File Name too long and can't rename it

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatoriTakaya

Destiny Awaits.
Elite Member
Nov 20, 2011
Hey guys,

Thought I will bring this up here since I can't seem to find a way to get around it. As the topic clearly mentions my problem, I'll restate in more details.

Currently, I can not move or copy the files that has exceeded the file naming conventions for Windows Operating System. No idea how GirlCelly was able to get around it but it's from this torrent below.

[090319] [ユニゾンシフト:ブロッサム] Flyable Heart 予約キャンペーン初回限定プレミアム版 + Tokuten + OST + Drama CD + Update [No DVD Patch is included] [H-Game] [Request]

Now if you download it, you'll notice the file naming for the Western Window 7 characters exceeds it. When you right click on the file, it will not give you the open to rename it. This actually puts me in a bind since it doesn't allow me to extract it and so forth. The only thing I can think of is to use another operating system to get around it and hopefully rename it over in that side.

Ideas on what I can do on Window 7 can rename the file without the use of Linux/Ubunto (if it will work for this case)?

Not sure if this will help but maybe rename the folder where the file is in to one letter (g, x, etc) so that the path will be shorter

Reactions: HatoriTakaya
Have you tried extracting it straight to the desktop or C Drive for shortest file name paths.
Also could always try renaming the file before you try to extract it as well to 1 letter which does help out as well.
and just keep repeating the process until you have all the files out.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. It actually had no options within the Window Explorer Options to copy the file via keyboard shortcut or right clicking it.

I'll try these options and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure I've done most of these suggested.
  1. F2 (Rename) and Right Click Rename does not work
  2. Moving to Root Drive Does not Work
  3. Cut and Copying Function Incurs Error
  4. Folder Name Shortening did not work. Technically. Folder in Use or something like that is going on. I'll do a restart and try it in a couple of hours time. Got something going on which take that much time.
  5. Drag and Drop failed. Dragging and Dropping outside of the downloaded folder failed and trying to send it to another location like desktop failed.

This is one of the file name is like:
(18禁ゲーム) [090319] [ユニゾンシフト:ブロッサム] Flyable Heart 予約キャンペーン初回限定プレミアム版 特典 UNISONSHIFT:BLOSSOM NOIZI SELECTION (mdf+mds rr3%).rar

Last edited:
You can also try the program Unlocker. I also had the problem a few weeks before (yeah, also with a game) and I renamed the folder with Unlocker. I had to restart after entering the new folder name, but it worked.

Thanks to everyone who gave a submission of ideas on what to do and how to get past the naming convention to resolve the issue of file to long and to rename or move files. In the end I've used the CMD Prompt to complete the action. I had a look at unlocker and will keep a note on it when I want to use that program for more extreme cases where CMD would not work normally.

I believe moving the files under CMD would work too due to the way the system re-index the files under file tree it produces per New File Table System. Thanks again everyone.

This is considered solved for me. Of course it can remain open for other people to discuss if it's relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

sswwwwss wrote on UFO's profile.
Hi, would you reupload the dead links for 幻想生物図鑑 series, especially with their html? I can't find them anywhere.
Also, do you happen to have older works from this series? Those works that don't even appear on offical site anymore.
Many thanks.
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Btw, considering you have this, does that mean you have access to this one too? Just asking.

『角折魔王エリスの再生譚』体験版
DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi Shine,

https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/201010-なぎり屋-叔母を貪る夜-ver23-03-27-rj302585.1298225/

Can you please Reup this?
Thanks as always for the good work.
Enemond17 wrote on Shine's profile.
神具姫ヒーローアンチド could you please reupload this? thanks