Anyone play older VNs and Eroge on Windows 10? I want to upgrade but I'm nervous about being unable to play some of the classics

ForbiddenOne

Elite Member
Oct 9, 2011
I've had some bad experiences with some older games no longer working even in compatibility mode once I've upgraded to a newer version of windows, and I just thought I'd ask.

First of all, let's take in count some facts we learned when we jumped to Windows 7:
- The old games, really old games (The ones for Windows 95/98/Me or older) don't work at all or worked a little or sometimes had issues(graphical, sound broken,...).
- The less older games, designed for Windows XP or near that, most of them we can make them work, but there's lot of exceptions and a lot that work more or less or working bad, having to apply patches.

And then people started moving to Windows 8, knowing that there were issues already with games on Win 7 with old games, and not so old (2006-2007 and after). So we got less compatibility with them.

Finally, people moved to Windows 10, and a lot of people have problems with old games and not so old, and game cracks/no-CD executables that doesen't even function.

So, if you're planning to play an old game, i suggest for all of you to have a Win 7 on the same PC(if you want something that still it's a not-too-old OS), or here's another way:
- Buy the remastered/HD versions of the game, or download the ones that have surfaced on the net, of course. There are some games that have got their HD version or a newer version compatible but haven't got released on the open net, so you'll have to think to spend money on them in order to play it.

If not:
- Have a virtual machine with old OS installed and use that to play games that were designed for that OS without any worries. Hardware Virtualization is your option if you want so badly play them without having any issue and you can play them while you are on Windows 8/10 because it's virtualized with VMWare Player (free)/Workstation(paid) or VirtualPC or VirtualBox(free)
- Have another PC or install in your pc an old OS on another HDD. For example: I have different PC's (older pc's and newer) to play each game according to what it needs(if the game it is for Windows98, i put it in my Windows98 PC, if it's for Win7, i'll put it on my newer PC)

From my point of view, to play eroge i'd recommend to stay on Windows 7, because a lot of games continue to be compatible(not all, but newer i can say YES) with that OS.
Why? Because i don't have any PC with Windows8 or 10 because the software i use doesen't need them by now, even my other software i use for work purposes and other projects, still supporting Windows7 with no objections. So the thing is... If you really need or want to make the jump to Windows 8 or Windows 10, or if you don't need yet the newer OS, don't do it and that's the solution.

Conclusion for all of this, in short what i explained:
- If you download want to play old games(not counting the fixed version), it would be better to use what they did have on the minimum requirements.
- If you download old FIXED games for the NEW Operative Systems, they'll work like a charm.

Sorry for the long post and i only and exclusively only wanted to state the facts and tell what you can do quick to resolve this issue, faster. In case somebody thinks i am just ranting, this is only my sole opinion on this, nothing else. You're free to think other ways, but i want to have an efficient approach on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

nobis_c wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, do you have the update for this? It got major bug fixes.
クロア×スクランブル to v24.04.24 / v1.092
tintin0821 wrote on Nihonjaki90's profile.
Hi, Nihonjaki90-san.
Could you reupload this game? Thanks in advance.
LazuH1KKA wrote on Shine's profile.
GuRu wrote on Esan's profile.
https://www.anime-sharing.com/threads/200828-innocent-grey-虚ノ少女《new -cast-remaster-edition%E3%80%8B-%E3%83%91%E3%83%83%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E7%89%88.1289457/を katefile または mexashare またはrosefileに再アップロードして頂けますか。