Best Hardware MediaPlayer for watching anime?

MrPilipo

Jul 30, 2011
I currently own WDTV Live, plays almost everything I throw at it and supports every needed type of subs. It has one big minus tho, it ignores formatting and positioning info defined within subtitles and is also unable to display more than one sub at a time (especially annoying when there are subs for ost and dialogs at the same time).
In (more or less) near future I'm planning to replace my Atom N330 based NAS with AMD APU based HTPC, so that will solve all my problems with media playback.

That aside, I was wondering if there is any standalone media player that fully supports subs you can find with anime releases?

Office PC + DirectX 9 accelerated GPU + PotPlayer - plays everything. ;)

I usually watched anime/movie from my PC using MPC from CCCP.
Can play almost all formats on it own, except for Real Media where I have to download the program 1st in order for the MPC able to play it.

*MPC - Media Player Classic
**CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack

I usually watched anime/movie from my PC using MPC from CCCP.
Can play almost all formats on it own, except for Real Media where I have to download the program 1st in order for the MPC able to play it.

*MPC - Media Player Classic
**CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack

Same here as well^^ MPC plays literally everything~ At least, most of the formats I usually use.

I'm using MPC myself to playback stuff on my PC. Having to plug my laptop to TV every time I want to watch something became a bit annoying after time, thats why I turned to standalone HARDWARE media player (previously mentioned WDTV Live).

I have a WDTV Live as well. The video and audio playback is great, but I agree that the way it handles subs is horrible. I've been thinking about replacing it with a Dell Zino 410 running XBMC. I was considering the Boxee Box since it was supposed to handle fancy subs, but with Dell coupons I can get the Zino for not much more money. I imagine even a bare bones HTPC with XBMC would out perform any set-top box anyway.

Reactions: MrPilipo
I managed to get hold of a extra laptop around with a good cpu and gpu to use solely as a media server of sorts. Using MPC with a CUDA accelerated GPU for my playback needs.

Haven't got the answer I was hoping for so far, but at least you proved that my idea to build PC based HTPC/NAS is right =)

That aside, I was wondering if there is any standalone media player that fully supports subs you can find with anime releases?

I was about to tell you to go and grab an APU, seems you did. Install CCCP + Media Player Classic will give you an ability to play virtually all newly encoded video.

Don't be fooled by the simple interface of that Media Player Classic. Though, you will need a remote control for it, there's two way, either grab a remote keyboard (this or this)

Optionally, you can use the remote control function of MPC, either via your laptop/primary PC (using the remote control function inside MPC) or an android phone (search in the android market for MPC remote control). Do note that your PC or devices must sit on the same network of your HTPC.

Both option have its pros and cons

I've never used WD Live TV or alike device, due to the fact that it skips all the formatting and shit. I have a fairly strong HTPC that I used for other functionality, such as remote transcoder and to play eroge on my 52" Panel with full surround setup (main purposes)

Last edited:
don't kill me but, VLC...

I know people really have a hate on for the little cone but I truly think its a great player. simple interface, plays anything and everything you throw at it, does 720p on atom-based netbooks and to top it all off, its cross platform so I can run it on my linux box!

MPC-HC w/madVR it plays all the media file I watch plus the new Hi10 encodes. Too bad the developers of madVR doesn't see any benefit of going to 64 bit.

I wonder if ANY set-top-box supports Hi10p... highly doubt it, only thing I have that supports it is MPC-HC, used to watch my anime primarily in XBMC but that barfs on 10bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Anchobee wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, thanks for the upload of RJ01150742, seems like you locked the rar for mp3 so can I have the pw for it?
At West Metro Dental, our goal is to provide you with dental care services to keep your teeth and gums healthy and attractive.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s,
when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.
unownHGSS wrote on Infamous's profile.
/me tackles .... Old habits die hard :3
unownHGSS wrote on nanashi1's profile.
Oi 7shi, not sure when you see this but hope you're doing well! The nostaliga is real haha