Using a VPN for the first time... One major question

Joyjason

Cynical Philosopher
Elite Member
Dec 16, 2010
Hey guys, Mr. Lurker here.

As readers probably know already, VPN stands for Virtual Private Network, which is used by a lot of users to mask their connection without getting found out.

Recently, my college's IT department called me and my roommate over, and bitched about me tor-renting my anime and games. This kinda exposed me to my roommate's bitching as well, so we're not getting along either. But that aside... being the hardcore weeaboo I am, I just left that place and decided to never look back.

Which leads to my question. I plan on using a paid VPN. However, I am not sure that if I use even a paid VPN, if it's the school providing the internet service, would I be able to safely tor-rent my anime/games without being found out?

If it helps, I live in the US, in Philadelphia.

Before anyone says anything: I've tried using DDL links, and they SUCK. I'm barely getting 100kbs download speeds, and that's IF the link is even alive.

If worse comes to worst, I'm thinking of getting my own private internet connection. Would that be feasible in the dormitories?

Thanks a bunch!
-- Joyjason

They would still notice your traffic, which is probably the main issue (volume of upload/download). You might also be consuming a lot of the bandwidth depending on how much you up/down on average, and slow down the network for everyone else. This would not change with a VPN.
Otherwise not sure what they would have specifically against torrenting.

In case you use a VPN, they have no way to figure out what are you using it for. Unless the service provider rats you out. You would be safe, but the traffic would still count, and that if it shows an usual high number, an explanation may be required for that.

Yes! As torrent uploader myself I havent really faced any problems from my ISP. They just simply dont care since a large amount of people are doing it too

Just be sure not to keep the VPN on while downloading a torrent as it may interfer with BitTorent traffic. Some VPNs dont even wanna connect because of the torrent software. Good luck ! :)

Well I think you tried buy Internet Download Manager instead buy paid VPN.Their has vpngate for free but not stable you must find new ones.I recommend for Japan only very fast.IDM will seperate piece of files by 8 and 16 connect and combine together.It not like eagleget or browser download.
For Internet connection in roommate question
I can said adminstrator can find traffic on client.You find trick to don't track but next time it came back again.If i go to university,I will come home at weekend and download anything as much as i can at home.Just only my idea.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?
dohuni wrote on UFO's profile.
Hello. Could you reupload the version 2.0 of this game? RJ310786 thanks.
DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi Shine,

[190912][Excite engine] RPGでゲーム進行に関わりなくNPCをエッチどころかディープなSMまでしちゃうゲーム [RJ264801]

Could you please Reup the above game?
Thanks.
playboy623 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.