ChewToy's Education Corner for newbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChewToy

Dec 15, 2010
For anyone out there new to anime, there are odd words that you don't understand. Those odd words mixed in are Japanese and usualy refer to a genra or character. To try to save you the time of looking them up and to keep me from getting even more bored, I have decided to help. I remember the words I looked up in the beginning. Some meant fun, some were..."Eeeeewwwww!". From time to time I will fill this with things newbies might want to know, or not. Maybe it's just for me. Who knows?

The word of the day (and one of my favorites) is:
Yuri (genre)
Yuri (百合?), also known by the wasei-eigo construction Girls' Love (ガールズラブ gāruzu rabu?), is a Japanese jargon term for content and a genre involving love between women in manga, anime, and related Japanese media. Yuri can focus either on the sexual, the spiritual, or the emotional aspects of the relationship, the latter two sometimes being called shōjo-ai by western fans.

The themes yuri deals with have their roots in the Japanese lesbian literature of early twentieth century, with pieces such as Yaneura no Nishojo by Nobuko Yoshiya. Nevertheless, it is not until the 1970s that lesbian-themed works began to appear in manga, by the hand of artists such as Ryoko Yamagishi and Riyoko Ikeda. The 1990s brought new trends in manga and anime, as well as in dōjinshi productions, along with more acceptance for this kind of content. In 2003 the first manga magazine specifically dedicated to yuri was launched under the name Yuri Shimai, followed by its revival Comic Yuri Hime, launched after the former was discontinued in 2004.

Although yuri originated in female-targeted (shōjo, josei) works, today it is featured in male-targeted (shōnen, seinen) ones as well. Yuri manga from male-targeted magazines include titles such as Kannazuki no Miko and Strawberry Panic!, as well as those from Comic Yuri Hime's male-targeted sister magazine, Comic Yuri Hime S, which was launched in 2007.

Way to much to read? Basically Yuri means girl on girl love. a good example is ... actually forget me putting an example here. I went to look for one on you-tube. That was 2 hours ago. Sure you can find it on your own. If not then press ctrl+F4. That will solve it.

Bah. 600 channels and nothing worth watching on tv. Sad. That means it's time for another installment here.

The word of the day "Yuri" is similar to the word "Yaoi". Both start with Y and have 4 letters so are easily confused when learning these things. Though they look similar they are opposites in a sense.

Yaoi and shōnen-ai as far as I can tell share the same meaning. Yaoi or Boys' Love, is a Japanese popular term for female-oriented fictional media that focus on homoerotic or homoromantic male relationships. Yea. Man on man generally written by women for women.

I won't judge. I am in no position to do so. lol I'm just sayin', depending on your tastes you should watch the spelling.

That's it for today's lesson. See ya!

How did I missed the 1st session?
My brain thirst for more knowledge.

aside from the historical aspect of the first session we did not learn anything outside of common knowledge -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest profile posts

Seiki wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please reupload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ423317.html

a new ep is come but i need old ep (sorry for my eng skill)
thank you.

How to Start a NEMT Business in Idaho?

Discover the essential steps and regulations for launching a Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) business in Idaho, from licensing to operational setup, ensuring compliance and success in the healthcare transportation industry.

Read More: https://medium.com/@nemtclouddispatchsoftware/how-to-start-a-nemt-business-in-idaho-45cd46c150ee
mozzamezo wrote on Shine's profile.
Hi, could you please re upload this?
https://www.dlsite.com/maniax/work/=/product_id/RJ01177568.html/?locale=en_US

Thanks in Advance
coolguy12346789 wrote on Shine's profile.
Koskas wrote on Ryzen111's profile.
Hi, can you update this game? New version fix the character skin chage bug. This bug will cause the game can't interactive with anything.