First Sign of AMD's Radeon HD8000 Series Found in Catalyst Drivers

Uninstall

NO MORE HIROSHIMA
Elite Member
Apr 5, 2012
The latest BETA version of Catalyst drivers reveal the codenames of upcoming APUs and also Radeon HD 8000 GPUs. Ironically, no all of them does refer to Islands names. Previous information was that Radeon HD 8000 series will be named Sea Islands. There were also rumors that it would be named after Canary Islands or Central Islands and so on. But a leaked slide does prove that it’s actually Sea Islands. Does this fit to the naming from the driver? Ask yourself: Is Mars or Venus an Island? Well, at least Öland is.

Link to article

Man, if this is legit, I do feel bad for 7970 owners. That card was released, like, when? Less than a year ago?
This line better have AMD step it up a level, I'm curious for your opinion (*´∀`*)

Will nVidia drop the nVidia 7xx series on Kepler??

Wow... Seems they're really going on the offensive with their new GPUs. I remember reading some slides showing their roadmap, which highlighted the new HSA GPUs only for 2014. I'm quite curious about this new architecture, but still didn't read enough about it.

The Kepler architecture provides good (gaming) performance, low power consumption and nice features in regard to hybrid computing with the Dynamic Parallelism and Hyper-Q features, but I heard its performance is quite lower than HD 7970 in OpenCL applications (being worse even than Fermi in 64-bit double precision operations). NVIDIA still has some work to do if they plan on using Kepler for their next generation of graphics hardware.

Hmmm well how about the GK110 chips?
It's not a consumer chip right?

Because I doubt Maxwell will come anytime soon

You're right. As of now, GK110 is supposed to back up their new generation of Tesla GPUs, only for "high performance computing" purposes, but it may indeed come as a new model in the 7xx series. Maxwell GPUs are apparently expected for 2014... I wonder if this is the first step on finally getting rid of our x86 processors and their ridiculously complex instruction sets. xD
Windows 8 already supports the ARM architecture, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread