I don't understand how to use AGTH or ITH with and .ISO file, please help?

catcharm

Oct 26, 2013
I hope I posted this in the right section, if not I apologizes! Anyway, I'm really new to the whole otome game playing. I downloaded a game and now I have it in .iso format so that I can use it with PPSSPP. And it works and it's totally cool except I don't understand japanese and I have no idea what's written on screen. So i looked up these two tools so that I can read the subtitles but they both ask me to insert the file location of the game (that's on my desktop, I thought it'd be easier to find) that should end in .exe :( for example, AGTH asks to insert the target field of the game which should be in .exe format but mine's in .iso and I really don't know what to do! :( I read all the tutorials for both AGTH and ITH but they don't even mention this kind of thing so I'm guessing it's so obvious and silly that it's not worth mentioning. So I'm feeling pretty dumb at the moment. I'b be eternally grateful if anyone could explain exactly what I need to do!

Reactions: Aki2
As of now you cannot hook PSP game using any hooker, including AGTH. Please stick to PC version (if any)

Thank you for clearing that up, it was driving me crazy! I guess I'll just need to learn japanese! :)

i tell u u need to learn al little jappanese at least.....since i am a beginner myself i cant be much of a help but after u know the letters of each alphabet u can use the game in ppsspp and word pad in ur comp. and agh to know how to read since u wont know words from the start and u u need ofcource to have japanesse language in ur comp to write with,
i tried to have some vocab to start with but i wasnt patient enough thou i tell u this way is fun and easy way to learn thou u may want to start with a pc game with ith and agh to know the alphabet and how to pronunce

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually studying chinese and japanese in uni at the moment, so far I've learned the hiragana syllabary and soon (hopefully) we'll start katana! It's gonna be tough learning all those words but I'll try my best! :)

good luck :D :D :D
personally i am learning just to be able to play :P :P :P

I've got the exact same problem you have! Most of the VNs I want to play are either PSP or NDS games. And because I cant waste 300 bucks on one game including shipping,tolls etc and another 300-400 bucks for a PSP and NDS I got some roms online. They run perfectly on the emulators Desmune and PPSSPP (depending on the game type of course). But I still haven't found a way to use AGTH/ITH and ATLAS along with it. And I'd really need that. The kanjis are too difficult to read in the fonts used and often too tiny. So if you don't already know them and recognize them in the given context you're f***** without AGTH/ITH.Isn't there any way to make that available for emulation? Maybe somehow mounting it with Daemon Tools? :/

Actually, there is this program called Capture2Text,
combined with AGTH and ITH you could use it to translate any games
BUT - it's really limited because it works by analyzing the images to find a words - since it's japanese word the results will be 70% messed up.
There are people who used this program to play trick or alice, because that game uses flash so they can't use AGTH and ITH
---- I think if you play psp games using emulator on pc, the kanji will be too small to capture...
Yet, I don't really know...
I'm sorry I can't provide you with more information...
Maybe you could find something if you googled =)

ps: My japanese is self learning too, and yes it's better to learn japanese for playing games because all those translation program couldn't do much help...

Thanks a lot for your answer chiru! In the end it seems to be a dead-end one-way street trying to use AGTH/ATLAS and emulate at the same time. But I'm not really sure if it makes sense to buy a PSP or NDS considering that the otome games I'd like to play do not work on the consoles bought here in Europe. So I'd also have to get one from Japan and that'd mean a ridiculous amount of tolls,fees and shipping costs. And that I can't afford. Thanks for mentioning C2T. I actually tried that on some manga (but failed terribly so I totally forgot about that). I'll try using it on the games again, thanks! And yes..the kanji really are terribly small. And they often use confusing fonts, which make it even harder to recognize anything. I'd need a "show kana" option in otome games and everything would be set. :P What JLPT level approximately do you think is the least one needs to be able to play the games without AGTH and co? Using the dictionary is fine for me in general but having to check up every word hardly leaves any fun to the game itself, I guess...I'm studying Japanese alongside my normal studies for 3 hrs/week at university.I'm in the 3rd semester of learning Japanese so far. We're using the Genki book..We just reached the last unit of it. My problem is that our teacher doesn't care that much about us using kanji but focuses more on grammar and vocabulary. So when I see the kanji texts in otome games I feel a bit scared ^^;; I'm writing the JLPT N5 this December. I maybe could have done N4 but I wanted to be 100% sure I don't fail (costs so much to participate ._. ) so I took the N5. So my level might be close to N4 but especially lacking in kanji...

