DMM DRM issues

Hunter Rose

Trusted Member
Apr 28, 2014
I bought a game from DMM, taking advantage of their English translation pages. Very handy!

Up to a point...

My game requires the use of the SoftDenchi DRM utility. The e-mail that confirmed my purchase was not translated to English and did not contain instructions on how to set it up. (I unzipped the file and ran the installer. It seems to work and provides me a utility that will allow me to enter a 5 part 'charge code' or 'member login' which I presume validates with DMM.com.) The help files are not translated and lead me in circles, either returning me to the main help topics page or telling me 'that page is not available in your region'. This is also the response I receive after attempting to fill in a support query, so I don't think they'll ever see my question.

From what I can piece together from google-translated pages, there is a shortened User ID which I should use in place of the e-mail address I use to log in to DMM. All well and good, but when I enter this and my DMM password into SoftDenchi, the response is "Fail to login (11802)."

My game is useless. I don't know how to contact DMM support as I doubt they read the mailbox that sends out order confirmations.

My two guesses are that either they are supposed to send me some credentials in a separate e-mail and I just need to be patient, or... maybe my password is too long (16 characters) and needs to be shortened.

Can anyone clue me in on this? Thanks!

I bought a game from DMM, taking advantage of their English translation pages. Very handy!

Up to a point...

My game requires the use of the SoftDenchi DRM utility. The e-mail that confirmed my purchase was not translated to English and did not contain instructions on how to set it up. (I unzipped the file and ran the installer. It seems to work and provides me a utility that will allow me to enter a 5 part 'charge code' or 'member login' which I presume validates with DMM.com.) The help files are not translated and lead me in circles, either returning me to the main help topics page or telling me 'that page is not available in your region'. This is also the response I receive after attempting to fill in a support query, so I don't think they'll ever see my question.

From what I can piece together from google-translated pages, there is a shortened User ID which I should use in place of the e-mail address I use to log in to DMM. All well and good, but when I enter this and my DMM password into SoftDenchi, the response is "Fail to login (11802)."

My game is useless. I don't know how to contact DMM support as I doubt they read the mailbox that sends out order confirmations.

My two guesses are that either they are supposed to send me some credentials in a separate e-mail and I just need to be patient, or... maybe my password is too long (16 characters) and needs to be shortened.

Can anyone clue me in on this? Thanks!

I'm not sure. First time I run a game, I just have to put in my email address and DMM password and the game will run just fine. Have you tried logging in with your email address?

Thanks for the tips. Let me give you more info in case it helps:

I have set up a Win7 VM on a Win10 machine to run Japanese games. I find that when I use Win7 'Extract All' or .7zip to extract files in the VM that the file names do not come out in proper Japanese characters. I can copy the files to a USB stick and take them to an OSX machine and unpack them with The Unarchiver.app, and I get proper file names. I can copy the results to the USB and transfer them back to the Win10 machine. The contents of text files, however are munged characters instead of proper Japanese. So maybe my unarchive process is to blame.

I can find the SoftDenchi app and run it manually. I think that what's supposed to happen is that running the game will pull up the window automatically (or maybe present it's own challenge and feed the results to SoftDenchi). When I run the game, it doesn't seem to load. I get no response and there is nothing listed in task manager. If I run as administrator I'm prompted whether I want to let the game 'make changes to the system' but nothing happens beyond that.

Did I break something unpacking?

I tried my e-mail address and went digging in the help pages when that didn't work. There is an account information screen with a shorter User ID that apparently is used as a substitute for e-mail addresses that are too long to enter into the tool. I'm guessing you can use e-mail address if it's short enough or the User ID if you want/have to. Both give me "Fail to login".

To bypass the region locks use Hola for Chrome, it will let you browse any region locked pages, once installed just click the Hola icon and select Japan and you can view any part of DMM and google translate will still work.

Reactions: Hunter Rose
So far, all the games I've bought from DMM don't need installation. I can start playing as soon as I finish downloading and extracting them. And yes, when you first play the game (run the game exe) the DRM window will pop up automatically asking for your email address and password. After that the game will run.

I don't think email address length would be an issue. That virtual Win7 looks suspicious though. Do you need your virtual Win7 for something? Have you tried going through everything on your Win10?

Also, could you give a screenshot of those illegible characters, and that 'charge code' utility?

So far, all the games I've bought from DMM don't need installation. I can start playing as soon as I finish downloading and extracting them. And yes, when you first play the game (run the game exe) the DRM window will pop up automatically asking for your email address and password. After that the game will run.

Nothing pops up. There's no evidence the game executed at all. Perhaps I broke something installing SoftDenchi?

That virtual Win7 looks suspicious though. Do you need your virtual Win7 for something? Have you tried going through everything on your Win10?

