How is windows 8.1 eroge compatibility when compared to windows 7 ?

strike105x

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2018
Hi i'm debating whether to go with Windows 8.1 or stay with Windows 7, and the main thing that concerns me about it is if the compability with eroge, especially older eroge is just as good as with windows 7, that is why i posted here, if its worse please specify some examples or why.

Right of the bat i have one request though: PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST WINDOWS 10! Same for Linux Btw... (i am considering in the far away future, the posibility of linux plus a hardware accelerated/passthrough VM, but that is a story for another time when i'll actually have that much time to invest in such a huge change)

If your curious why i want nothing to do with windows 10:

-its because of some hardware incompatibilities (like my soundcard and a USB 3.0 expansion card).
-Incompatiblity with some things i use
-general issues and instability due to updates.

And for those curious why i want to install windows 8.1 despite some of its irregularities (like the bad design and focus on apps), its because of:

-full DX 11 features (some of the latest DX 11 instruction sets/updates are missing from windows 7, that's why some emulators like dolphin & PCSX2 don't work with the DX GPU plugin on 7)
-despite its bad design, performance wise and stability wise i do feel like its a step up from windows 7.

Thank you in advance!

Use 7 and Relax. For old game you anyways need Win Xp-98-95-Dos.
Forget add need use VirtualBox,vmware etc. :)
-
P.S Update my 6-8 years old Win7Jp to Win 10Jp (keep old files) all work fine.
P.P.S about Win8 dont like how look menu.
P.P.P.S and You need install Win10 for DirectX12. if you want playing in new games.
P.P.P.P.S One more good think about Win7 You dont need worry about Buggi Update like Microsoft created again and again for Win10 (that happened because Microsoft Closet test live program and now use virtual tests system) not alive ppl.

Last edited:
Use 7 and Relax. For old game you anyways need Win Xp-98-95-Dos.
Yeah i do know about that, i wish there was a proper translation software that didn't just rely on atlas that i could get working with a VM XP...
P.S Update my 6-8 years old Win7Jp to Win 10Jp (keep old files) all work fine.
In that case your one of the very lucky few, my initial upgrade from win7EN to win10EN pretty messed up...
But with a new install windows 10 worked fine until (and including) the anniversary update, starting with the creators update each update broke either my windows install or compatibility with my hardware.
P.P.S about Win8 dont like how look menu.
Neither do i, but while i haven't used it for a while it was a solid OS, more stable and a better performer when compared to 7,also luckly classic shell can at least fix the startmenu, we have some PC's (all similar or the same hardware), it just that some come with windows 7, some with 8.1 and some with windows 10, despite looking ugly does running windows 8.1 run the best to be honest.
P.P.P.S and You need install Win10 for DirectX12. if you want playing in new games.

I'm not talking about Direct X 12, i'm talking about Direct X 11.2, 7 only has DirectX 11.0, windows 8 came with DirectX 11.1 and windows 8.1 came with DirectX 11.2, games don't realy use its feature set (expect 1 or 2 games i think), but with Gamecube/Wii & PS2 emulation they use DX11.2 not DX11.0
P.P.P.P.S One more good think about Win7 You dont need worry about Buggi Update like Microsoft created again and again for Win10 (that happened because Microsoft Closet test live program and now use virtual tests system) not alive ppl.

Yeah as i said before ever since the Creator's update windows 10 has been a nightmare for me.

Last edited:
Install both, 7 and 8, and 10 if want. 11.02 ?, on Win 7x64 always work fine any Emu.

Nope your probably mixing up things with when it did work or your using very old version of those emulators, PCSX2 for instance dropped win 7 support almost an year ago:

https://pcsx2.net/295-q2-2020-progress-report.html

Dolphin hasn't dropped complete support for windows 7, but its DirectX GPU plugin uses DirectX 11.2 features, and that doesn't work on windows 7, because Nvidia dropped the ball and UbberShaders don't work properly on Vulkan or OpenGL your stuck in an annoying situation if you want that feature on windows 7.

That site is shifty as hell, the web installer points toward the the MS DirectX installer that of course does not install anything since for windows 7 it detects it already has the latest which for windows 7 is DirectX 11.0, as for the so called "offline installer" its nothing more then a zip file containing an audio file and an excel zip type file. Well at least its no down right malware...
-
And i have good update because i always clean and del garbage.
-
Nope you have a "good update" because either your not noticing the any issues, or your one of the lucky ones. Just because i have issues with windows 10 doesn't mean that everyone has, the same is true in reverse just because everything works fine for you it doesn't mean it works fine for others.
You? just Feared Win10 because fear of bugs? Okay, your choise. I Just wait before install update, before other test it :) And, you always can uninstall update, now.
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/computer-acting-up-how-to-uninstall-a-windows-10-update

I don't fear it, never did, however i do down right HATE windows 10 at this point, and i have a good reason to be sceptic since ever since the creators update with each feature update or a more significant one something either broke or didn't work right.