i dont think u need to buy psp to play nor a DS there is an emulator called PPSSPP that work just fine if doesnt just play a little in its sittings and it will be as good for DS these is DESMUME it also works good . if u want to play on psp i dont think u need a japanese psp to play u can get the game patched from a website i know or u can just patch it your self there was a guide here on how to patch games so it will work on the psp u buy

as for me even though i have a PSP i prefer the emulator because it has an option to make the size of the game screen bigger as u said due to the strange fonts they use i think this is helpful to me :D :D

as for the last thing that is learning japanese im also a biggener in it i used wordpad with TA and a japanese to english website that has kanji in radecal form
and just right the text down and copy it it might be hard in the biggening not knowing the radicals and all but by doing this now i do understand what alot of the things said without translation and u will learn vocab AND KANJI naturally
also i sugest u start with something simple not historical and all as for the first thing i played was brothers conflict now im playing uta no prince sama which i think on the same lvl there is also glass heart princess and amenisa

Thanks. :) I also figured that games like DiaLovers or Sangoku Rensenki definitely aren't made for beginners.The knaji for -tachi and boku etc already irritate me. They are always written in hiragana or katakana even in my Japanese book so at first I was like "Oh my gosh...what is that kanji?! Doens't make sense at all!".Then add some slang or "historical" language and I'm doomed. ^^;; I tried Capture2Text yesterday and it did (at least in comparison to AGTH) work with emulation. It could decipher some kanjis.But in the end I still have a lot to look up searching for radicals etc.. But oh well..Otome games are so amazing...simply makes you want to learn Japanese! <3

Thanks a lot for your answer chiru! In the end it seems to be a dead-end one-way street trying to use AGTH/ATLAS and emulate at the same time. But I'm not really sure if it makes sense to buy a PSP or NDS considering that the otome games I'd like to play do not work on the consoles bought here in Europe. So I'd also have to get one from Japan and that'd mean a ridiculous amount of tolls,fees and shipping costs. And that I can't afford. Thanks for mentioning C2T. I actually tried that on some manga (but failed terribly so I totally forgot about that). I'll try using it on the games again, thanks! And yes..the kanji really are terribly small. And they often use confusing fonts, which make it even harder to recognize anything. I'd need a "show kana" option in otome games and everything would be set. :P What JLPT level approximately do you think is the least one needs to be able to play the games without AGTH and co? Using the dictionary is fine for me in general but having to check up every word hardly leaves any fun to the game itself, I guess...I'm studying Japanese alongside my normal studies for 3 hrs/week at university.I'm in the 3rd semester of learning Japanese so far. We're using the Genki book..We just reached the last unit of it. My problem is that our teacher doesn't care that much about us using kanji but focuses more on grammar and vocabulary. So when I see the kanji texts in otome games I feel a bit scared ^^;; I'm writing the JLPT N5 this December. I maybe could have done N4 but I wanted to be 100% sure I don't fail (costs so much to participate ._. ) so I took the N5. So my level might be close to N4 but especially lacking in kanji...

Hello ^^ ah i never had formal Japanese lesson and depend 70% on my ears when I play otome games. Screw the kanji, I will repeat what they say over and over until I get it. lol. I have peeked through the JLPT kanji list I think you should take at least N3? :reallyconfused: it's really complicated. >_<
Well, illegaly speaking you could play otome games in nds and psp - since those two is not region locked by hacking the software. That way you don't need to buy any games just play the download one. It's really hard for me to obtained those original games ^^ because I can't directly shipped here. I need to depend on my relatives in Japan to bring me those games everytime they visit. If you want some easy otome games, maybe you could try starry sky series first, it may be boring but it's pretty good and tokimeki memorial girl's side on NDS. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha
Irish99 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi if you get time can you reupload this please.
dfree wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Saw you posted this recently. Do you have any other works by Snow3d (especially the "Female Agents: The boy" series) that you don't mind sharing as well?