I'm running the VM to isolate the effects of running Japanese apps from the rest of the system. I'm experimenting with the proper setup. I can kill and reinstall a VM much easier than having to recover the machine if I ruin the system. I'm using Local Emulator to run individual programs in Japanese, or switching to Japan local and language when that doesn't seem to work.

Also, could you give a screenshot of those illegible characters, and that 'charge code' utility?

I'll cobble something up and post an update.

Minor update while I'm here:

- The 'munged characters' in text files weren't. I realized I had to run Notepad in Japan Locale to read them properly.
- DMM recommends LHAForge as it's unzipping alternative. This seems to generate the same munged file names as Windows built-in zip does.

Screen shots to follow.

Here are some screen shots.

1. Downloaded file.jpg
2. Windows extraction.jpg
3. LhaForge extraction.jpg
4. 7zip extraction.jpg
5. 7Zip Japan extraction.jpg
6. OSX extraction.jpg
7. SoftDenchi download.jpg
8. SoftDenchi startup menu.jpg
9. SoftDenchi menu options.jpg
10. SoftDenchi member's tool.jpg

Last screenshot.

I don't recall which hoops I jumped through to install SoftDenchi. I believe I ran it under Locale Emulator. It performed a standard wizard install and seems to be functional, but perhaps I did something wrong so the game cannot see it and quits immediately?

11. SoftDenchi charge number.jpg

Okay. It seems that member's tool has nothing to do with your account.

Forget everything after 7. Once you install SoftDenchi, you can forget about it. There's no need to open it manually. All you have to do is just run the game, and SoftDenchi will pop up asking for your email and password.

If nothing happens then clearly there's something wrong. If the game doesn't see or recognize SoftDenchi, it will prompt you to download SoftDenchi. But if nothing happens at all then I assume the game does recognize SoftDenchi but something is preventing it from running. I really have no idea what it is though.

Since I don't use VM, I don't think I can give any useful advice about it.

Okay. This is the advantage of using a VM. I can clone a fresh one and start from scratch. I'll try unpacking the game and running it without installing SoftDenchi and see if it does anything.

By the way, the window that prompts you to download SoftDenchi looks like this.

29x7prn.jpg

I can't duplicate the window that asks for your email and password though. It's a one-time thing. Once I register a game, I can play it forever. But it's similar to pic 10.

Thank you. I was about to post a minor update:

Hmmm... I just noticed that the Windows 7 VM image I downloaded from MicroSoft is 32 bit instead of 64. I'm guessing this is not the problem because Japanese games have been out before 64 bit operating systems but I mention it just in case it makes everyone slap their foreheads.

Okay! All's well - though I'm not sure what I did differently...

- Created a new VM
- Added Japanese language pack and Locale Emulator
- Installed 7zip
- Copied game zip to VM desktop
- Ran 7zip in Japanese Locale to unzip to VM desktop
- Ran the game in Japanese Locale, got SoftDenchi install prompt as you indicated.
- Used the button to get to the download page, downloaded and ran installer in Japanese Locale
- Ran the game in Japanese Locale, got sign in prompt and used DMM e-mail and password.

It works! Opening SoftDenchi shows the entry for the game with unlimited use.

I don't know if the problem was running the game from a directory not based on the desktop, or I installed SoftDenchi wrong the first time.

NEW QUESTION: I have 'unlimited' use of the game but is it tied to my VM or can I install it again on another VM/computer without running into licensing issues?

Thanks for your help (and patience)!

Okay! All's well - though I'm not sure what I did differently...

- Created a new VM
- Added Japanese language pack and Locale Emulator
- Installed 7zip
- Copied game zip to VM desktop
- Ran 7zip in Japanese Locale to unzip to VM desktop
- Ran the game in Japanese Locale, got SoftDenchi install prompt as you indicated.
- Used the button to get to the download page, downloaded and ran installer in Japanese Locale
- Ran the game in Japanese Locale, got sign in prompt and used DMM e-mail and password.

It works! Opening SoftDenchi shows the entry for the game with unlimited use.

I don't know if the problem was running the game from a directory not based on the desktop, or I installed SoftDenchi wrong the first time.

NEW QUESTION: I have 'unlimited' use of the game but is it tied to my VM or can I install it again on another VM/computer without running into licensing issues?

Thanks for your help (and patience)!

Glad to hear that.

'unlimited' means you can install it as many times as you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Mistersmiles wrote on ramori's profile.
Hi Ramori,

Could you please upload this? https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01168783.html

Thanks a ton.
seviness wrote on Shine's profile.
can you reupload this? thx.

✨Shine✨[240412][グラス] 洗脳悪堕ちSRPG~トルカ教団の野望~ [RJ01166925]

Isagi wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, can you please upload this?
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/request-rj01183696-ムラムラ村-or-muramuramura-ピンクコーポレーション-新米olの淫らな闘い.1472795/
Thanks
Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?