Need help to find a good desktop computer to buy please ^_^

Riokushinaku

***☆RIO☆***
Jan 31, 2013
Hey everyone. I'll be getting my tax refund here soon, and I'm in desperate need of an upgrade on my computer. I've had the same computer for 6-7 years, she's treated me good but even flash games and videos require more cpu than this ole' gal can keep up with. I was wanting to see if anyone had some suggestion on VERY cheap desktops that can at least run The Guild 2 on max settings smoothly. I've wanted that game for a while now, and many others, but have never had the money to upgrade my hardware. My refund is only going to be $900 this year, as the hotel I worked maintence at shut down permanently :(. Handy man maintenance, not janitor maintenance :P lol. A good bit of that $900 is going to bills. Aka, I need something really cheap. If anyone of you have a custom build recommendation that you feel would be more affordable, feel free to share. I look like a farm hand, but I'm a computer geek at heart ;). Thanks to anyone who can help.

if you really want to go for a gaming desktop, i always recommend building it yourself. i have a PC that can run almost every game in existence at highest quality. a good example is that it can run Skyrim at highest.

when i built my computer, it came out to cost about 550 USD total

and i went with a 2tb harddrive, and probably some other things that you can ease up on and cut the cost a little bit

if you really want to go for a gaming desktop, i always recommend building it yourself. i have a PC that can run almost every game in existence at highest quality. a good example is that it can run Skyrim at highest.

when i built my computer, it came out to cost about 550 USD total

Care to share all the the parts in your rig please? :giveme: If I had a computer like that, I could finally get back into pc gaming again.

Also, I use a 46" display. So it would need to support hd and good handling of 1920x1080 resolution.

Haha, power to the tv pc people! ^_^ Thanks a bunch. I'll look over all these parts and see if I can track down the out of stock parts too. Hopefully I'll be able to afford it all :S.

Oh, and big thanks for linking each part. That will save me a TON of time and headache lol.

well i bought the 2tb hard drive becuase they were having a sale on it. you can go a little cheaper if you just get a 1tb

and i only got the DVD drive to install the OS. if you can install it a different way, than you might not need it

Oh, I've got tons of dvd/cd drives laying around. Also, I can salvage from my existing computer. I can even use its power supply, 600w and sata compatable. How much ram are you running right now? 8, 12, 16?

i have 8, but it still has 2 ram slots open, so i could upgrade it to 16 if i wanted.
and since you have all the old parts that'll save a good amount of money. i got a little netbook, and was able to make the ram at least 2 because of my old laptops ram. it's always nice to save parts from old computers

Pheeeeeeew, I just found out that motherboard can hold up to 32 gigs of ram. Four 8 gig sticks in total. Also, that graphics card your using requires 500w. If you only have a 500w in your rig, you might wanna get a bigger one. At least 600w, because that 500w wont be able to efficiently power your video card AND all the other hardware in your rig properly. Just a friendly suggestion ^_^

yup, it's a good motherboard. if you're lucky you might be able to use your old ram cards. even if you only have 2 2gb cards, you could just buy another 2, and save a little.
and thanks for the advice. the power supply is temporary. as long as i don't overwork it, it'll be fine for a while. i've already had it for maybe 3 months, and never a problem

u can buy a 32g SSD for around $50, and then use your old HDD to download/install/store files on using only the SSD for only your OS or for games that u want a little more performance

8 Gb RAM is standard theses days, any PC with anything higher is best used for rendering videos and 3d models. I got my entire setup for around £1100, which is about $1600 with a 1Tb HDD, i7, 8Gb ram 1Gb Graphics and two 22" Monitors. I also paid extra to upgrade my fans to make them nice and quiet, which is a must if you sleep in the same room as your PC and have to keep it on. I also paid a little extra for a nice case, as aesthetics are a big thing for me, I didn't want a boring box.

It all depends on your budget and within 2 years your PC will be back on the lower end of the scale due to how stupidly fast the market moves. Within 2 years, 16Gb RAM will be standard.

SSDs are also a good investment if you feel like it, they make an excellent option for storing your OS on as they can load files much faster than HDDs, but at the moment they're a bit pricey, expect them to become dirt cheap within a few years though.

Well, here are the items I'll be (hopefully) buying for my new rig:

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Video Card (Comes with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for FREE ^_^) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

Parts I might get:

CPU fan - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&Tpk=seasonic 620w modular

I'll be using my existing hardware to make up the rest. The mobo can hold up to 32GB ram, and has sli and crossfirex capability. So I'll be able to upgrade ram and/or add another video card in the future, since it can use more than just one gpu :D.

The total of all the parts is only $464.96. Here's to hoping I'll have enough after all my bills are taken care of :S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

uiu1610432 wrote on UFO's profile.
Hi,UFO.
Is there any criteria for making requests?
I want to see the recent work 'フェルン フリーレン 02' by Gentleman910
Nagomikaze wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey, do you have a working Textractor hook for this release? I can only hook the base game. Thanks in advance!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.