means about buying a repeater????
I found out the two routers don't have to be connected by Ethernet cable.I actually posted this same post on a few other anime forums to get fast replies hehe.I found that the current wireless router which turns out to be a hybrid because it's a wireless router/modem in one.That is connected to my parents desktop computer which can't be shifted anyhow moving on I found when logging into the router ie: putting my ip address into the google URL address bar I found that it can be set up as a base station receiver hence being connected to a stationed computer makes sense.... then I ended up just buying a stand alone wireless router this morning off of a website for about $44.00 +$10.00 shipping fees all up $54.00 it said it can be used as a wireless range extender and should hopefully from what it seems support repeater mode as well.I think that I is a good price to pay because those repeater things I think if we're talking about the same thing I think it is cost a good couple of hundred here....It's a bit of a gamble if it doesn't work as I can't take back and I don't know if it has warranty not to much money to waste as my dad ended up paying for half of the cost anyway I will be sure to post in a couple of days saying if it worked or not just can't wait till it gets here uhhhhhh.......3 days!!!!!!! anyway cheers for all the help and support sorry for being quite rage In the first post was having a bad day lol :)

then I ended up just buying a stand alone wireless router this morning off of a website for about $44.00 +$10.00 shipping fees all up $54.00 it said it can be used as a wireless range extender and should hopefully from what it seems support repeater mode as well.I think that I is a good price to pay because those repeater things I think if we're talking about the same thing I think it is cost a good couple of hundred here....
Those are some messed up prices - a simple repeater here costs 20€ and a router with repeater function 40€ - meaning repeaters are only half the price. :eek:

Wow. Just wow. :eek:
Remember me not to shop for wireless components where you live. :neardead:

By the way, why an outdoor bridge instead of something like a TP-Link TL-WA730RE Repeater?

Frankly, I'd buy a small switch and some outdoor-grade CAT-6 cable. Weather won't bother the cable much, if you think about it. Your cable TV, phone and electrical lines come in from the outside. If the cable is designed for outdoor use, it should be fine. Use the switch for the multiple connections in the room. Wireless speed is significantly slower than wired, unless your WAN speed is really bad, and you will never have connection dropping issues unless the cable is compromised, which usually doesn't happen if you run it somewhere with little traffic, and is cheap to replace. Total cost would be under $40.

But, if running a cable isn't going to work for you, then what corocoro and the others have been saying is your other best option. A cheap router that can run in Bridge Mode and link with your parent's all-in-one. Most of those will also have a built-in switch so you can still plug in several devices to it. It won't help your overall speed very much (unless the second router has much better reception than your Wi-fi card) you are still only getting what you get from the main router), but it will be more stable, and even cheaper than the switch + cable route.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166064

Actually, nobody here did resolve the issue with wireless signals being weak and cutting out quite soon.

Your options are:
1. Go search a high powered WiFi TX/RX Base
2. Build the Windsurfer Al Foil antenna

Wiring Cat6 cable may be a great option... But it's a bitch to install properly and a pain in the ass to haul from your inside wall to that location. You could however, use existing wiring you may already have in your outhouse between the house. If your house and outhouse does has a demarc point, you could look into getting a VDSL extender (Really, that's just DSL over your private POTS wire) and cross connect the two tip and rings together to create a bridge between the two. I'm pretty sure there are unused pairs in your home telephone wiring that you can use. Heck, you might be even able to use the other 3 pairs for 10/100 speeds. (10/100 only needs 2 pairs and that's about it)

There's your other option for searching up what I personally call the el-cheapo add on antenna:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Just slap this on your router and there you have it. An antenna that costs almost nothing but does what it's supposed to do.

Hey thanks everyone for the help but I ended up figuring a way out as I said I bought a wireless router and used it to extend the network range by turning it to repeater mode then I had to do some other stuff like exchanging mac addresses and all that bridging crap.So finally got internet in my sleepout full bars can go on my laptop,ipod and xbox at the same time awesome again big thanks to all the other ideas which I probably could of tried first but hey.so I guess an admin/mod can close this thread now????
<3 <3 <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Sorry Ryzen, this one got updated too recently
ルルカと大魔導士のエロトラップダンジョン to v24.04.25
uiu1610432 wrote on UFO's profile.
Hi,UFO.
Is there any criteria for making requests?
I want to see the recent work 'フェルン フリーレン 02' by Gentleman910
Nagomikaze wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey, do you have a working Textractor hook for this release? I can only hook the base game. Thanks in advance!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092