Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Second Opinion About PC Parts

Thanks
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Second Opinion About PC Parts

Over the years I have learnt when building pc's always good to get a second opinion on components.

All the prices are in New Zealand dollars.
    Mainly a gaming machine but will be used for 3D modelling etc. in the next few months.
    Current GPU is a 670GTX 4gb Model.

I am looking at:
    CPU: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=20024
    Motherboard: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=18580
    Ram: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=16107
    CPU Cooler: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=18298

Extra if I have enough Money:
    Power Supply: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=20316

I am wanting any suggestions on which could be swapped out for for similar performance for a little bit cheaper cost wise.

Thanks in advance
    Ignore This Signature
    [IMG]http://i.**********/6B4mGPC.png[/IMG]
    Sig and Avatar By Dark Angel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Close to JP GMT +9 Time Zone. However not at JP atm.
    Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Re: Second Opinion About PC Parts

@Ren Nanase: I may not be the best guy for RAM Specifications since I didn't delve deep enough in RAM specifications in my self studies in specific bits of information provided by the manufacturers. So I'll probably spend some time studying it within this year and the foundations upwards. So I can't comment about it.

So right now, this how I see your current situation for purchasing your computer parts (correct me if I'm wrong):
    • Your Budget is approximately 1200 NZD
    • You want a Gaming Rig
    • You intend to also use the system to work on 3D Models (like what program you're going to use)
    • And if you can save 300 NZD, you want to fit in a new PSU purchase
    • Current GPU is a 670GTX 4gb Model

In my opinion, if you really want that PSU, consider the following:
    • Downgrade your motherboard if you don't need 6 internal SATA ports immediate future. This assumes you only buy new parts every 3 years.
    • If you don't care about noises and will not use it in room temperatures of 30 to 40 Degrees Celsius. Use a cheaper Heat sink or Water cooler.
    • Add another 100 to 200 NZD in your budget and you can get your PSU purchase.

If you plan to buy and replace the PSU later on in the future, then consider waiting on that and buying the essential four first.

Mind telling us in more detail on how your gaming habits and software will use your system resources. Can you identify which part of the system will have heavier load due to certain programs or games? In my experience with my current system, I can comfortably run Total War: Shogun 2 at medium to high settings and will have around 10 to 30 seconds to load up each battle field.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Gaming habbits i tend to run them at best if possible as well as i have optimised my OS etc.
    i have about 1500 NZD to spend and there is a combo pack for the cpu MB and ram which is $1050

Current PSU is a 1000w true power antec, although it started a coil whine and the fan broke which i fixed lol and still runs fine so that's why I am sitting on the fence about getting a new one.

As for modelling we are talking about Maya and 3ds max and depending how i feel Unreal Dev Kit.
    Gaming i tend to have a heavy load as i have many applications open at once and some times 1-3 games depending what they are and i am wanting to at least run the new Battlefield game on Hig

The CPU cooler is my main issue with being unsure what i need and might buy 1 more 4tb HD for anime.
    For the sata ports there is a small issue lol as i will have 3-4 internal HD hanging off it then more later on.

And thanks
    suzukieiko likes this.
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 826 Posts
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveRecommendation First ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

You didn't list everything you have such as RAM, HDD. They are very important to the build.

IMO, the CPU is too much, I'd say for 3D model (not rendering) and heavy gaming, a Core i5 would do just perfect.
    The Motherboard is overkill for the rest of your specification unless you do crazy OC.

I'd suggest to scale down or post the full specification of your rig, so analysis can be done correctly.

Now if you also do 3D rendering, it's more complicated, I don't recommend single PC setup for rendering as it tends to cost much more and is very inconvenience. You're much better off buying an additional budget AMD 8 cores as a render farm.

I only post what I bought. My uploads are for those who share the same taste but could not easily import them. If you can buy the game, please do it to support the company.
    Bugs report belong to the Site Support, not my inbox.

Thanks
    Achievements:

Current Specs are:
    CPU: i7 920 2.6ghz
    Ram: 6gb corsair dominator 1600mhz
    HD: Segate 1tb 7200rpm
    GPU: Nvidia 670GTX
    Motherboard shouldn't matter as the new cpu will need a new board anyway.

I wont be upgrading my HD to a ssd as they cost to much for the space they hold. I will be buying 4-8tb HDs at the end of the year when i have more money but for now 1tb does wonders for me. Also have 2 smaller internal segate HD and 4 externals.
    6Gb ram is not enough now days for alot of rigs and for what i need to i will be going for 12-16gbram.

As for a Render farm i do have 1 other pc in parts which i was thinking about making it do the rendering but havent gotten around to it yet. Now i was also taking on your advice and will be looking at AMD as a cheaper alt to intel.

Thanks for the feed back as well guys
    Ignore This Signature

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveRecommendation First ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Well then, I don't see any problem in your build. Even though the major bottle necking would be your HDD. Until you upgrade it then.

I only post what I bought. My uploads are for those who share the same taste but could not easily import them. If you can buy the game, please do it to support the company.

Thanks
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

I can't really say much for render farms or anything like that, but from a pc gaming perspective, I agree with the sentiment check said regarding the cpu. And get a decent GPU (graphics card). I just recently sent back my gtx780 in order to get 1 or 2 gtx770 myself after checking how much more I would get for my money. My CPU is a relatively old one for some standards, but a very well known in the Over Clocking community, the i5 2500k. There really isn't much point for me to upgrade it as things stands today, other than the GPU.

