Linux Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramen

Jun 1, 2011
Let's discuss all things linux!

I usually run kubuntu or SUSE. I am currently putting together a machine to be my main linux rig. It is only a core 2 duo with 2gigs of DDR ram. I might take an old AGP card to slap in it for a while. I don't need it to game.

I don't have much experience with linux systems, however I tend to mess with them from time to time. Basically I can get by on one although I still have problems that require a bit of forum searching.

I'm planning on at some point this year building a home server in which I plan on using Ubuntu server edition on it. Going to basically dabble with it a bit and learn from it hopefully.

I'm also going to use the box for encoding purposes as I've been reading up on this lately.

Also I tend to check different linux systems out via a virtual PC. Right now I'm messing with Chakra but I haven't spent much time on it thus far.

Hmmm, hard to say, I only use Linux for very specific purposes, mostly down to data-transfer and automated/dedicated encoding box (though, cumbersome. The only reason I'd think of using it would be to have a website serving video like you-tube. The encoding box would be serve as a dedicated encoder, so the website performance won't be effected.)

Data-transfer related could be hosting, seedbox, etc... except mass file storage (although linux is capable of doing so)

For filestorage, I opt for ZFS supported OS, FreeBSD for example or OpenSolaris and its variants (nexenta/nexentastor, FreeNAS, etc...)

Well I use linux for very special purpose especially if I cannot do it in Windows (like deleting special !@#$ folder because of viruses, backup some protected folder, open protected folder, etc). Primary I use Scilinux (varian of redhat (before) altough now much more powerful) and slackware, maybe later will try backtrack

Long time Linux user here :3. Was a huge Suse fanboy up until the release of kde 4.0 (ruined everything IMO). Currently running a LAN file server under Ubuntu 10.10 (because unity destroyed the gui in 11.04+). Also rocking backtrack 5 on my netbook for teh Lulz :D.

anybody use gentoo? I was planning on using it on my laptop since windows is F***ed over.

I`m a "refugee from Windows". Before I permanently switched to Gentoo I tried few distributions. Among other things, Ubuntu. In each of them, however I missed something ... This was not it.

Only Gentoo has fulfilled all my expectations (I use it since July):) It depends only on me fast, trouble-free configuration, stability and convenience of use. Gentoo provides it all. Even with a stage1 installation is long and confusing (and I conducted just such a - leaving a computer on the night). Within two "approaches" (night of the bootstrap and emerge system on the rest day) I received a fully adjusted to my system. Almost nothing I was doomed:) Everything compiles the sources and I think that the it is not in any way burdensome. As a rule this is done only once, you can also do it in the background, during ordinary operation.

I admit that I have tried 10GB of software code (with a tilde is my collection in / usr / portage / distfiles /), and never complained about the wait. Everything lasts so briefly that one can get used to it.

With a little willingness, installation (with a great manual - basically it boils down to rewrite the command), and later use is extremely simple (I'm sure, for me, easier and more convenient than in Ubuntu).

A huge advantage for me is the system user community. Many times I met with the arrogance of Linux users (I admit, with quite a long time ago, and now is unlikely to meet this) - but never among Gentoo users. Always helpful and willing to spend much time on helping the needy:)

If you want the system, in which all the installation work immediately, if you do not want to have (in 99% of cases), problems with configuration ... This is the system for you.

Use what works. Over my years as a tech/admin I've found the following co-relation to be quite true:

Linux = Great if you are in for running Web Servers, IP PBXes, File Storage and very light weight networking applications (This means your edge routers and gateways) on the low side of things. Stability? Sure, if you had a contract with Red Hat... maybe... Documentation wise, yeah, lots... But are most of them right? ;)

Windows = Rock Solid... Only if you knew what you were doing and aren't screwing with the system. I've personally administered a few Windows Server 2003 boxes that has been online for... oh... probably 6 months before requiring a reboot for system updates. Documentation wise, Windows is quite well documented by Microsoft about the behavior of the operating system and processes. Go search up on the Windows boot process under TechNet... I'm sure you'll find pages and pages on how it works.

FreeBSD = Haven't spent too much time in there, but according to my older colleagues, they say it's a lot closer to UNIX, unlike Linux which they still see it as a hacked up UNIX like operating system.

Solaris = Your only choice for running high performance SPARC systems. No questions asked there. Much closer to the UNIX SystemV R4 than the other unices out there.

Sure, I'm gonna get flamed for my first statement of Linux, but hey, what it is is what it does. And I personally care less.

I've tinkered with Solaris, Ubuntu, SuSe, Red Hat, Fedora and BSD. I used SuSe (Novell edition) for awhile, but replaced it with Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu as my main Linux system.

My only problem, like all other linux systems is the security measures. I have to over-ride the system with a permanent "Sudo" so I can be admin. on my system on not be barred from changing certain files when I need to.

I dislike Windows :P I use it for certain games not on console, (I do need it for school too) but when I rebuild my desktop, I'm getting Linux back on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?
dohuni wrote on UFO's profile.
Hello. Could you reupload the version 2.0 of this game? RJ310786 thanks.
DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi Shine,

[190912][Excite engine] RPGでゲーム進行に関わりなくNPCをエッチどころかディープなSMまでしちゃうゲーム [RJ264801]

Could you please Reup the above game?
Thanks.