Mouse Sensitivity and Accessibility of External HD

Kasumi

AFK Master
Elite Member
Sep 12, 2012
All right, so I regret to say I have two problems; one with my mouse and the other with my external 1TB HD but I'll start with the mouse first.

Some times when I make a single click, the mouse behaves as if I had made a double-click and opens files instead of merely highlighting them. Or minimising Google Chrome (which is done with a double click) when all I did was close a tab (single click). It doesn't happen all the time but has become more frequent as of late and is especially annoying when arranging files into folders by dragging and dropping (it would drop the file into a different folder while I was still dragging it even though I hadn't released the mouse button yet). :raging:

I received this mouse for free when I bought my laptop (a year ago). I don't recall it having come in any packaging whatsoever and it doesn't appear to have a brand (it looks really cheap xD). Is it time to replace it?

As for the 1TB external, it's a brand new Verbatim USB 3.0 and hardly a month since I got it from the shop. My laptop has three USB ports; one on the right (this one is used for the mouse) and two on the left. The first time I used the external, I plugged it in from the left and it worked fine. Ever since then however, neither of the ports on the left work and now it only works if I plug it into the right port (which is inconvenient since I would have to compromise the mouse).

The funny thing is, one of the left ports doesn't work at all. The second one 'appears' to work. The LED on the external would light up and the beep sound from the computer tells me it's connected. But Autoplay doesn't pop up nor does the external appear under My Computer. But if I look under Hardware in the Control Panel, it's listed there but I can't access it from there.

Help, please?

What you should do is if you know someone else that has a USB mouse, attempt to use their one first before buying a new one in order to see if the fault lies in your mouse or not.

Regarding your second problem, you might need to update the USB drivers for your laptop.

If that doesn't work, then it may be a hardware problem and you'll have to get it checked with your manufacturer.

If it's a problem with your software then you'll need to uninstall the USB drivers and then restart your laptop, which should fix the problem. Only use this method if you know that the touch pad of your laptop still works otherwise...you won't be able to use a mouse after if it doesn't work.

This video should be of some help. =]

Reactions: Kasumi
Ah, I see. Thanks, Gwee! Well I tried checking the drivers but nothing seems out of the ordinary. I don't have the confidence to do it manually so maybe I'll try out that Driver Boost thing in the video. If it's the drivers that's mucking around with my mouse, I guess it'a a gone case sooner or later since it doesn't have a brand. :XD: Though I better do something about the external. Thanks for your help again, Gwee. :runhappy:

Just get a new mouse. I've had it happen a few times and it's usually a sign of it being worn out.

Ah, good to know it wasn't just my mouse being retarded because of something I did. Thanks! I'll go look for a new one next chance I get.

I see then. Sorry for not being able to help any further that this.

Thanks for the link, Checkmate. it was rather interesting. I think I'll try it out only after I get an extra mouse though; I hate using the touchpad on the laptop and I'm not exactly the most careful person in the world so... ^^;

As for the HD it worked today when I plugged it into a left port but only after about 2 minutes. The Driver Boost Pro wasn't recognised by Windows as an installable program and the Verbatim website actually doesn't have any drivers for the HD. I don't think there's a problem with my laptop since everything else works fine.

I don't think there's a problem with my laptop since everything else works fine.

Driver, especially USB one are port independent, and tend to corrupt if you have an unstable PC. Unfortunately, most user doesn't understand much about how this work thus this problem is frequently happened. Also, Driver Boost Pro is such a bullshit software.

And btw, USB drivers are made by Intel Chipset or whatever chipset you're using, such as Nvidia (very old), or AMD. Microsoft usually embed them directly on their OS but they don't have the newer chipset driver, hence sometimes report errors. All USB3 port are powered by a third party chipset, most popular are NEC, Marvell, and Artheros. This is for your information only, don't try to do something because chance you break your OS is high unless you know what you're doing (but I honestly don't think so)

Another common problem is that if it is a portable HDD and it has no other power source than the USB port you're plugging in, then your laptop USB port doesn't feed it enough power. Some portable HDD has 2 USB line out to supply the extra power necessary. Use of a better (thicker) USB cable or the one that has 2 USB line out (and plug both of them in your laptop) may fix this problem.

Ah, that's sounds pretty troublesome. Yeah, I'll probably end up BSOD-ing the computer if I try anything of the sort. Though come to think of it, maybe my laptop doesn't support USB 3.0... But I seem to remember the same thing happening on the family Mac (though the problem was solved by simply switching ports). So I guess the most likely of the problems you have deducted would be the port not providing it enough power (yes, it's a portable - I guess I should have mentioned that :donefor: ). But the cable that came with it seems pretty thick - about half a centimetre. Or is that the standard? I'm such a doofus.

Whoops. Nope. Should have thought about that. xD

Upon your advice, I accessed the mouse settings in Hardware from the Control Panel but none of the options seem to allow control over sensitivity.
Mousesettings.png

Mousesettings0.png

All right, I've lowered it a few notches. Going to keep using it and see if it still acts up.

EDIT: Hm, no good. It's still acting like it's spastic sometimes or something. It almost made me open IE when trying to drag a picture to a folder. xD

Last edited:
Well since it's a laptop mouse....(it is a laptop mouse right?), I guess you could re-install your drivers and see if that corrects the problem.

It's a mouse that connects via USB if that's what you mean, yes. But would you please tell me how to go about reinstalling the drivers? The mouse is brandless so I can't go to an official site to get them. Windows isn't detecting any driver updates and I'm afraid of crashing my PC if I have to do manual driver installation. If it comes down to that, I'll probably get a new one and then try out the instructions in the link Checkmate posted on this current one.

You simply just go into: control panel --> administrative tools --> computer management --> device manager --> mice and other pointing devices --> select usb mouse --> right click --> either uninstall or update drivers.

Re-installing may fix your problem.

If not, then go get a new mouse.

That's what I tried before but it didn't work. Guess a new mouse is in order, then. And hopefully one that will last more than a year. Thanks for all your time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha