Compress of not to compress Drive C - is it a wise move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsdu

Mein 3D Waifu
Elite Member
Nov 29, 2010
As y'all have read the title, is it a good idea to compress Drive C to save disk space?
Would it make the PC to run slower, even the different is not noticeable?

Reason I ask this is coz my HDD that I'm using for my Drive C is an 80GB IDE HDD. Been using it since 2005.
But since I changed my OS to Windows 7, the free space left in it became smaller to several GBs left.
I've tried uninstalled any non-Windows related program, and reinstalled them into my other 2 HDD, but I'm kinda short on 1-2 GB in Drive C, to enable me to burn my DVD disk.

Any idea regarding the consequences of compressing the Drive C?

Me neither.
I'd suggest you to get one of those 'lite' releases that are floating around (eg this one http://1337x.org/torrent/231449/Windows-7-Ultimate-SP1-32bit-Lite-700MB/ ) to save disk space.
Lite versions mostly come without drivers which take up lots of space assigned to default windows installs so you should have yours ready before you switch.
Alternatively, go back to windows xp (although it's rather outdated nowadays) if you really don't want to spend some bucks on a cheap samsung hard disk.

Reactions: alexsdu
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
[MENTION=13893]Squiggy[/MENTION], I'm using an original copy of Win7 Home Premium 32-bit. Would the 'Lite' release that you linked to me work with my original Win7's CD-key?

Is there any other way the does not require me to format my PC?

That would depend on whether it's cracked.
Most releases in the OS area are precracked or cracked during install, eg. MADMAX / BIE.
I think your best guess would be to change the key after your new installation but do note that Home Premium keys only work on home premium releases.

Another option would be to download vlite and build your own install disc to install win 7 from which also ensures that your key works with it.

Small tweaks like disabling system restore, keeping your disk clean with cleaning tools like ccleaner and lowering the space assigned to your Recycle Bin also help.
Windows 7 itself takes advantage of lots of prefeatured drivers - if you're into it, delete some of them (read: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29333 ).

[MENTION=159]alexsdu[/MENTION]

Like everyone said, it is not advisable to compress the OS partition 'cause it'll slow your processes down. A LOT.

I also do not suggest getting the modified "lite" Windows 7 installers. You'll just regret it later. Why? Because based on my experiences on using and testing a lot of OSes including modded windows and some linux kinds, the lite versions of Windows 7 could get kinda buggy or unstable at times.

And unlike Windows 7 Ultimate, this lite version is just like a modded version of Windows 7 starter. It lacks the necessary stuff you'll want and need to fully enjoy the Windows 7 experience. If you really want to use Windows 7, you'll really need to upgrade your HDD or compromise the remaining space. Or, alternatively, just go back to Windows XP.

Regarding the cracks, I can give you this what they call "Loader" to crack and validate your windows 7 installation. Just don't enable auto-updates of course.

If ever you'd decide to go back to XP but you really want a taste of 7's visuals and eye candies, there's also still a solution. PM me if you're interested. =)

Umm...Alex, you could just go and get a new and bigger hard drive...

Since you got an 80gb, you'd be on IDE right? Just go online and find a good "new" hdd for about 30-50 bucks.

Oh, yeah, it's also not a very good idea to try and compress a hdd unless you really don't care about performance and stuff...(I just know this by having done this a few times when Win2k was still the king :D)

Last edited:
[MENTION=4809]Will98[/MENTION] I do planning on buying newer HDD for my Drive C, in the near future. :P
Currently the price for HDD is Malaysia, probably SE Asia, are a lil' bit high, due to the flood that hit Thailand last year. Rumours has it that the HDD manufactures tried to fill in the Europe and America's supply demand of HDD first, thus that Asian region have HDD shortage. But then again, it's just rumours.

But, like what many people said, "While it still got breath in it, use it to the limit."

Well Alex, you could buy the drive off a computer site in the US... The price for a IDE drive (guessing that's what you have), is about 70 for a 500gb drive.

An external drive at about 600gb would be around 60 and an internal sata is around 70 for a 500gb, or you could just grab a 2tb drive just over 110.

True, they're cheap, barely, until you add the shipping fee. Then it's just the same.
Plus, there would be some problem in claiming the warranty, if anything goes wrong to the HDD.

Well if he managed to keep it as low as to work with an 80GB disk, he'd probably be fine with around 250GB, splitting the hdd into two partitions of 25GB and 225GB (calculation error herpderp included) - maybe some WD green because it's the cheapest and yet one of the most reliable disks WD has to offer.

The last resort to keep your install size as low as possible would be to install DSL - damn small linux - which is around 50mb in total while still maintaining general support for hardware~

Last edited:
For y'all information, only my Drive C HDD is an IDE. My other 2 HDDs are SATA.

Well, I knew you first he'd was an IDE. If you look in the right places, you can find a 500gb - 1tb for like....60-110 dollars.

But again, I'm against you compressing your hdd. You will only save about 7-15 gb depending on the drive.
If you compress your c: drive you will probably only save at most 6gb...

You won't save a lot of space compression your drive. The compression is only good if you have lots of text file (html/scripts/documents and stuff, those that are popular for website). Compression is only good back in the old days when I bought a 2GB HDD for 350$ and that I run a webserver (.html or stuff like that)

Though, with the cost of storage being reduced to pennies per GB, nobody ever bother to compress it anymore. You get a great penalty on speed, latency and processing power, which is much more expensive than the storage cost itself. It also tend to kill your HDD faster due to the increase cycle of read/write, and eat more electricity.

-> This is a no brainer question, the answer is obviously never.

There's the "nail in the coffin".
LOL. Thanks guys, for all the advises.

For now, I wouldn't compress my Drive C. And as for the replacement HDD, probably I'm gonna do it middle of this year, at the earliest. If not, then later of the year.
One way or another, my PC have long overdue for it's yearly format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

somacruz63 wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
momoka1919 wrote on Shine's profile.
Sorry, The title of "this" is different, but the correct title is"ド変態ドM&腹黒メイド服『ハイポリボディ版』+EXキャラビジュアル強化パック" This data does not contain "ハイポリボディ版". Please upload that data.
Hoppou wrote on Otokonoko's profile.
this person got some good stuff, plz upload them...https://vrsexfriend.fanbox.cc/