Need advice on laptop specification for RPG maker games

calranthe

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2014
Hello,
As the title says I am looking to buy an old laptop to use with the many adult and none adult rpg maker based games and would like some help figuring out the maximum specification I need to run them.
Let me know if I am wrong.
OS I was thinking Windows XP (this will be an offline laptop only connecting to primary network to transfer files) is there any of the many versions of RPG maker that need windows 7 to run ?

Memory 2-4gb

Graphics nvidia or ATI mobile gpu (while in modern laptops the intel graphics 4000+ can handle a lot) if we are talking a windows xp laptop then I believe something like a 260m or above.

Hd biggest I can fit into the thing.

I can find many with the above range for quite cheap but before I grab one want to make sure it will work.

Thank you for any advice.

Hello,
As the title says I am looking to buy an old laptop to use with the many adult and none adult rpg maker based games and would like some help figuring out the maximum specification I need to run them.
Let me know if I am wrong.
OS I was thinking Windows XP (this will be an offline laptop only connecting to primary network to transfer files) is there any of the many versions of RPG maker that need windows 7 to run ?

Memory 2-4gb

Graphics nvidia or ATI mobile gpu (while in modern laptops the intel graphics 4000+ can handle a lot) if we are talking a windows xp laptop then I believe something like a 260m or above.

Hd biggest I can fit into the thing.

I can find many with the above range for quite cheap but before I grab one want to make sure it will work.

Thank you for any advice.

Depending on the RPG Maker game you're playing, you might need this for older games.

Also, I think your Laptop is fine for RPG maker games as long as it has enough CPU and memory to run these games. In addition, if the computer actually works. :haguro:

Reactions: calranthe
@calranthe In my opinion you should buy second hand laptop with windows 7.WindowsXP hasn't support anymore and it not safe for new malware.And some game it use microsoft visual c++ for game support.However Windows 7 get long about 4 or much more support.What brand do you plan to buy laptop?If you want durable and long use I recommand DELL and ASUS.Sony is hard to maintanance because it expensive and they sell VAIO already.
And I want you buy external HDD for safe you eroge that you collect because these second hand laptop some people has history such like injury or fall.It make HDD got bad sector or can't get file to copy.That is big problem.
Good luck.

Good idea I am looking a different ones now but a Dell is an option (have multiple backup drives at the moment :)

Good idea I am looking a different ones now but a Dell is an option (have multiple backup drives at the moment :)
How do you get second hand laptop?Such like Ebay or another else?Don't forget to check history and service tag and warranty for service.

How do you get second hand laptop?Such like Ebay or another else?Don't forget to check history and service tag and warranty for service.

I think you shouldn't try to buy from Ebay because sometimes the second-hand items from there are shit. Sorry for my foul language, but it's true. xD Especially in the technology, but that's just my opinion. This is coming from a long-time ebay-customer. It's really up to you on what you think of it. On Ebay, if you find this laptop new and for a cheap price, atleast under 100 and it's brand new, then snag it. My mum had this laptop and it was pretty good. If you can, try to buy a good laptop under a 100 pounds. If 2GB is not enough memory for your games, then just buy a SD card or an external hard drive.

Last edited:
I have bought from ebay for a long time and yes it is always good advice to check the feedback history on these sites, with this project I am risking very little, maximum I am spending is £60 if it does not work no real loss, if it works then great. The best laptop I ever had came from Ebay an unbranded generic model that lasted years.
At the moment all my Adult games share my gaming pc, which is not always that viable, certain ones refuse to run with the different versions of local and thus I have to switch to Japan local which would be okay if then certain normal games and software got messed up by the unicode changes.
Where as if I have a laptop set up purely for these types of games and I have room on my desk for a laptop it is a win win situation.

Reactions: Tee
What?? :O

Some of my games get ruined if you change your unicode for example by changing your system locale? Why though? I don't understand. Who told you this?

What?? :O

Some of my games get ruined if you change your unicode for example by changing your system locale? Why though? I don't understand. Who told you this?

No one told me I found out myself, let me explain, unicode local changes certain characters now most western games are fine but for example, if I switch to Japan local two mmo games that I play detect the change and try to patch Japanese files into the game, Killer network app changes to japanese menu, even my old virus killer detected the change and switched to Japanese settings (note this is just local change not setting my region different)

If I tried to play Warframe while in Japanese unicode it would decide to re-install the game (I think this was a steam issue at the time) I have 370 steam games and when I switch to Japanese half of the ones installed remove themselves from the list.

BTW what is the best translation software, I use visual novel reader and when that fails switch to Ith+atlas+translation aggregator.

Just wondered if anything new on this front has come out.

