Meet the REAPER

Checkmate

ピュア&イノセント
Admin
Oct 16, 2010
During planning the Kii.re Project, I noticed something - it would consume loads of storage and computing power. For example, a typical eroge HCG rip contains thousands of CGs, all output as BMPs, and those can take up anywhere from 10GB to 100GB of space. And that's just a single game. But wait, it gets worse... if the game stores bodies, faces, and all manners of inorganic/organic accessories separately, storage can easily take up thrice of what I said before! When all's said and done, there's up to a TB in several thousand files to be converted into a more storage friendly format (PNG). And that's just for a single eroge.

I tested the whole process on my old Intel Core i5 Nahelem. I was quite shocked to find out that on average it takes five days for a game, with some taking as much as eighteen (!) days to finish. With between nine and twelve eroge to rip a month, even doubling my computing power wouldn't get me halfway there. Clearly this is calling for more drastic measures: The Reaper.

The Reaper is designed with three main tenets in mind: Very fast multithreaded computing, extreme HDD I/O with small files, and effective heat dissipation to run at full load all year long.

And this brings me to the AMD Vishera FX-8350 8 core CPUs clocked at an impressive 4.0 Ghz. It may use as a much electricity as a small factory, but in return I get the performance I need without having to sell a leg for it. Even better, the FX-8350 is unlocked, meaning I can easily overclock it to squeeze out even more power as long as I can keep the beast cool. And since running it 24/7/365 requires superior cooling anyway...
Oh, and since AMD doesn't change it's socket every year (unlike a certain other CPU manufacturer), CPU upgrades are also a possibility.

The FX-8350 will be seated on an economy-class MSI 970A-G46, which in turn uses the 970 chipset. It may not have all the bells and whistles of a 990FX based board, but it should do well enough. Besides, I was able to source the mainboard for $50, leaving me more budget for the important parts.

Now for something cool - well, sorta. Using the stock cooler obviously would've caused the CPU to melt through the chassis in record time, so I slapped a twenty-bucks CNPS14X cooler on it. It may be cheap, but it's still among the best. In addition, two more push-n-pull fans can be added, increasing performance even further. For now that's not going to happen, though, since I'm not currently planning on overclocking the Vishera. For now having it run silent takes priority.

Next up is RAM. Ah, how I love three - making everything run fast and smooth. While more RAM is always better, it should be from a reputable brand - so no-names, OCZ and Corsair are out. I decided to go with the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 instead. Might not be the fastest, but at least they don't go down as often as imouto pantsu in my bedroom. Matter of fact, the ones I used so far haven't caused any crashes at all - despite running continuous for 400 days. And with four sticks (total of 32GB for the math-challenged), speed isn't that critical anymore. And at $120, they're a steal.

While I can skimp in the graphics department, some sort of GPU is still needed. Some of the Photoshop scripts involved are used for thousands of tasks, and several of those rely on OpenCL (e.g. GPU power) to reduce CPU load. So the MSI N640GT-MD2GD3/OC with an Nvidia GT 640 chipset it is. Again, stability was one of the core aspects in this choice. By now AMD's drivers instability has reached legendary levels. Having CUDA is another bonus. And the Kepler Architecture uses significantly less power than it's AMD equivalent, so PSU and case cooling don't need to be upgraded much beyond what the monstrous CPU requires. Less heat, less noise, lower cost, higher efficiency, and a more stable system made this a no-brainer. Last, but not least, the chosen GPU has two fans, which means better heat disspation (remember, the system will be at full throttle all-year long), and less potential for hardware failures or overheating.

Talking about PSUs is pretty boring. It's a Corsair CX430, for $30. It does its job and shouldn't blow a fuse at the drop of a pin, so there you go.

Back to the juicy parts: SSDs. There'll be four of them - a SATA2 Intel 330, providing unmatched reliability will be used for the OS and programs. The processing itself will take place on three SATA3 Crucial M4 256GB disks. They may not be as reliable as the Intel disk (they're by no means bad, though), but the SATA3 connection means some serious I/O behind 768GB of sheer awesome. At $850 the SSDs are quite pricey, but they're worth it.

Anyway, SSDs aren't really good for storing data - mostly because they're loli-sized, but not in a good way. That's where Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001s and Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300s come in. While Seagate drives sometimes hav dodgy firmware causing a plethora of problems, the ST2000DM001 is a pretty mature drive, so all the kinks in that line have been ironed out. I mostly added the DT01ACA300s because I got them for cheap and the specs are decent enough. In total, there'll be five 2TB Seagate disks and three 3TB Toshiba disks. Those eight cost a pretty penny: $800. The storage disks will be set-up in simple RAIDs (RAID10 for the Seagates (one's a hot spare) and RAID5 for the Toshibas.)

