Choosing the right NAS

shinigamidaiko

Mastermind
Elite Member
Jun 22, 2011
Hello again everyone, i hope you can give me your opinions on this matter. I'm planning to buy a NAS for the first time and i think about purchasing the Synology DS213. Here's what i need the NAS to do :

-Stream HD videos to my Laptop (windows 7 64 bit), my Nexus 7 tablet and to the WD TV Live (which i'm gonna buy too in the near future)

Please note that most of the videos have rates between 10 to 20 Mbps and some are Blu-Ray m2ts files with 40-50 mbps rate

I also watch 10-bit 1080 anime and i don't know if those work as well (i guess the laptop can handle them but i don't know about the Nexus 7 and the WD TV Live)

-Stream lossy music files (MP3 320K and 256 AAC) to the above mentioned devices.

-Download Torrent files in an autonomous manner (without using the laptop)

-Saving files from the two 3.0 USB drives attached to my desktop

Do you think that the Synology DS 213 is good choice, or go for a cheaper DS212j and in the opposite case wait for the new DS214 ?

I havent gone to much into details with nas boxes sorry as where i live in new zealand it is cheaper to buy Pc parts and use linux for it :).

As for the DS212j i wouldnt really want to touch it as it only have USB 2.0 ports unlike the others which have 3.0, although depends on the transfer speeds you want there.

One thing to recommend is when you get the nas box Change the password and make sure it is secure as you dont want people getting in.

Well i do need ultra fast speeds for transfer between the drives and the NAS so i guess the DS212J is a big no, but i will wait for more insight about the DS213 :)

The DS213+ is a more expensive and its processor isn't compatible with all the packages made by the Synology community. And besides it's more aimed at offices not homes, well that's just what i read :)

In my experiece, those NAS perform very bad, but cost much more than to build a NAS yourself.

However you gonna need a lot of skills and expertise to build one yourself.

I'm using a custom storage server (can't really call it NAS) that capable of doing everything above, with a 120TB total storage capacity.

Reactions: shinigamidaiko
I have been told that a lot of times, and i know for fact that building my own NAS will give me a much better price/storage ratio. But as you said it, i need a lot of skill and expertise to make one, which i frankly lack. And again, 120 TB is astonishing for a capacity. I dream of having enough money to buy even 8 or 12 TB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Khroad Law Professional Corporation is a multi-service law firm located in Brampton. We provide legal services in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Immigration Law, Corporate Law, Wills & Estate, and Civil Litigation.
Nagomikaze wrote on Shine's profile.
Hey, do you have a working Textractor hook for this release? I can only hook the base game. Thanks in advance!
feschrfrvdh wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi. I need your help once again. would you upload ここから夏のイノセンス!OST?
nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.