Running country-restricted apps on Android

pichu655889

Incompetent Teitoku
Elite Member
Sep 13, 2013
So after [MENTION=10337]juandholic[/MENTION]; asked about running an app in his Count to a Million thread, I'm kinda interested in knowing how to run country-restricted apps (especially those restricted to Japan) on an Android phone (although personally an emulator would do just fine, if such things exist). Does anyone know how to go about doing this or has experience doing this before?

FYI, the app in question then was this.

Last edited:
So after @junandholic; asked about running an app in his Count to a Million thread, I'm kinda interested in knowing how to run country-restricted apps (especially those restricted to Japan) on an Android phone (although personally an emulator would do just fine, if such things exist). Does anyone know how to go about doing this or has experience doing this before?

FYI, the app in question then was this.

With that what generally has to happen is rooting the device.
I would also like to add there is software that emulates android on your PC which allows you to run and install android apps onto your pc.

EDIT:
Done some looking up and this guy is pretty much the only way to do so as they changed the way the region lock works.
http://support.evanhe.com/2012/03/08/introduction-to-market-unlocker-2/

No, you don't have to root your device to change your Play Store's region. Also, region unlocker apps no longer work with the new Google Play Store app, since it strictly determines your region by your provider's IP now.

I made this guide for someone who wanted to download an otome game from the Japanese Google Play Store: http://imgur.com/a/idfiQ#areSLGs

Involves downloading a VPN app, getting a Japanese IP, going to the play store, starting (not fully downloading) the app's download in the Play Store, stopping the VPN and then fully downloading the game. The game will download via your Wi-Fi/3G/4G (whichever one you're using at the time) once you disconnect the VPN. But you have to start the download via VPN first. However, the app you downloaded will not show up in your list of applications in "My apps". This is because the Play store doesn't officially recognize the app because of the way it was downloaded to your device. So if you ever need to update the app, check the 'Recently Downloaded' page to access the app's download page. You won't have to run a different IP to update it--since it's already on your device, you can update it via your own Wi-Fi/4G/3G.

Wow, the above steps seem really annoying...

And all you need to do for an iOS is simply create a dummy account that you can switch easily back and forth
I guess, though, that an Android has better options (for games and such) because I assume that the Asian population prefers it over Apple.

Then again, hearing how droids can have VPN apps gives me the notion that again, iOS is only for the technologically challenged, like me XD

Wow, the above steps seem really annoying...

And all you need to do for an iOS is simply create a dummy account that you can switch easily back and forth
I guess, though, that an Android has better options (for games and such) because I assume that the Asian population prefers it over Apple.

Then again, hearing how droids can have VPN apps gives me the notion that again, iOS is only for the technologically challenged, like me XD

Well, yeah. But that's only for iOS. The same thing wouldn't work for the Android store, even if you have a Japanese Play Store account. Because Google chooses the store's region for you based on your IP. It's stupid as hell, and Google has absolutely no business segregating apps by region, but that's the way it is now. I'm starting to really dislike the new Google these days. People probably prefer Android over iOS products because they're cheaper and easier to mass-produce. I especially hate the lack of uniform updates with Android, but to be honest, you can do more with an outdated Android phone than you can with an outdated iPhone, because hardware issues aren't a big deal with Android. Plus, expandable memory! I have a crappy old iPod 2G that I don't use at all because it's only 8GB. If I could put a 32GB SD card in it, it'd be as useful as my 2005 20GB iPod is today.

Anyway, I've had an iPhone 4 and a 3GS before, so I know just how nice the iOS UI is, how easy it is to switch between the Japanese and English keyboards, and so on. Much easier to contend with for the average user, and there are more apps to choose from.

The VPN apps (like Tigervpns) are extremely easy to use, though. >.> I don't know much about computers either, but it was easy enough to figure out after a bit of Googling.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if it helps with your question, but last year or so I had found a rythm game app only available in Korea (maybe Asia only).
At first, google play said my device didn't support the app, and when I got a new phone, it said not available in my region.
Someone (video tutorial) gave several ways to go around the region restrictions.

The easiest way, (according to me), was to download "QooApp", something like googleplay I think, but for asian games ? from my computer, then install it in my phone and download my game from it (though the app is in Chinese characters, you can search the game in English) and voilà~

Last week, the game refused to open though, because I needed to update it. Once again, I just looked for the game through Qooapp and updated it from there. Now it works perfectly.
I'm in France, if you're wondering (It's bothersome to get games not in Europe...)

May be that will help you someday, if not now x)

[MENTION=89305]Ordog[/MENTION];

Thanks for helping out with a question I asked 2 years ago xD

I've come across QooApp before as well and was using it for a while back when I played mobile games. I don't really play the mobile games anymore though, but I still have QooApp installed in my phone.

I'm not sure if this still works now, but I used to download games not available in my region direct from the Google Play Store by creating a Japanese Google account, turning on a Japanese VPN and downloading the app/game through my phone's browser.

You're welcome~
(I'm really sorry >< I didn't check the date of the thread... OTL)

Haha no, I'm just pleasantly surprised that someone put in the effort in replying to a thread so old

If the info here helps anyone then that's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。