Since I already mentioned the RAID, I may as well talk about the RAID controller for a bit. The IBM M1015 offers outstanding performance on RAID10 and costs only $100. Matter of fact, it's a rebrand version of the LSI 9220-8i (using the LSI 2008 chip), an enterprise-grade solution. For those readers that don't know what that means: enterprise gear is beyond stable. Add another $50 for the RAID5 key, and a $150 SAS 6Gbps enterprise RAID controller (from a trusty brand. Not some RocketRaid garbage - I avoid that crap like the plague it is.), and we're set.

Next up in the boring-yet-reliable department: a $20 Intel NIC providing a stable uplink to my local storage server, a 120TB backup server (though I still need to add some more disks to actually reach it's full potential). Better than those cheapo Realtek chips you find on mainboards, but that's about all.

I only ever use two types of cases: mini towers and full towers. Since all that gear obviously won't fit into a mini, I went for a full-sized one. The Define XL R2 from Fractal, to be precise. By default the case is geared to be silent, but it can easily be converted into a performance-oriented build. It also happens to be very sturdy and comes at the low, low price of $100. Made of win (and steel).

But all the above together, and you'll get a true beast fit for it's task. The Reaper should be able to get its job done, quick and efficient. Just make sure not to omit the first "e" - we're dealing with pure and innocent matters only, thank you very much.

By the way, I saved the best for the end.

You're looking at two of them.

Over and out!

Specification Summary:

CPU AMD Vishera FX-8350 8 Cores @ 4.0Ghz (4.2Ghz Turbo)
Cooler ZALMAN CNPS14X 140mm Ultra Quiet Tower Cooler
RAM Mushkin Enhanced Silverline DDR3 1600 8GB. Total 4 Sticks = 32GB
Motherboard MSI 970A-G46 AMD 970 UEFI BIOS
GPU MSI N640GT-MD2GD3/OC Nvidia GT640 Kepler 2GB DDR3 DUAL FAN
PSU Corsair PSU CX430 430W
OS SSD Intel 330 Series 240GB SATA2 3Gbps
SSDs Crucial M4 256GB SATA3 6Gbps x 3
HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 x 5
HDD Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 x 3
RAID Controller IBM M1015 LSI 9220-8i SAS2008 SAS 6Gbps
NIC Intel Desktop Gigabit CT
Fractal Design DEFINE XL R2 Ultra Silent Chassis

Update 17 Jul 2013
HW Revisions:
- Replace the MSI 970A-G46 with a Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3. Reasons here 150$
- Swap the IBM M1015 with an LSI 9625-8i w/ BBU & CacheCade Pro 2.0 & FastPath. Nothing wrong with the M1015, just swapping out spare hardware. 1200$
- Swap the PSU 430W to 550W, because of the changes. 50$

Last edited:
Reactions: gershy
... Well if you have the money, why the hell not. I assume you're at least intermediate to advance in computers so you should know where the parts are compatible or not. I haven't able to make a computer that can run without running into some occasional BSOD which is caused by some old hardware (pretty sure it's the HDD but it can also be the mismatch in hardware). Longest time I kept a computer up is 3 days before BSOD. If I ignore BSOD, during normal seasons I can run it 24/7 for a long period of time unless I want to do some cleaning.

Checkmate i see one issue with this.
I dont have one :( its the biggest issue lol

If we ever had donations going on, this is exactly were all the money would go to.

Tests shows some problem, so a following revision was made to the build:

Upgrade the PSU to 550W. The previous PSU is fine. This is just because I want to swap my spare hardware around.

The Motherboard MSI 970A-G46 is replaced by the Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3. The MSI board has serious problem in its VRM Phase Power design that can seriously overheat and kill itself along with any CPU that has a 125W TDP rating.

Oh this looks rather fun. And with twins you should be powering through like nobody's buisness XD.

Not sure why the potshot at corsair RAM, since I've never had any problems, but I did just grab what had a good sale at the time. :P

I wonder if this is the kind of thing I will be up to in 5 years or so, since I might not have much else to spend money on after a few years of settling somewhere. :)

Preliminary test run shows a REAPER can process one image per 30s. Comparing to 85s of my Nehalem test box. Idle temperature is 50°C, with all fans at 50% power and the entire system consume 270W at max load, as designed. With that said, one reaper can rip 1 regular-size eroge per 24 hours or 4 days for larger-size one.

It's not that awesome but it will have to do.