==================================================================

Though honestly why am i still debating all of this ?
Its completely offtopic I asked a simple question, how good is compatibility between windows 8.1 and visual novels when compared to windows 7.

To all reading this please kindly address that question or feel free to skip this thread entirely, the next posts telling me to upgrade to windows 10 or that do not address the compatibility will be reported as either offtopic or trolling.

Its completely offtopic I asked a simple question, how good is compatibilitybetween windows 8.1 and visual novels when compared to windows 7.
-
Compatibility Depend from game Engine, Example BlackRainbows games work fine Before Microsoft Create Sp1 for Win7 and change protection (UAC), games stop work, and other who use same engine or protection method too. But all work fine if you use Win7 without update. For that i just Run VirtualBox and WinXpSp3JpOrig.
Most of game work fine in 8, Win10 same, 70% Work, 10% dont because Protection change, 15% because need Win 98-95-Dos, and ~5% were small amount dont work because use special Drivers for Spec Os, stupid rare game protection. I Just Use WinXPJp.
-
Install 7 - 8 - 8.1 any you want You already choose for yourself.
-
I always use 2 system, 1 (Win 10) for every day, one Win7Sp2Jp before now win10Jp.
--
And you Terribly historical person. That conversation Really need end. Just funny wath.
---
P.S
And dont worry I dont read that thread again, sleep tight :)

Its completely offtopic I asked a simple question, how good is compatibilitybetween windows 8.1 and visual novels when compared to windows 7.
-
Compatibility Depend from game Engine, Example BlackRainbows games work fine Before Microsoft Create Sp1 for Win7 and change protection (UAC), games stop work, and other who use same engine or protection method too. But all work fine if you use Win7 without update. For that i just Run VirtualBox and WinXpSp3JpOrig.
Most of game work fine in 8, Win10 same, 70% Work, 10% dont because Protection change, 15% because need Win 98-95-Dos, and ~5% were small amount dont work because use special Drivers for Spec Os, stupid rare game protection. I Just Use WinXPJp.
-
Install 7 - 8 - 8.1 any you want You already choose for yourself.
-
I always use 2 system, 1 (Win 10) for every day, one Win7Sp2Jp before now win10Jp.
--
And you Terribly historical person. That conversation Really need end. Just funny wath.
---
P.S
And dont worry I dont read that thread again, sleep tight :)

Sorry that came out to aggressive there, i was really tired when i posted that, also i asked this question in another place and its mostly full of just telling me to upgrade... being tired and annoyed that almost nobody properly responded made me jump the gun a bit so i'm sorry if i was to disrespectful towards you.
Information about windows 8.1 and VN compatibility is scarce, back when i also used it as my main OS i wasn't that much into VN's so i can't use my experience with the OS as a basis.
The thing is I just want to gather some information to know if for me its worth investing time to test a windows 8.1 enviroment or to cross it off completely. Basically i got three scenarios to play with:

1-Keep using Windows 7, give up on DX 11.2 features and DX12 (DX12 ain't such an issue as i can only think of 2 PC western games that use it and i care about, DX11.2 though is kind of irritating as emulation is pretty significant for me...)
2-Windows 8.1 as an option if compatibility is just as good as Windows 7 SP2 since DX11.2 might make it worth it, also the bad interface can be fixed to some extent
3-Windows 10 Ammeliorated (a version that removes updating and all of the backdoors MS has in place) + Win7 VM while trying to do some hardware changes where needed, since as i said i have some hardware now that doesn't play well with windows 10

Right now i'm a bit sceptic towards wasting time on testing 2 since i might need a VM anyway which makes me think i'd better just skip to 3 as i am tempted to test what i said at 3 if the VM can provide a decent performance and experience with VN's

BTW you mentioned you use a "WinXpSp3JpOrig" VM, to run some eroge, may i ask do you know japanese or are you also using some translation software ? If your using translation software within the VM i'd be very curious about your configuration.

EDIT: also on my end i could never get the VirtualBox guest additions to work properly on the JP version of either windows 7 or windows xp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

umi131 wrote on Shine's profile.
リクエスト
これのアートCGをお願いします。
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01166080.html/?locale=pt_BR
dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?
dohuni wrote on UFO's profile.
Hello. Could you reupload the version 2.0 of this game? RJ310786 thanks.
If you don't have a file, can you let me know?