I never had the 920, but from what I remember it was a good buy at the time for OC'ing. As a rule of thumb I think in 'these terms' in regards for gaming rigs, cheap overclockable CPU's, paired with more expensive GPU's. Since it's on the GPU side there is more performance to gain. Some kind of i5 as check mentioned sounds great. Unfortunately I haven't checked the current SKU's(models) to give an exact recommendation, since I know my i5 2500k is all thats still needed for current games. I've OC'ed it moderately at 4.2ghz. But most ppl I talked with pretty much just set it running at 4.5ghz right from the start without almost a hickup, and from what I recall the line lies about 4.2 where further OC requires increased Voltage... But this wasn't supposed to be about my CPU though, just to give some glimpse how easy it can potentially be and illustrate the point of saving money on the CPU side.
    And just in case your not already familiar, the K at the end of the model number on Intel CPU's means it's unlocked, so people who plan for OC goes for them for that reason.
    Without checking online for others feedback and experience, my thoughts by default drift towards the cheapest unlocked i5 (ending with a K)

As to all the other stuff, rendering ect, it's not my field and I have no insight other than that CPU power matters more, and perhaps more importance of parallel computing. So I'll hopefully leave you in better hands in taking advice from other people than me on that.

Oh and yeah, the MB is x79 which is socket 2011, and that means in case you don't know that you cant even use the i5 on it which is socket 1150. Dropping the x79 and the i7 for some z87 and a i5 can save you money and pretty much match what i7 and x79 can do, and relatively speaking even surpass it. But you are forced to like buy a x79 socket 2011 if you just have to have the 6-core extreme CPU which costs a ton of money and doesn't give you anything extra gaming wise. Thats one difference between the two platforms to mention something. Take a look at how the new haswell i5 scales in BF3:

The results above is with a gtx680 btw and stock speeds. The top CPU is a 6-core i7. Notice my "old" 2500k right behind the current gen i5. And don't be fooled by synthetic tests when thinking about gaming, cause they will show you a whole other result than you will experience in practice when playing games.

Ah your going to play bf4 ...I've made plans for that too, we better play some together then ! I've been kinda starved to not only play something, but with someone. Maybe this Autumn I will finally get to do it.

In summary: if it was me right now, well first of all I'd do a lot more research emh, but as is right now I'd get the i5 4670k, a z87 board, and probably a gtx770. But thats me, get a 2nd opinion on it is a good thing, and remember I've just given a rough idea of what I would probably do, or how I would begin to think as a baseline while perhaps looking into further details. I haven't looked into the performance/price ratios for where you might absolutely get the maximum amount of performance for every penny or anything in depth.
    Last edited by GenKiDan; September 18th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Ignore This Signature
      Spoiler: Video Contest 2014 
    Video Contest Thread link
    [IMG]http://i.**********/ZAnRkJf.png[/IMG]

Spoiler: Doom & Gloom; not the prettiest sig around: you been warned, click if you want. 
    And so, the destruction came. But how many saw it coming.
    War comes! But when they say Peace & Security, beware.
    [IMG]http://i.**********/I4HOaIj.jpg[/IMG]

Know that I loved in a true way, know that I spoke in a true way and cared from the heart. Even if no one cares.
    FREE AT LAST

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GenKiDan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:

I forgot to mention I'm still using both the i7 920 and i7 970 as my primary PC. I'm not looking at upgrades even now

I'm pretty sure it would play BF4 just fine as long as I slap a 7970 or equivalent.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Checkmate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

@checko yeah I wouldn't be surprised by it, I got the impression BF runs pretty well for what it gives in visuals. Contrasted with how crysis was(1st one at least).

Hmm so we can have the best visuals/power performance games coupled with the best price/performance giving HW. Then we're getting some nice efficiency here...just a thought.

Writing this previous post here also reminded me about doing some l4d2....but seeing as your a l4d master/god apparently I wonder if I should be worried about just getting in the way or not do pretty enough headshots hum hum.
    I almost mentioned it. But then something weird happened while I edited my post to create a double post, so now that I happen to get an extra post anyways I might as well.
    Last edited by GenKiDan; September 18th, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    Ignore This Signature
      Spoiler: Video Contest 2014 
    Video Contest Thread link
    [IMG]http://i.**********/ZAnRkJf.png[/IMG]

Spoiler: Doom & Gloom; not the prettiest sig around: you been warned, click if you want. 
    And so, the destruction came. But how many saw it coming.
    War comes! But when they say Peace & Security, beware.
    [IMG]http://i.**********/I4HOaIj.jpg[/IMG]

Know that I loved in a true way, know that I spoke in a true way and cared from the heart. Even if no one cares.
    FREE AT LAST

Thanks
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Depending on the level of your 3D graphics, you may want to go all out on RAM. Models eat through that like a teenager through junk food. I'd say get 16GB at least, and perhaps leave the potential to upgrade to 32 later on when you need it.

And while I haven't looked at processors too much in the last while, you might as well look for an i5 haswell k series, as I'm guessing the price difference wont be anything that matters much. I'm not sure how exactly 3D rendering eats through processor, but you might also want to look into that as well (could be worth getting an i7 after all). I know it is a boon with video work anyways, so it might come down to what you are using the 3D models for.
    Ignore This Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information