Double OS

alexsdu

Mein 3D Waifu
Elite Member
Nov 29, 2010
So...there was I, helping formatting my friend's laptop, an Acer Aspire 5050 series.

To cut story short, I accidentally installed 2 Windows XP Pro OS into it.
Is there any way to delete one of the OS without having to reformat it again?

Hey Alex,

I don't know how to remove one XP pro without reformatting...But I know how to get the computer to boot with just one OS.

You can go into the boot loader.ini file (just right click on the "my computer" option in the start menu and hit "properties". Then go to: Advanced --> Startup and Recov. --> Settings. Then just hit the "edit" button under the system startup section. Then you can manually remove whichever OS string you want.

1.JPG

Or you can simply just back up whatever you need, then delete all partitions created by the installation and reformat the drive.

Reactions: alexsdu
So...there was I, helping formatting my friend's laptop, an Acer Aspire 5050 series.

To cut story short, I accidentally installed 2 Windows XP Pro OS into it.
Is there any way to delete one of the OS without having to reformat it again?

For future reference, make a separate partition for the OS next time you install it. That way you can format the OS partition while retaining the data that is on a separate partition, saving you time and well data in the process.

For the Double OS problem, just save the important data on a external drive if you have one or burn it on a DVD then format it. It's better to have a clean laptop than have problems later on that the user may have due to inconsistencies of the current situation. I would imagine that now days laptops would have a maximum of 2 TB and a minimum of 500 GB. Just save yourself the trouble of encountering future problems by doing a clean installation after backing your precious data.

Thanks, mate. I'll do that.
It's just that I'm kinda lazy to reinstall OS.
The laptop got some serious issue, it can't detect mouse, so I had to use the touchpad. And now, the touchpad not functioning and so does the keyboard - during Windows setting.
FYI, before I post this topic, I've reinstalled the Windows like 4 times, b'coz of the touchpad & keyboard problem.

What was the original OS of the laptop? Usually from what I remember, there should be a hidden partition that carries all the laptop drivers and original OS, in case it needs to be reinstalled. With that said, I only have a Toshiba and Levono on me at the moment as a laptop. I assume that the laptop has it own drivers to make it work.

Give me a hour or two to research your laptop. I'm sure there was a Window XP all-in-one drivers installation CD. If there's a driver CD that came with the laptop, try using it. If you're experienced in Linux, try booting it off a USB key in the meantime to see if the keyboard or mouse works there.

ATTENTION:

Can you please try go into Safe Mode from the boot-up screen with the F8 key and check if the touch pad and keyboard works. It will help determine if there's a hidden issue at fault via the drivers.

Last edited:
The laptop was kinda old, so he don't have the installation disc that were came along with the laptop. So I use an Windows installation disc from other Acer computer, that can be use on any Acer PC/laptop.

Anyway, I've backup all the important files, and formatted the whole HDD(it got 2 partitions).
I guess the safer way is to format and reinstall the OS, considering how screwed the laptop already have.

*I never like laptop.

Alright, use the smaller partition (hopefully it has 40 GB or more as a OS partition) to install the OS. If it's Window XP then it'll do, window 7 usually heavier in terms of load on your model most likely. Once you have completed your installation of the OS, there's numerous way to debug the problem. It's probably best to test each one out to see where the true problem lies.

This link talks how the laptop battery may be the cause:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1085712-problem_acer_aspire_5050_touchpad_not

In short:

1) Followed the acer website link and downloaded the appropriate keypad drivers by looking for Aspire 5050 (5050 is the model)
(Try the main site and see if they have your model drivers. If not, you can try this one: http://driverscollection.com/?H=Aspire 5050&By=ACER)

2) Put it on a pin drive.

2.5) Unplugged the acer 5050 battery and still allowed the power cord to be plugged in (in effort to save time)

3) booted the acer 5050 laptop and kept hitting F8 to go into safe mode

4) logged into safe mode as 'Admin' and ran the setup from the drivers after inserting the pin drive.

5) shutdown windows

6) plugged the battery back in, turned the power on, everything works fine.

Second reason could be particular updates are interfering your laptop operations. But for now, let's try the drivers and battery approach to solve the problem.

Here's another site with a collection of drivers.
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/Aspire_5050/get71493.html

Please scan it for viruses and check it for malware before installing anything.

Last edited:
Wow, to think that all these problem came from the battery. Totally mind boggling.
I thought it was some software problem, but never thought that the battery was the culprit.
Thanks.:smooch:

Well it's too early to celebrate. Just make sure the culprit is the battery and if it is... well at least it has been solved. If there's any more problems or it's not the battery fault, just reply in the same thread and I'll see if I am able to assist you in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

dragonhearts wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hello, Thank you for uploading the previous request. I am collecting the works of サークル 4's Circle. This and This All links are dead. If you have any data, can I ask you to re-upload it?
a46392157 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi,can you reup this to mexa plz?
dohuni wrote on UFO's profile.
Hello. Could you reupload the version 2.0 of this game? RJ310786 thanks.
DarkSniper wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi Shine,

[190912][Excite engine] RPGでゲーム進行に関わりなくNPCをエッチどころかディープなSMまでしちゃうゲーム [RJ264801]

Could you please Reup the above game?
Thanks.