No one told me I found out myself, let me explain, unicode local changes certain characters now most western games are fine but for example, if I switch to Japan local two mmo games that I play detect the change and try to patch Japanese files into the game, Killer network app changes to japanese menu, even my old virus killer detected the change and switched to Japanese settings (note this is just local change not setting my region different)

If I tried to play Warframe while in Japanese unicode it would decide to re-install the game (I think this was a steam issue at the time) I have 370 steam games and when I switch to Japanese half of the ones installed remove themselves from the list.

Oh, I get it. I was installing The Sims 3 in my computer last time and it came out in Japanese so I went to regedit and changed the language to English. XD
Now I figured out that next time I plan on installing The Sims 3, my system locale has to be set to English UK before I change it back to Japanese.

Okay just had the winning bid on a Dell e6400 it is from 2008 but the specs include Intel core duo 2.8ghz 150gb HD and 4GB ram, windows 7 professional included, nice thing is dell still has updated drivers for it up to 2013.

I did some checking and it looks like the Dell Latitude e6400 is a real gem not only as a stable platform but very easy to upgrade and replace parts. Should arrive by the end of the week, will let people know how it goes.

Laptop arrived, works perfectly and looks almost brand new :), spent the morning installing software. Games seem to work fine on it.

Sorry for late because time from study at school.
Well i read review this laptop from http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Latitude-E6400-Notebook.12875.0.html
This laptop is thick but it very durable and strong for Eroge game.The temperature in this laptop is only about 35 celcius from their test.Great,that reason you can play eroge long hours without problem heating.If you think the color little not colorful you can use monitor by use VGA port which TV or Computer monitor for enrich color.
I have been using DELL GX520 before it very durable and use for 5 years.I ever have accident by glass of water to my dell is wet but i clean it and wait to dry and it work pretty well without problem.

And last thing I say to is Congratulation to get this laptop.Enjoy.

I really like how easy it is to upgrade this laptop, I was going to upgrade the cpu but seems the last owner already did that (it originally had a p8400 cpu 2.26ghz) it has a T9600 2.8ghz cpu which runs on a faster bus, It has been upgraded from vista to win 7 64bit professional and has 4gb ram.

I am looking into an SSD for this system a 240gb ssd is quite cheap these days and the system came with a basic 160gb drive already, Which will give it the biggest performance boost, doesn't need it :) but I feel like it would be fun to do.

If you look at the system requirement of the official website of RPG Maker, this is the what they give as minimum requirement

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 2.0 GHz equivalent or faster processor
RAM: 512 MB or more 512 MB or more
HDD: 400 MB or more free space -
Screen: 1024 x 768 pixels or higher desktop resolution

So if you want to run RPG maker 2000 or lower you need windows XP, because this is not backward compatible with windows 7, but RPG Maker XP is compatible with Windows 7

So this is what you need for a notebook/laptop (my recommendation)

CPU: i3-core or if you like more (AMD) then AMD A6
RAM: 4GB
HDD: =< 500GB
Grahpics: Intel HD Graphics or AMD Radeon RX (x=1,2,3 >>)
Screen: 1366x768

I Recommend to buy an Acer Aspire V3 or if you have more money Acer Aspire E5

for example here is a review of a notebook of Acer Aspire E5: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-E5-521-Notebook-Review.137490.0.html

or you can search for more reviews: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Google...l&ref=www.notebookcheck.net/&ss=952j123218j10

I hope this will help you.

@sarnagon
All your idea about RPG Maker game i agree with you.But the laptop i think it very hard to get Acer.
First the brand is not popular because another brand beat it by DELL,ASUS and Lenovo.
2.All about long using problem,Acer is very bad heat reduce from fan so it get to repair often from Blue screen of dead or windows can't boot up.That reason computer repair shop like Acer.
3.Service on acer is going well such like fix on date or get laptop during fix,but another brand has good service such like DELL with on site service.Call to DELL service and they come tomorrow and fix at home.They do very fast and great well.

I don't blame you about your choice from the laptop.I want to give good advice for AS member if they want laptop.
If i make you feel angry or not comfortable.I sorry to you.

@calranthe
From "I am looking into an SSD for this system a 240gb ssd is quite cheap these days and the system came with a basic 160gb drive already, Which will give it the biggest performance boost, doesn't need it but I feel like it would be fun to do."
Samsung is best choice for SSD because they expert SSD if you get PRO version your dell boot pretty fast and save battery get longer or Sandisk SSD if you can't get pro because expensive.Clone HDD to new SSD is easy by using Acronis true image boot disc by select clone drive it easy.And you format your HDD to make external HDD or use on NAS.
Good luck.

Had to be Sandisk was very good price, works fine, the e6400 is doing fine for purpose, later in the year I may go for an e6430 which is basically the same but with far more modern cpu architecture i5/i7

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。