[MENTION=3]Checkmate[/MENTION]:Sounds like you reached your scope of your design. Congratulations. Although having the temperature idle at 50°C is cutting it pretty close for all mainstream PSU. This assuming this server/system is designed to be up and running 24 hours, everyday for a year. With small down times note. Most PSU in my experiences, if it's not certified at Silver to Gold standards, the RMS of the power supplied can fluctuate or even cause damage to the system. [Note: I haven't seen many PSU in my market that was sold without that certification. This is crossed checked on the 'official/Lab Test' site to ensure they aren't blatant slapping it on without proven lab tests at 50°C]

Glad you replaced the MSI unit of the motherboard though. If it's going to do no good to your system, then it's not worthwhile to have on your system. I haven't personally used MSI though so I don't have much to say about it. I have on the other hand used Gigabyte and ASUS products for the last decade or so. I find ASUS more reliable at certain years and Gigabyte on the others. Right now personally, I don't know if I built my system right in terms of stability. Feels like there's a conflict in the system, be it old HDD vs build, due to my experiences of BSOD every so often.

Regardless, that's a better benchmark time comparing to the previous build you were on in regards to average ETA for each image ripped.

I hate Gigabyte with a passion because of their BIOS stupidity. Unfortunately, in this case, I have no viable choice. The ASUS packed too many unwanted features I never use, which then increase the cost to unbearable extent. So I went with Gigabyte again and cross fingers this time. I'm will need to take a part almost the entire setup and do again, which requires some hours before I can get up and running.

Last edited:
Yeah same here about Gigabyte BIOS features... I'm pretty sure my last tower that is now not working had massive conflict against the Gigabyte motherboard BIOS and the installed Graphics Part Unit. In less than five minutes flat, the system reboots in error due to BSOD. I haven't had the time to investigate further to find out what was the main cause of the problem since I gave up that machine 1.5 years ago. Professional had a look at it and failed to find the source of the problem. A waste of 500 USD dollars (converted amount) and the GPU was replaced by the factory due to its fails on the overclocking safety which burned out.

So now I'm stuck with ASUS until I find another brand that completes well with ASUS reliability in terms of system builds and configurations.

Hope it will work out for you this time around with Gigabyte, otherwise it's going to be a long journey ahead.

After 6 hours today, assembling the stuff together. Right after I finished it, I realize this board I have is rev 3.0. Gigabyte release revision 4.0 earlier this month to address several issue of the previous design, specifically the redesign VRM cooling and north bridge heatsink. In continous heavy-load CPU case, the VRM may be seriously overheat and throttle the CPU speed.

Am I fucked again? I hate to send in my supplier a ticket and ask them for an exchange because I'd have to take apart everything and reassemble everything AGAIN?

Second test with new motherboard shows a MASSIVE reduction in processing time, now ticking at 13.3s per image. this is a huge improvement.

Source:
http://www.techpowerup.com/186972/gigabyte-rolls-out-990fxa-ud3-rev-4.html (User comment)
https://teksyndicate.com/forum/motherboards/gigabyte-ga-990fxa-ud3-rev-30-stay-away/139832

BIOS is still crappy as usual. It's nothing new with Gigabitch.

Update: Despite of not overclocking, the system reset itself randomly whether light load or heavy load, need to investigate. Suspect it's the OS since I haven't reinstalled OS, very bad practice.

Last edited:
Honestly speaking, I would advise if you have the patience and money. Get the better revision of the board. You may hate to do the support ticket and going through all that trouble. But in the long run, you will learn that if you intend to keep that system for the next three to five years bare minimum, you want to get it right in the first place. If not, you'll have to bear with the disadvantages until then.

With that said, the improvement in timing of completion of each processing per image sounds good.

After you finish with that OS install you're going for. Consider a full load test for a couple of days to see whether it can withstand the overheat and note down any abnormalities. I still feel that if you want to have a long lasting system for the next several years, consider the revision of the board.

EDIT: So tired. Need sleep and typing posts with proper basic grammar is failing now.

UPDATE POST: Did I mention I was able to overclock hardcore for six months with a Gigabyte board before it failed hardcore and burned out my Video Card. Then when it was replaced there's some kind of error in booting up before crashing due to possibly other errors that I haven't had the time to investigate. Pretty sure something got fried or at least something needs to be replaced. This is a 24/7 running for six months not on full load, [alright it was on full load more often than not], and with a rest in-between every 3 to 7 days.

So really consider that revision if you're going to do the same thing as I did.

jxa98nQEL.png

need to chill and recollect what I should do next

/Off-Topic/ So where did that girl come from? Any anime references or Visual Novels I should take note of for this one?

/Off-Topic/ So where did that girl come from? Any anime references or Visual Novels I should take note of for this one?

I am hoping he makes that into a sticker for the case of the server :)
I am somewhat considering getting that done for my case, as some companies make a full case sticker for ya witht he vent holes etc in it ready

Note that 50C is at load. Not idle. Character is Shirley Warwick from Amairo Islenauts

No, I don't plan to make stickers because I keep taking this apart

Note that 50C is at load. Not idle. Character is Shirley Warwick from Amairo Islenauts

No, I don't plan to make stickers because I keep taking this apart

That's pretty cool machine temperature if that your system at load. I haven't tested that on my current system but the other one I think was about 60 Degrees Celsius in Standard Laboratory Temperature.

Ah okay, I should of phased it that when the Room Temperature reaches 50 Degree Celsius, most poorly made PSU tend to fluctuate more and cause the RMS to be lower than advertised. I don't see many reviews or reports about PSU being tested at high room temperature conditions while running a benchmark that forces the system to be under heavy stress. Could of typed that post better or even post later when I was more awake about the system you're building.

Personally I did the test for the OC machine I had under the Summer heat that had a room temperature of close to 40 or more degree Celsius. Pretty sure all the parts inside was under a lot of heat stress so I stopped the test after seeing some parts temperature being monitored reaching around 70 to 80 degree Celsius or more. Pretty sure people mentioned that's still safe but wasn't comfortable seeing those temperatures in a Summer Season for a computer.

/Off-Topic/

Ah the game is going to be released this month on schedule. Didn't notice until I search it up on a database. Wonder I should wrap up two visual novels to fit this one in my next to be complete list.

Well, I'm waiting for another GPU (Radeon 7770) since the current one isn't working correctly with Adobe CC. After that, I'll reinstall windows and see if it BSOD or not.

God damn my fingers almost burn when I touch the VRM heatsink, it must be around 90 Celcius but I misplace my infrared gun and can't find it, so I can't really measure the temp. I will find it sometimes later and check the temp

My PC room is always temperature stable at 20-21C all time (day or night, winter or summer) the fact that it is underground and has a climate control system.

So far this build, even though laid out carefully, went through several revisions and modifications (3 times now) This is bad :( I haven't really done this before (revise the hardware more than 3 times)

Last edited:
Really, I agree on your statement that you need to find your infrared gun. Feel lucky that you only got at worse a first degree burn from a 100 Degree Celsius or under burn. I experience a first to second degree burn once and it was painful. Lost the first layer of skin and almost the second. But seriously, I would usually leave the heat sink alone for a while before even considering opening that thing. It takes a lot of heat in and disperse it via surround air flow from your system.

Never knew your PC room was underground, but if it maintains that temperature level, then it's safe to say that it shouldn't ever reach 60 Degree Celsius unless you forget to clean your system out every three to six months.

Well things are looking grim but think it this way. At least you going to learn these things you should and shouldn't do. We are forever learning and it's just part of the way things are. Pretty sure the thing you want to take note of is to always check up a review before purchasing any parts that been out at least three months.

Sounds like you plan to keep the Rev. 3 Motherboard. I don't know, I feel that if you can get a replacement for almost for free from the factory then it's kind of worth investigating and investing time into. If not, it's up to you to decide how you want to work with your current system. Lately a lot motherboards and parts are going through under a few revisions every season or more. It almost as if they have the customers and reviewers do the Quality Assurance instead of their own team.

Exchanging the Mainboard is a haywire process, it may around 2 weeks, plus countless hours to resetup. Basically, if you change mainboard, you almost redo the setup all over again. I want to avoid this situation as much as possible.

That's true. I guess on top of it, it can wear the parts connectors out if it keeps getting removed and added on the motherboard. Not sure how durable they are now days comparing to the past. Guess you will see how the set up performance and stuff after you're done with all the installation and benchmarking again. Not sure where you up to now on your setup.

...Not sure where you up to now on your setup.

Messy.jpg
The two ReaperS can be seen from the top right corner. The rest are... ... well, as you saw...

I've received the two final revised part: 9265-8i with CacheCade Pro 2.0 and FastPath, and AMD Radeon 7770

Gotta wipe the system out, reinstall windows, re-evaluate the stability

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

How to Start a NEMT Business in Idaho?

Discover the essential steps and regulations for launching a Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) business in Idaho, from licensing to operational setup, ensuring compliance and success in the healthcare transportation industry.

Read More: https://medium.com/@nemtclouddispatchsoftware/how-to-start-a-nemt-business-in-idaho-45cd46c150ee
mozzamezo wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please re upload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01177568.html/?locale=en_US

Thanks in Advance
coolguy12346789 wrote on Shine's profile.
Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, can you update this? New version fix the character skin chage bug. This bug will cause you can't interactive with anything.
hc1992 wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
RJ315563 RJ327273 RJ367842 links were dead, please could you reupload these?